Do You Feed Your Cat(s) Any of These Brands?

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, anyone here feed their cats these brands of dry food?

Natural Balance
Organix
Solid Gold
Castor & Pallux Natural Ultramix

Which brand of wet food do you feed them?

Are baby meats bad for them since they contain corn starch?

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

Natural Balance
Organix
Solid Gold

No, I don't feed any of those brands of dry food - however, as for wet food, i feed them nature's variety instinct.

And yes, baby meats aren't really good because they contain corn starch.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
corn starch in baby meat is dine... you need to watch FOR ONIONS and GARLIC...

corn starch unless the cat is allergic wont do a thing...

organix has SOY in it so I wont use it

I have used Natural balance in the past , none of my animals did great so off to other foods ..

solid gold is a good on that often is successful when others are not ... down side it is very grainy and low in fat

castor and polluck s dehydrated fruits and veggies is a bit much for me

for baby food MOST stage ones meat s are meat and broth

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Natural Balance
Organix
Solid Gold

When you say baby meat, do you mean jars of baby food? I think it's fine as a treat as long as it's the stage 1 stuff where the ingredients are only chicken and water. That's not a complete food for a cat though because it doesn't have taurine, so it can't be their main diet.

I feed one of my cats the Natural Balance Ultra dry formula. I like it, but it's very high in calories, even compared to other dry foods. (For example, one cup of the Natural Balance Ultra has 553 calories, where 1 cup of Chicken Soup Adult dry food has 367. If you feed Natural Balance, just watch for any weight gain and keep track (that's true for any food I guess).

I have never fed the Solid Gold dry but I feed the wet food sometimes and my cats LOVE it. If it were less expensive I would buy it more often. I try not to feed too many wet foods that have fish in it but they love Solid Gold.

For wet food, I feed mostly Nutro Max because it's less expensive and then I also feed Natural Balance.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

castor and polluck s dehydrated fruits and veggies is a bit much for me
Even though thats in the food, there's surprisingly little of it added - I've even had several bags that had pretty much none added to it.
My cats love the banana bits however, it's the first thing they pick out of it if there's any in the scoop.

Price wise, there's similar foods that cost less.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I fed the natural balance duck/pea dry to my cat toby (possible food allergy).

He did ok on it (other than still having an allergic reaction)... It is pricey, but you can get coupons from the commpany and they have a buy (10 I think) bags get 1 free program... Also, it goes on sale at petco fairly regularly. You may also be able to get small samples from the company if you email them...I can't remember if they were one of the companies that sent me samples or not. All of my cats seemed to like the smell of the NB duck/pea and I had no problem getting toby to eat it.

As for wet, then only wet that I fed of those brands was the NB duck/pea and vennison/pea... Cats LOVED it! But, it is drier than most others I've used, so I had to add some water... It is also pretty pricey, unless you can get a discount on a case (the company also has coupons for, I think, $2 off the price of a case).

I have fed nutro natural choice, nutro max, authority, wellness, merrick, cal natural, and EVO cans... Of those, my cats seem to like the authority cans and the EVO cans the best...

Authority is cheap...at ~62 cents a can (6oz), loaf-style, and comes in many flavors...available at petsmart only and rarely goes on sale.

Nutro cans...are more expensive...~75 cents for the max and 85 cents for the natural choice... They DO go on sale and the company often has coupons or special offers... BUT I have never been able to get my cats to eat them...they don't seem to like the flavors.

Wellness is the most pricey of the cans I've fed...I actually had to order online. The cats only liked some of the flavors... I'd say the cans are at least twice as expensive as the two types I listed above. They do, though, offer some meat-only cans.

Merrick cans are more like a soupy mixture w/ chunks of this or that in them...My cats didn't care for them either. They are also pricey, although not as much as the wellness.

Cal. natural is available in big cans..12oz, so that's a bonus, as they are less expensive, then 2, 6oz cans. They're a little less than $1 each when I order a case on line. The bad news, is that my cats don't like them, or at least the chicken/rice flavor.

EVO makes regular cat/dog cans and they also have a 95% meat line, which is what I feed. I use the 95% chicken/turkey and beef...they also have vennison and duck. They come in the big cans also, and are about $1.20 a can when ordered by the case online.

I have also fed some of the lower quality cans...i.e. store brands, sheba, meow mix, etc. The big thing to watch out for is how much by-products, fish, and colorants are in them...The meow mix market select cups are not very bad quality, but they do all contain lots of fish...they are a "cuts in gravy" style, which my cats also didn't like.

For my money, the best "bang for your buck" is to go with authority cans or the larger cans of cal. natural or EVO IF you can find them at a good price locally.

HTH,
Art

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dear All,

Thank you so much for your input
it is very much appreciated!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine eat Nutro Max Gourmet Classics (Roasted Chicken) dry & They get Meow Mix Market Selects wet on occassion or Wellness wet.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Natural Balance
Organix
Solid Gold

We tried Natural Balance for a while. Both the regular and the lite formulas. One of my cats had a very hard time with it, and ended up barfing a lot.

You can get samples of Castor & Pollux if you email them. My cats weren't impressed with the samples we had.

Baby meats- I assume you mean like Gerber baby food? My cats really don't like it. They'd rather have canned cat food.

We never tried Solid Gold or Organix.

I'm feeding Iams Healthy Naturals dry, and Friskies/Fancy Feast/Meow Mix wets right now. Everyone's digesting it well and looks great. Their coats improved on Iams, we previously fed Nutro Max for dry. Stimpy also had digestion issues on Nutro and Nabu hated the new Max formula.

I'm a firm believer in try everything, see what they like and do best on.
We've used many different foods over the years (Nutro, Natural Balance, Sensible Choice, Iams, Eukanuba, Hill's prescription, Science diet, Pro Plan). We sampled even more than that. What we fed all depended on what worked best for the cats at that time.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'High End' would be great for Wet... But I feel my kitties get a Great Dry Food, I tried Wellness (they wouldnt touch it, licked the juice, left the rest), Merrick (wouldnt even touch it) & Natural Balance was a mixed Bag with the crew... Nutro, Castor & Pollux & a few others had mixed 'paw' reviews with my group...

So with Wet I went with what they will Eat & Makes them Happy

For Dry my Kitties eat 'Taste of the Wild'

For Wet my Kitties eat 'Meow Mix Market Select Cups'

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No dry food here, but I feed Solid Gold gourmet (this is what worked to transition my kitties from dry to wet) and Natural Balance (the six non-fish) wet flavors, as well as several others: Nature's Variety Instinct, Wellness (only the grain-free, non-fish), Innova Evo (every now and then), Chicken Soup, and Felidae.

Good luck with your choices! It took me a fair bit of research and a lot of trial and error, but I'm pretty pleased with the results. : )

A.C.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do not feed dry at all so for wet, currently I am feeding :-

Natural Balance
Wellness
Weruva
Solid Gold
California Natural
by Nature Organics
Wysong
Evangers
Felidae
Eagle Pack Holistic

I think baby food is just fine and like what sharky mentioned, stay away from onion and garlic.