New here, need help w/meanie cat

goldilocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there - I hope you can help me!

A little background:
We've always been dog people, never had any cats. Finally, in Oct '06 we got our first kitty. (she'll be 2 this month) I made sure to ask lots of questions first and found I wanted a female (sis' male kitty sprays - ick!). We gave her a nice home, with an extremely patient and polite doggie, and we speak kindly around her.
But, as much as I love all animals, I think she's got a screw loose.

First, she doesn't meow, which is weird, but I'm okay with it.
She doesn't purr either. Or cuddle. Or rub up against us. Or want anything to do with any human, except on rare moments, she'll lick my arm, but only a couple of licks, then it's a bite and a hit.
She won't go on a couch, chair, or bed that is human-occupied.
She doesn't EVER want to be petted more than once. Even if she's just woken up, and I say a quiet hello to her and touch her, after the second stroke, she either bites, hits, or does the back-foot-bunny-kick. And it hurts!

She's mostly indoors, but if I'm out watering the garden, she and the dog come outside to enjoy the sunshine.

She will come up to me if I'm cooking to put her paws on the counter for food, but I only give her what I know is okay, nutritionally. She won't eat from my hand, but will take a few tastes from something on the floor.

I hold her (like a baby, peeping over the back of mom's shoulder) and at times she'll put up with it, but she's stiff and irritated till I put her down. Then she runs off.

I really want to be a cat mom, but is this kitty a lost cause?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are naturally like that. There is not much you can do, but learn to accept your kitty is like this. Every cat is different...you have to love them for who they are.

Is she spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldilocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Is she spayed?
Yes, she was spayed around 5½ months (that's what our vet recommended).

I forgot to mention - one time she did like us. We went out of town for a few days and had our neighbor come over to play with her. (so she'd see humans around, pretty much)
When we came home, I picked her up and I heard purring for about 10 seconds. She didn't bite that day, but did the next. We'd keep going away if we could, but that gets expensive!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I agree with Natalie. Some cats are just like that... I suppose that's where they get the reputation for being aloof and unfriendly.

Truth be told, soooo many cats are loving creatures.... sometimes people choose based on markings instead of personality. In rescue, I encourage people to look outside of their visual checklist. (ie: I want a gray tabby, etc.)

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats do seem to grow more affectionate and cuddly toward their owners as they age, I've noticed. There's hope for your cat, particularly because at 2 years old she's barely out of the adolescent stage... at this point she may be too energetic and playful to want to be held or petted long.

I'd recommend never picking her up, since she clearly doesn't like it. Some cats don't. And the fear that you may pick her up may be keeping her from approaching you more often. Similarly, never go to her to pet her, or pet her any longer than she wants (when you start to see her tail swishing quickly, she's irritated and wants you to stop).

I'd start over fresh, changing your behavior toward her. Try ignoring her completely for a few weeks, and letting her come to you when she wants to. Only pet her if she comes up to you first, and only very briefly. Cats really need to set the pace of interaction they prefer. Once she learns that you're not going to push attention on her that she doesn't want, she may be more affectionate on her own.

It's also possible the dog is bothering her or making her feel insecure around the house. Does he chase her? Does she have any private space she can retreat to where he can't get her?

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This might sound weird, but have you introduced her to catnip? I took in a stray a few months ago who has a moderately aloof personality but after a roll in catnip she becomes very affectionate. I've had other cats tho that were indifferent to catnip, so it must be an individual thing..

Also, does she interact with the dog at all? We have a young cat (the product of the preggo stray I took in) and this kitty is not much of a people-cat but she loves our dog. She sometimes sleeps with the dog and often nuzzles up against him. Lately tho the dog's been avoiding her because of the heat and she has become more affectionate with the family.

goldilocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

I'd start over fresh, changing your behavior toward her. Try ignoring her completely for a few weeks, and letting her come to you when she wants to. Only pet her if she comes up to you first, and only very briefly. Cats really need to set the pace of interaction they prefer. Once she learns that you're not going to push attention on her that she doesn't want, she may be more affectionate on her own.
I never thought that would work - what a fantastic idea! I will most definitely begin that tomorrow morning.

It's also possible the dog is bothering her or making her feel insecure around the house. Does he chase her?
Our dog is the most submissive, well-tempered sweet girl ever. She never chases the cat, and if the cat walks by her, she just looks, but doesn't bug.
A few times the cat got pretty ornery and hit the dog, but when the dog got up, the cat stopped and acted like it wasn't her. (if that makes sense!)

Does she have any private space she can retreat to where he can't get her?
Also, the dog doesn't go into any of our bathrooms, so the cat gets to hang out in there by herself. Most often she's laying in one of the sinks or the bathtub.

Originally Posted by Rotobay

This might sound weird, but have you introduced her to catnip?
if only catnip would work! I tried it when she turned one (I got her some toys with catnip, and also bought some catnip and made a toy for her) but she doesn't have any reaction to it. Fortunately, the toys didn't go to waste - my sisters cats love them

Thank you so much for your help - I appreciate it so very much!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe look into flower essences or Rescue Remedy to help keep her calm and secure feeling. Or a Feliway plug in (more expensive than essences or RR)

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway plug ins are wonderful.
Also I would look into cat behaviorists. Seriously. I have been told that cats like yours can turn around. Also learning cat communication helps. I learned about what different tail swishes meant, what whisker positions meant and so on.

goldilocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!
Missy, first off, your cats are just plain gorgeous!
I haven't heard of those items - are they an internet thing, or something I could find at a pet shop/ specialty shop?

CC12 - another idea I hadn't considered - although I have learned some from her tail swishes, I've mostly learned from her pupils.

As an update - we've gone 24 hours now with emmylou's ignoring suggestion. So far so good!

kat89447

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I could tell you that she will grow out of it, but some cats just don't. They are supreme rulers lol. I have one cat (2yrs) that will not let anyone pick her up except my daughter, and another cat that used to hide out so she could attack my hubby when he walked by. The second is very similar in temperment to yours. She is unpredictable and when we have guests over, I always let them know she is not sociable with people. She hates to be brushed, will let you pet her X amount of times then takes a sample of your skin. On the flip side, when she is outside she runs to get picked up and immediatly cuddles like an infant to me for the walk in, but startles easily. She now will sit in my hubby's lap and has quit stalking him, but she is what she is. I make sure we have alone time away from other cats every night and play with her (the crazy wheel is her favorite). She loves to sit in my lap when I am on the computer, but doesn't like me to initiate first contact. We now have an understanding and she has learned that bites and scratches will be disciplined. If she does this she loses lap time or gets put out of the room. In return I respect her personal space. She really is a wonderful cat and is now 13, but much like there are differences in people's temperment, there are differences in cats. She may mellow with age, but more likely you will both come to an understanding. By the way, she loves kittens when they are under 6 months old and she loves dogs and acts like a perfect cat around them. You might think about getting her a playmate of her own species and intoduce them very slowly and see if that changes the dynamics.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goldilocks

Missy, first off, your cats are just plain gorgeous!
I haven't heard of those items - are they an internet thing, or something I could find at a pet shop/ specialty shop?
Thanks

Over here Rescue Remedy and other essences are available at pharmacies (they are for people too) and Feliway from vets, you can also get them online.

http://www.bachflower.com/
http://catfaeries.com/

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the kitty. Like most have already said.... some cats are just like that. I've had about 15 cats in my lifetime. Ironically I've found the girls to be more aloof. BTW if you neuter a boy they very rarely spray. I only had one spayer in my life and it was years ago and I think it's because he was neutered at an older age. I had an aloof girl once named Penny and she did get more affectionate as she got older. So there's still hope.

In the future if you get another kitty a good idea is to get one from a foster home as they can tell you a little about the personality already. That's what I did with my 2 older boys.....the 3rd one just came to our house( stray) lol

goldilocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kat89447

I wish I could tell you that she will grow out of it, but some cats just don't. They are supreme rulers lol.
I think you hit the nail on the head, kat!

Sounds like you've met my little one! I would do anything to get lap time out of her! She won't sit on or near anyone. I have gotten semi close a few times, when she jumps onto my computer chair and sits behind me for a second. She does like being outdoors, but it's kind of hard to get her back in. She ignores us! I keep thinking she'll figure it out by watching the dog, but no luck so far.
Have I also mentioned that she doesn't come when we cal her? It's horrible! I'm forever searching for her. And, even if I'm telling her there's treats involved, she can't be bothered. I have a feeling if we get another animal, most likely it will be another dog.
thank you all so very much for the advice - it is so appreciated!!

PS - this is my Cypress Whitepaws:

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My female cat can be that way too. Largely it's personality but when she's ready for some loving, she comes and gets it. When she's not around looking for attention I ignore her like someone else suggested. She's very happy that way.

As a pet sitter, I've found that the quickest way to make friends with any animal is to never pet it, reach toward it, hold it or even pay too much attention to it until they first approach me. They feel more confident that way because they're in control of the environment. I've not yet met the animal I couldn't win over (to an extent anyway) by giving them lots of space.

The encouraging news is that cats often do start looking for more affection after the age of 2 so there's still a chance that she'll change. If not, strike a happy balance that suits you both!

P.S. Males might spray (some of them) but I've always found my males to be more attune to me than my females. Maybe that's just me!

goldilocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard of either of those for kitties, laureen - thanks for the link!!
I'm going to try the honeysuckle wood type first.
After reading about Valerian smelling very much (to humans) as sweaty socks (!), it's no wonder sis' cat keeps his head in my nephew's nasty-smelly shoes!! Maybe I'll get him some valerian.

howtoholdacat - very good advice! And, the cats I've known that were males have generally been much sweeter than girls. I just couldn't get over seeing the mess my sister's cat made. Of course, I shouldn't have worried - her male is also not typical in many other ways (of course, I found that out AFTER I'd gotten my cat!)

dawnalina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel you! My first kitty was the same way, very aloof and independent. I was so excited to get her and play with her and chased her around which probably made things worse!

Since then I've gotten a fabulous dog. But I still craved a cuddly kitty, and so I got one of those too! (A male, orange tabby ... very affectionate). So now I can appreciate my lil aloof princess for who she is and let her come to me when she wants love. I have the other two who are very affectionate.

So, that's how I solved my issue. I'm also hoping that she might get more affectionate with age. Time will tell, right?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goldilocks

Of course, I shouldn't have worried - her male is also not typical in many other ways (of course, I found that out AFTER I'd gotten my cat!)
Isn't that the way it goes sometimes! To be fair, my males beat my female hands down when it comes to destruction of the house. Of course, there are three of them.

The good news is that if you wanted to add another cat at some point, a young male would probably be the easiest to introduce to your existing kitty. You'll (with some luck) have a disciplined female to help keep him in line! And we all know that the males of all species benefit from having a female around!

goldilocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnalina

(A male, orange tabby ... )
ack! That's exactly what dh has been asking for!!
So much to think about!

Thank you all so very very much!!!
As of today, the ignoring is working pretty well

(I'll let y'all know if the honeysuckle wood worked)