Food & Litter

allysh0rty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so I have some questions...

How is Purina in terms of healthy natural food for the kitties? I've heard it has the least amount of preservatives and artificial junk, but I'd like some opinions.

Also, how is Fresh Step clumping litter in terms of safeness? I know it works very well, and my kitties use it, but is it safe for them?

I hear so many myths about these things from extremists, so I'm not sure what to believe. A little help? Thanks.

(Oh and on a side note, how do I get one of those banners at the bottom of my siggy with my kitties' pictures on it?)

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AllySh0rty

Okay so I have some questions...

How is Purina in terms of healthy natural food for the kitties? I've heard it has the least amount of preservatives and artificial junk, but I'd like some opinions.
Which Purina formula are you feeding? There are several threads here in the forum which address just about every different type of food, so if you do a search, I know you will have a lot of reading to keep you busy.

Personally, there are Purina formulas that I like and others I don't like so much. The prescription-type Purina foods are IMO better than the Hill's. The Purina One foods are IMO OK but there is better out there.

When it comes to food, the best advice anyone can give you is to try many different foods over the course of time, make notes on which ones your cats ate/tolerated well and that were the highest quality foods you could comfortably afford.

Originally Posted by AllySh0rty

Also, how is Fresh Step clumping litter in terms of safeness? I know it works very well, and my kitties use it, but is it safe for them?

I hear so many myths about these things from extremists, so I'm not sure what to believe. A little help? Thanks.

(Oh and on a side note, how do I get one of those banners at the bottom of my siggy with my kitties' pictures on it?)
The way I look at it, litter is a subjective thing in different households. In mine, the clumping litter is not a good thing. My cats will not use a box with high sides or a covered pan and they all tend to throw litter around a lot, so unless I want to be sweeping up litter all day, I don't use it. If you have cats who are more fastidious in their litter box habits and you are vigilant in removing the solids from the box in a timely manner, then so long as your cats like the clumping litter and use it, then I see no problem with it. Young kittens will tend to eat litter though and it isn't recommended for homes with 'ittle-bitty ones.

When seeking advice, it is always best to look at a lot of differing opinions and then apply the parts of all of it that work best for you. No one person has ALL the right answers and since cats tend to be such individuals in the ways they accept things, no one thing that works best for one person is guaranteed to work well for someone else. There will always be someone who doesn't agree with the way that I do things nor will I always agree with the ways other people do things. But what it comes down to is the level of care ... if you provide the best quality food you can comfortably afford, adequate vet care, sanitary litter facilities, love, comfort and companionship as best as you can, then you are doing fine. Don't worry about what others say or think.

The Signatures gurus all reside in The Signature Shop - I would suggest you stop by in there, read the "stickies" at the top of the Forum index and see what you can work out on getting one! Good luck!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Which Purina formula are you feeding? There are several threads here in the forum which address just about every different type of food, so if you do a search, I know you will have a lot of reading to keep you busy.

Personally, there are Purina formulas that I like and others I don't like so much. The prescription-type Purina foods are IMO better than the Hill's. The Purina One foods are IMO OK but there is better out there.

When it comes to food, the best advice anyone can give you is to try many different foods over the course of time, make notes on which ones your cats ate/tolerated well and that were the highest quality foods you could comfortably afford.

The way I look at it, litter is a subjective thing in different households. In mine, the clumping litter is not a good thing. My cats will not use a box with high sides or a covered pan and they all tend to throw litter around a lot, so unless I want to be sweeping up litter all day, I don't use it. If you have cats who are more fastidious in their litter box habits and you are vigilant in removing the solids from the box in a timely manner, then so long as your cats like the clumping litter and use it, then I see no problem with it. Young kittens will tend to eat litter though and it isn't recommended for homes with 'ittle-bitty ones.

When seeking advice, it is always best to look at a lot of differing opinions and then apply the parts of all of it that work best for you. No one person has ALL the right answers and since cats tend to be such individuals in the ways they accept things, no one thing that works best for one person is guaranteed to work well for someone else. There will always be someone who doesn't agree with the way that I do things nor will I always agree with the ways other people do things. But what it comes down to is the level of care ... if you provide the best quality food you can comfortably afford, adequate vet care, sanitary litter facilities, love, comfort and companionship as best as you can, then you are doing fine. Don't worry about what others say or think.

The Signatures gurus all reside in The Signature Shop - I would suggest you stop by in there, read the "stickies" at the top of the Forum index and see what you can work out on getting one! Good luck!
You won't get any better answers than these.