possible mastitis????

mountaindew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Angel has begun to wean the kitten but he was nursing last night and I just checked her nipples yesterday and all looked fine and I could tell he was still nursing at least some because the one nipple she nursed on was still long and red (just the nipple) I let them out to run around and roam the house tonight and when I went to pick her up and put her back in my room there is a square (yes it is square/rectangle in shape) hard mass around the teat. it didn't feel warm but reminded me of what a matt feels like in long fur but she still doesn't have much hair and she is short hair and it was under the skin. is this mastitis???? I am calling the vet first thing in the morning to get her in to be checked but should I try a warm compress tonight? she isn't showing any other signs and was running around playing and is eating and drinking fine......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mountaindew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
do you know what they did for your brothers cat????

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me see if I can find his post when it happened. She was very sick because there was a dead kitten in her and had to be fixed fast. The Vet said to let the other Kittens nurse but she was to sick to nurse them. The Mastitis came because she was full of milk and not nursing.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is part of the post. Shadow is fine Now.
She gave birth on March 12 to 4 kittens. And once again gave birth to another a day later. Then the problems began. After a few days Shadow began having an unusual amount of discharge. I took her to the vet on the Thursday the 15th. They ran some tests and said to bring her back the next day. She ended up having an emergency hysterectomy. Her uterus hadn't contracted after she gave birth and there was an infection. After the surgery I took her home. The vet said that they had used internal stitches and that she would still be able to nurse. Sadly the kitten that was born late died on the 19th. It gets worse.

Everything was going well. Until Tuesday night. Shadow wasn't eating. She wasn't doing much of anything. I knew something was wrong. I took her to the emergency vet at midnight. Stayed up all night waiting for them to call. It turns out she had mastitis. Her fever was 105 when I brought her in. That morning I transfered her to my regular vet where she stayed for 3 days. Finally I got to take her home that Saturday. She was doing ok. I had to give her meds twice a day. But she could no longer nurse. I had to bottle feed the kittens. Once again, everything was ok for a few days. Luckily only one of her nipples had the mastitis. But even with the meds it got worse. It ruptured and she went back to the emergency vet on Wednesday the 28th and they cleaned out all the infected and dead tissue and stitched her up. She has a catheter to drain any excess fluids. She's going to the vet in few days to have the catheter removed and in a week to have the stitches removed. She is doing very well. She's acting like her old self again.

I was able to find a surrogate mother for the kittens. They are doing good. I get updates on them every day
Here's an update on Shadow. I had the drain removed on Thursday, the stitches come out in a few days.Everything is healing well. She's gonna have a big scar, but as the fur grows back it should cover it up a bit. She's a tough kitty. She's completely back to her old self again, she's even playing again. I spoke to my friend who is fostering the kittens, they are doing fine. I'll be able to take them home in a couple of weeks. I'm sure Shadow misses them.

That's all for now, I'll post another update soon.

mountaindew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks for the info. I took her to the vets today and we cought it fast. she said it wasn't black at all and was still warm and pink so that was good..... so she just needs antibiotics for a week and warm compresses at least twice a day and that should take care of it. she didn't even have a fever with it at all. The vet said that lancing it to drain it would actually make it worse since it would let more stuff in since it is just starting so that was good.

mountaindew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh and I took the kitten in too so the vet could see him since she just LOVES him! LOL he is now just barely over 2lbs at 7 weeks old he won't be 2 mo for another 12 days on the 21st!!!!!!! LOL She always comments on how BIG he is. he is really tall and long and has HUGE paws! LOL his paws are close to Angels size now.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your such a good mom to angel and the little guy!! I am glad to hear angel will be ok!

Anytime you want to post more pics of the little one **hint** feel free!!

mountaindew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Abby---- LOL on the hint. I will get more pictures soon and update expecially since it has been a couple weeks! He is such a little spitfire these days! woke me up the other morning at 7am attacking my head and my hair! UGH! I was NOT pleased. LOL And thanks for saying I am a good mom to them darn though wish they would slow down on the extra vet bills! LOL the shots and neutering I can deal with but EEKS with the c-section (so soon after my dog was very ill and then passed away and we spent over $1000 on him), then the mastitis! I am sooooooo ready to just have my healthy all set animals back! LOL so is my bank account!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mountaindew

Abby---- LOL on the hint. I will get more pictures soon and update expecially since it has been a couple weeks! He is such a little spitfire these days! woke me up the other morning at 7am attacking my head and my hair! UGH! I was NOT pleased. LOL And thanks for saying I am a good mom to them darn though wish they would slow down on the extra vet bills! LOL the shots and neutering I can deal with but EEKS with the c-section (so soon after my dog was very ill and then passed away and we spent over $1000 on him), then the mastitis! I am sooooooo ready to just have my healthy all set animals back! LOL so is my bank account!
He is so adorable!! I love naughty kittens!

The extra vet bills should level out now. Angel and the little guy look healthy and content! The food bills may grow judging from the size of the baby!

I am looking forward to more pictures. I really want to watch him grow up!

mountaindew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah they go through a TON of food! but Angel is getting quite chunky so NEED to get her off the kitten food which is easier said than done! LOL

OMG her mastitis is already soooooooooo much better! I get up this morning and it is already very soft and not as large as it was yesterday. so PHEW looks like we cought it VERY early.......