Can they sunburn through the window?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed on Sunday that Maggie's ear was very pink almost red. Half of her ear is white and I know white cats are more prone to sunburn. My cats do not go outside, but she does spend much of the day in the window. Her favorite spot during the summer is on top of the airconditioner that faces due west. The only thing between her & the outside is 2 pieces of plexiglass. I'm wondering could her ear have gotten sunburnt? And if it did where do I find sunscreen I can use on her ears?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes they can, because when i took the girls in for their yearly checkup a few weeks ago, the vet said Sophies ears were sunburnt as they were pink. He said they can still burn through glass and it's when she lies in the conservatory that it's happend, so now i tilt the blinds when the suns out, and he told me to put normal sunblock on her ears when she goes in there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I may do that for both Maggie & Jordan as they both have parts of their ears that are white. My cats are no respectors of blinds. They managed to demolish a set of miniblinds in less than a month, so I went to verticles. They just like to sit in the window, & sitting on the airconditioner is especially fun because the birds like to land on the back of it.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a window product sold at the home improvement centers that will block the sun. It is a film that you roll out and apply to the glass of the window from inside the house. You can find it in the area of the store where blinds and window hardware are found. Worked very well and not expensive.

edit: I understand that a cat with white on their face can get sunburned on the nose too.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

he told me to put normal sunblock on her ears when she goes in there
OMG! I just had a vision of Rosie and Sophie laying in the conservatory with water bows with pretty umbrellas in them, while wearing itsy bitsy bikinis!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

With their sunblock cream on their ears
I'd ask if Maggie could join them, but I hate to tell her she's not the only spoiled rotten pincess in the world.