Sometimes our best isn't enough

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had to be put to sleep today. She had cancer. Very badly it turned out. She was a sweet cat, about a year old when she showed up on my porch. She had an injury on her jaw. We thought she'd been hit by a car. It took a bit to win her trust but we caught her and got her to a vet. We were wrong about her injury. It wasn't caused by a car but by cancer. The vet wasn't hopeful but he did the surgery anyway. Afterwards he was glad; he thought he'd got it all.

A week or two later, I noticed a bump. Hopefully, it was just an infected stitch. Back to the vet we went. We weren't so lucky. It was her cancer come back rapidly and with a vengeance. Our vet was about to leave for vacation so we waited until his return to do her second surgery. The vet wanted to amputate her lower jaw and I confess I had my reservations but she was such a sweet cat. I wanted to give her my best.

The surgery was today and when the phone rang I knew it wasn't news I wanted to hear. The cancer wasn't limited to her jaw but had spread to her lymph nodes and could have very well infected her whole body. The vet offered to remove her lower jaw anyway but said there wasn't much we could do for the rest of the cancer.

So we had her put to sleep and my husband and I buried her under the elm tree in our back yard. I know if was the right thing for her but I can't help feeling like a life that was so unique, so special has been lost to the world. Sometimes, our very best efforts aren't enough.

I don't know what you believe. I believe in the God of the Bible. After burying Cleo, I stood in my shower and prayed to God. "Your world isn't fair, God," I lamented. I think He just held me and showed me a healthy, cancer free Cleo and I had peace.

I will miss her all the same.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sometimes your best is enough because you are there to hold them through the worst of it. I'm sorry for your loss.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

I don't know what you believe. I believe in the God of the Bible. After burying Cleo, I stood in my shower and prayed to God. "Your world isn't fair, God," I lamented.
that's because we live in a fallen version

but you're right - Cleo is happy, healthy, & running around like a kitten again!
for Cleo - &
for you...

saundby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I believe in God as well, and that we'll have the ability to be with our special kindred spirits again. In eternity, our time here will seem fleeting though the bonds of love we make here have everlasting importance.

Take care,

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's such a sad story. You're a wonderful person for taking her into the vet initially instead of leaving her on the street like that. She passed away knowing she was loved instead of all alone. I'm so sorry for your loss.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Bless you for the love and compassion you showed for this precious cat. RIP sweet girl.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RIP little Cleo. The love you gave her was wonderful and left the world loved and cherished.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RIP little kitty... Hope she wasn't in any pain from the cancer...

faerie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss
As others have said though, Cleo felt love until the end... some others arent that lucky, you have to take comfort in the fact you did all you could!

Play well at RB Cleo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your encouragement. We certainly did all we could for her and I know she cared for us too. I'm just glad she didn't suffer needlessly.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost Cleo.
At least she knew your love before she passed. Even now she knows how much you love and miss her. RIP sweet Cleo.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss

She is playing cancer and pain-free over the bridge

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe in God, but I do believe in the karmic consequences of our actions. You and Cleo showed love and sweet tenderness toward each other. I believe that love will bring you back together again. In this lifetime or the next, whether on earth or in heaven.

I'm so sorry for the loss. I'm so glad Cleo experienced and returned love in her short life.