Movies you don't get

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever watched a movie that made you go "what the heck"? 12 Monkeys was on TV the other night and I've never been able to make sense of that one. I can't seem to figure out if Bruce Willis is really traveling back and forth though time, or if it's all in his head. Another movie I didn't understand was Donny Darko. That one was weird.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, there have been several!

The first that I remember not getting at all was "Pulp Fiction". It was hacked up and put back together in pieces so to see someone die in one scene only to have them alive and well in the next was just too stupid for words, I asked fora refund and left the theater.

Others that I just didn't get:

Ghost Ship (the ending)

The Fountain (According to the Synopsis it said something about a man trying to save his wife. I got so confused that I turned the channel before it was over. I just couldn't follow it.)

Lucky Number Sleven It sort of came together by the end, but not entirely.

The Number 23

The Shining When he started to go crazy trying to kill his wife and kid, and then his face appeared in an old photo, I was just so lost by that point. While I didn't get the movie, I greatly appreciated the Cinemaphotography.

The Blaire Witch Project While I understood the movie, it was sto stupid that I felt "good grief" at the end and my eyes were sore from rolling them

There have been a few others but I can't remember their names. I had to look up a few of the ones above.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I liked Donnie Darko - but I see how it can be hard to get lol

The movie I still haven't figured out is Vanilla Sky... it even caused a HUGE fight between me and the guy I was dating when I first saw the movie... he was a film major and literally got mad at me because I couldn't understand the movie - how crazy is that?!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the fountain for sure even though hugh jackman is pretty to look at!

also the movie dan in real life we got it but it was dumb!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, I love Vanilla Sky.
I could understand The Fountain OK too.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
American Psycho
The Blair Witch Project
Vanilla Sky
Jawbreakers
Virgin

i could go on! i've seen some weird movies

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Game.

It had a lot of twists and turns in the plot that kept me guessing what was going to happen through the whole movie.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think ANYBODY understood Pulp Fiction the first time they saw it. I know I didn't! And I didn't care enough to watch it a second time. I thought that was the most stupid movie I ever watched. Luckily, I only spent $2 for a rental instead of paying to see it in the theater.

Recently, DH and I watched "I am Legend". It wasn't bad (not great but not bad) until the end. We were both like...
??? That was it??? We were looking at each other in a daze. It was like the writers just didn't know how to finish it, so they just ended it in 2 minutes. I guess that was to put us out of our misery? Definitely a disappointment.

I know there are others. If I just don't get them, I definitely don't remember their names! Truthfully, I don't have a lot of high expections for movies these days. Not many have good story lines and try to cover that up with special effects, which are entertaining, but not what I'm looking for. Most I expect to be fluff, and that's what they are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw this one movie awhile back called Dead Girl. It's a thriller/mystery type but not real gory or anything.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the newer the movie, the more they suck! There was a movie on lifetime a day of two ago, and I didn't get it at all.... this woman killed her daughter, or either she drowned (mother said she drowned) then she got preg again, and was either crazy or suffering from post partem deppression, she though that the baby hated her and was evil... well at the end of the movie the baby is looking into the nanny cam, then the movie ended...... UGH.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

American Psycho
That movie is just plain WEIRD! I've seen it a million times though and having dated a film-y I do understand some of the character development/psychological aspects to his madness (and it was directed by a woman too making it all the more interesting from that point of view)... but none the less it is still very very strange! (And anytime I hear ANYTHING regarding Hewy Lewis I think of this movie
)

I saw American Psycho 2 once cuz it was on HBO and is was as most sequels are - most horribly worse than the first and was pretty much the same story just it was a chick as the main character

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I don't think ANYBODY understood Pulp Fiction the first time they saw it. I know I didn't! And I didn't care enough to watch it a second time. I thought that was the most stupid movie I ever watched. Luckily, I only spent $2 for a rental instead of paying to see it in the theater.

Recently, DH and I watched "I am Legend". It wasn't bad (not great but not bad) until the end. We were both like...
??? That was it??? We were looking at each other in a daze. It was like the writers just didn't know how to finish it, so they just ended it in 2 minutes. I guess that was to put us out of our misery? Definitely a disappointment.

I know there are others. If I just don't get them, I definitely don't remember their names! Truthfully, I don't have a lot of high expections for movies these days. Not many have good story lines and try to cover that up with special effects, which are entertaining, but not what I'm looking for. Most I expect to be fluff, and that's what they are.
Rent the DVD with the alternate ending. It follows the book more and is a MUCH better ending than was shown in the theaters!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
2001: A Space Odyessey....
was going on??

Talk Radio....just BAD!!

Children Of Men....the idea was there, but the movie wasn't. It piqued my interest JUST enough for me to watch the whole thing...what a waste of 2 hours!

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two films that boggled my puny little brain were the last James Bond with Daniel Craig and the last Harry Potter. I think it's just cuz they went on for too long, but after watching them both I still came out saying "huh?"

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

The movie I still haven't figured out is Vanilla Sky... it even caused a HUGE fight between me and the guy I was dating when I first saw the movie... he was a film major and literally got mad at me because I couldn't understand the movie - how crazy is that?!
Oh yeah! That was another one I didn't get. That and "Eyes Wide Shut" or something.
Maybe it's just a Tom Cruise thing that I don't get.....or it might be the whole Tom Cruise-Nicole Kidman pairing! lol

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

I also didnt see the point at all in There Will Be Blood.

I don't know if I didn't get There Will Be Blood, or was just so annoyed that I didn't care.

What I didn't get was all the praise heaped on it.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah there will be blood was dumb..

grindhouse!that was dumb
wolf creek
good god that movie was terrible

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with those who said Vanilla Sky....I tried watching that movie, but just didn't get it! Good thing I wasn't the one who paid the rental fee....