Homeless Cats at Petsmart

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got home from Petsmart buying some cat food and I was looking at the homeless kitties up for adoption except these were 2-3 year old cats. Are you really allowed to go in and play with them? Two of them looked so friendly and wanted attention, I just wanted to go give them some for a few minutes, but I wasn't sure if the public was able to do that. As soon as I walked up to the window this orange male tabby immediately got down from where he was laying and went on a pillow and started kneading it like he was so happy someone was looking at him. It looks like they had a play room next to the cages and everything from a cat condo to a wand toy for you to play with the cats. They were listing one as a russian blue (I don't think it was purebred but it was such a pretty, loveable kitty anyway!) I want to bring them all home, but I know I can't
So that's why I was wondering if I could play with them the next time I go in there!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet next time you are there, if you go ask an employee, they might let you play with the kitties.

*Just a warning though, the last two times I did that, I ended up bringing a cat home. Now Hubby doesn't let me go there anymore.

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fuzzles

I just got home from Petsmart buying some cat food and I was looking at the homeless kitties up for adoption except these were 2-3 year old cats. Are you really allowed to go in and play with them? Two of them looked so friendly and wanted attention, I just wanted to go give them some for a few minutes, but I wasn't sure if the public was able to do that. As soon as I walked up to the window this orange male tabby immediately got down from where he was laying and went on a pillow and started kneading it like he was so happy someone was looking at him. It looks like they had a play room next to the cages and everything from a cat condo to a wand toy for you to play with the cats. They were listing one as a russian blue (I don't think it was purebred but it was such a pretty, loveable kitty anyway!) I want to bring them all home, but I know I can't
So that's why I was wondering if I could play with them the next time I go in there!
Well, I adopted my kitten from petsmart, and unless you're adopting, you aren't allowed to play with the kitties. Yeah, it sucks I know.

The thing is, I was working for petsmart at that time too!

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I go in there to pet them all the time! I can't resist petting every animal (owned or up for adoption) when I am in Petsmart!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I bet next time you are there, if you go ask an employee, they might let you play with the kitties.

*Just a warning though, the last two times I did that, I ended up bringing a cat home. Now Hubby doesn't let me go there anymore.
That's what I'm worried about. I really don't need to bring another kitty home hehe. But its so tempting to want to go play with them.

dolomite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
fill out an application (which they keep on file). Then you can visit whoever you want as often as you want.

I brought home Lobo from a Petsmart in South Milwaukee 3 months ago. Just like the local shelters, before you can have any one-on-one time with the potential adoptees, they want a little info from you.

They do this for the cat's safety (among other reasons).

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The PetSmarts in our area let you go in and pet them, as long as the rescue organization isn't cleaning the cages and the cats are out running around or something. I go pet them and talk to them all the time. In fact, I've been there so often that the regular rescue volunteers recognize me and wave me in while they're out running around so I can play with them.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted my two through Petsmart. I did fill out an application the first time around. The second time I happened to be there when the shelter manager was there,and she let me in to play with the potential adoptees (she remembered my girl by name). Brought home my boy that weekend.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dolomite

fill out an application (which they keep on file). Then you can visit whoever you want as often as you want.

*snipped*

They do this for the cat's safety (among other reasons).
Yes, they do for safety and their health. I volunteer at my local county shelter (and we have cats at Petsmart). Everyone wants to come in and hold the kitties, but they have to fill out an application and get what we call a 'cat pass' to hold anyone. We also max it out at 3 cats. That's partly logistical... we have hospital type gowns you have to wear over your clothes, and they get changed for each cat (again, health: URI)... so limiting to three per pass means less laundry... and also it helps us cut down on cross contact. You get up to three and that's it. Any more than that and we start to wonder if you're serious...

We now allow people to touch the cats while in their cages... but they HAVE to wash their hands between each cat. No exceptions. We see you breaking the rules, we give a warning once, maybe twice, keeping an eye on you the rest of the time. If you continue to break the rules, we do ask you to leave the cattery. We do it for their health. If a cat comes down with a URI, and esp. during the height of kitten season, an adult will likely get put down, as we don't have the room to care for sick kitties in isolation.

Sorry for the long post... but that's the reason...

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few times asked to pet kitties and they let me. Only thing was we had to use hand sanitizer before and after touching.

I didn't fill out anything until we found the cat of our dreams.

Leslie

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really, it depends on the rescue organization and what that particular group's rules are regarding interacting with the cats. Some of the older Petsmarts are set up so that you can do right in. The newer ones are locked and you have to gain access.

If I am in cleaning and I am near the end, I will let people come in one at a time to visit a bit... when folks come with herds of kids.. and this is simply entertainment for the little ones, then no.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Whatever pet store I am at, there are always adopt a cat days. DH, Jen, Ben, our two budgies, and Butzie won't let me go to these days alone because I might just adopt a few more cats.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can see pictures of the kitties up for adoption on petsmart.com. Just put in your zip code and it will give you photos and descriptions.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Hennessy from Petsmart (technically from the cat rescue that partners with the local petsmart, but whatever,
). I'd seen him on the rescue's site, but until I saw him at the store and sat down and he turned on the love I didn't know he was MY cat.