Geez! I'm nervous!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In December 2006 I couldn't afford to pay almost $400 to renew my nursing license, so I opted to pay a lesser amount and go from "Registered Practicing" to "Registered Non Practicing." I did the same thing in December 2007.

Now that I'm getting ready to do a back to work program I need to renew my license in full and go back to "practicing" status. Talk about a hassel!! Had I known what was involved I would have somehow found a way to pay the full fee before.

When I send in the payment and the appliction for reinstatement, I also have to include an original copy of a Police Criminal Records Check. I didn't even need one of those when I graduated, wrote the nursing exam, paid my fees and got a job!

Anyway, I've never had a run in with the law other than the odd parking and speeding ticket, but I'm all nervous!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an ad at the local senior center and before they would include me in their list of contractors they did a criminal background check too. Quite the official form I had to complete and submit. Its good but kinda creepy at the same time!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's no big deal. I had to have one done when I got a job working for the Greater Toronto Airports Authority. Just went to the police station and picked it up - charge was minimal.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was nervous when I purchased my pistol and had to have a backround check run on me. I've never been in trouble either. Maybe we get nervous because we think they'll find something that isn't supposed to be there. Who knows.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geesh consider yourself lucky! It'll be ok!

When I applied to work at a daycare center a few yrs back i had a full criminal background check, fingerprints done, and a tuberculosis test

When i applied to work for Animal Control ( a city job ) They did the criminal background check and sent me to their doctor do get a full blood/urine pannel done for drug screening

I think a Criminal Background check is pretty common now days, nothing to worry over.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a lot of criminal records check, for adopting my kids, working in the schools, and Girl Guides. I get nervous everytime too

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have nothing to worry unless you happen to have the same name as a wanted criminal.

Try thinking of it from another angle.

If you under the care of a nurse how would you feel if you found out that person had served time for murder?

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be glad you're not in aviation then, Linda. Background check every 5 years, drug and alcohol tests prior to employment and then you enter the pool for random testing. Could happen once a month if you have rotten luck.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

When I applied to work at a daycare center a few yrs back i had a full criminal background check, fingerprints done, and a tuberculosis test
I think it's a great idea to have people working with children get those things. Workers being in such close contact with little ones, the parents have to feel better knowing those things are looked into closely. And TB is easily spread among the young with their lower immunity.

When i applied to work for Animal Control ( a city job ) They did the criminal background check and sent me to their doctor do get a full blood/urine pannel done for drug screening
I don't think they single anyone out by doing such tests. Real vet techs would have access to drugs (albeit mostly for animals) and knowing someone wasn't an abuser would probably be required for the City's insurance to be in effect.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
School District job wanted finger prints, TB test, background check.
Disney ran a credit check.
Go figure

K.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on renewing it, I have heard you talk about how much you liked your job so this is an exciting step.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

I think it's a great idea to have people working with children get those things. Workers being in such close contact with little ones, the parents have to feel better knowing those things are looked into closely. And TB is easily spread among the young with their lower immunity.

I don't think they single anyone out by doing such tests. Real vet techs would have access to drugs (albeit mostly for animals) and knowing someone wasn't an abuser would probably be required for the City's insurance to be in effect.
Yea, i definitely understand and agree with why they do them- it's just a hassle to get poked and proded for a job ya know! When those idiots at the doctors office tried to draw my blood for my AC job test- they stupid nurse stuck me 8 times! 8! And couldn't even hit a vein right- it was aweful! I wound up going off on her and asking the doctor if i could do it myself (i knew how) - would up getting it my first try
) I wouldn't mind the blood tests so much if they had competant people doing them is all!

TB and the criminal background checks are a must nowdays though i agree on that one!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wouldn't mind the blood tests so much if they had competant people doing them is all!
I gve chemo for many years, so my IV and blood drawing skills were pretty good. But every so often, there woud be a patient I just couldn't hit. Two attempts is my limit.

We are fingerprinted for work and for our nursing licenses, two separate printings, of course.
Texas doesn't require TB tests for students, which is very stupid with the student outbreaks that have occurred.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yea, i definitely understand and agree with why they do them- it's just a hassle to get poked and proded for a job ya know! When those idiots at the doctors office tried to draw my blood for my AC job test- they stupid nurse stuck me 8 times! 8! And couldn't even hit a vein right- it was aweful! I wound up going off on her and asking the doctor if i could do it myself (i knew how) - would up getting it my first try
) I wouldn't mind the blood tests so much if they had competant people doing them is all!
What's funny is, when I was taking a phlebotomy course (learning to be vampires) I had to go for my annual female exam and had to get blood drawn. And she botched it so bad I had a bruise from the middle of my forearm to halfway up my shoulder. She blew the vein so bad I could move the blood back and forth under my skin with my finger! In class we used each other as guinee pigs, and I NEVER had that happen, and we weren't certified! Sometimes I really wonder if they look where they are sticking.

Honey, I'm SO glad you're going back to doing what you love to do! Don't worry about the background check. I had one done on me for my current job and I was worried too. I kept thinking if I left any bounced checks, unpaid parking tickets, ANYTHING they could get me on. Yeah, I was paranoid. But it will be fine!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just had to have a full criminal, fingerprint, FBI, and Homeland Security check to renew the HazMat endorsement on my CDL. It's costing almost $200 to renew my license each time, now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Congrats on renewing it, I have heard you talk about how much you liked your job so this is an exciting step.
hehe, well I don't much like my job. But I do like the income, and I'm tired of living hand to mouth on 60% of what I was making 4 years ago!

However, nursing wasn't my first choice as a career, but it did give me all 3 requirements that I was looking for when I was wanting to go back to school. I suppose there are days I do like my job, but there are many more that I don't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I had to pay $50 for a criminal records check so I could do volunteer work! Hope you get it sorted out quickly.
I went and ordered it yesterday. I should have the results in 10 days. It was only $30.50.