Cat Poo...

allysh0rty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are my options on disposing of the stuff? I can't go to the dump every day, and it does pile up if you don't take care of it, of course. I have 4 cats, so I have to be very precise and clean with them. What do YOU do with your kitty poo? Some suggestions/stories would be nice. Thanks.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 4 cats as well and no local trash pick up service (Gotta love living in the "Country") either so going to the dump is the only way to get rid of the trash, including the litter.

When I clean the boxes, I empty them into sturdy trash bags that have a drawstring tie at the top. I find that slipping the box into the bag and then dumping it works best because otherwise, the dirty litter flies everywhere yucko. Anyway, once in the bag, it is taken out to one of the 4 large outside cans I have where it waits until Saturday when I can load the cans into my Bronco and haul it off to the county dump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allysh0rty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I'm gonna have to invest in a few trash cans as well. Thanks for the advice.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AllySh0rty

What are my options on disposing of the stuff? I can't go to the dump every day, and it does pile up if you don't take care of it, of course. I have 4 cats, so I have to be very precise and clean with them. What do YOU do with your kitty poo? Some suggestions/stories would be nice. Thanks.
You know all those plastic bags you get every time you go to a store? We don't throw them away, we save them and keep them by the litter box and use them for the litter scooped out. We then twist the top so that no smell gets out and just toss them into the regular trash.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our litterbox is in the bathroom by the toilet. We have one of those large plastic containers that the litter comes in on the other side of the toilet. We lined it with a garbage bag and when DH scoops the box, we put it in there and snap the lid back on. No smell whatsoever and it is a handy perch for the girls when we sit on the toilet and they want to visit! We change the bag 3 or 4 times a week and take it to the dumpster at the apartments. I pity the dumpster diver that rips open that bag! LOL

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fortunately we have a bins where we live for regular waste, but i still put the poop and wee balls in a bag and tie it tight at the top. When it's time for a full litter change my bin weighs a tonne, but luckily it's on wheels

siamesedreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a box that sits right outside of our front door where we deposit the litter bags after we've scooped. DH empties that once a day into the green recycling box in the garage....and once a week all the recycling is picked up by the city..........blue boxes, green boxes. I feel really bad for the guys picking up that green bo in the hot summer months.

We are also experimenting with flushing some of the litter as we are using World's Best Cat litter....jury is still out on that.

Anyone else flush kitty litter?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

You know all those plastic bags you get every time you go to a store? We don't throw them away, we save them and keep them by the litter box and use them for the litter scooped out. We then twist the top so that no smell gets out and just toss them into the regular trash.
That's what we do! Not only food store bags but also produce bags, bread bags, newspaper bags, product bags - any kind of plastic bag that's big enough and doesn't have holes in it.... then by each litter box, I have a giant plastic bag (like when we go on a Kohl's shopping spree haha) and put all the smaller bags inside - grab a small bag, scoop, tie it up and chuck it in the trash cans in the garage (well we put each bag on the back steps and next person to the garage takes it out)

In college, I had to take my trash up to the dumpster - so I had a small trash can with a lid that was the kitty can and I'd put the bags in there and then just take that bin up to the dumpster when I was emptying the rest of my trash (about once a week)

Flushable litter is another option if you're not on septic - or you could start a compost pile (not sure if you have to use certain kinds of litter with that or not though)

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siamesedreams

Anyone else flush kitty litter?
I used to trash it in those supermarket plastic bags but the trash dumpsters got stinky(I guess I wasn't the only one who was doing it in the same complex
), also it was such a waste of bags every single day.
Since I switched the litter to a flushable kind(Swheat Scoop), I pick them up & flush them down every day.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I line a litter bucket with a 13 gallon garbage bag. Since I live at the top of a really long flight of stairs, this allows me to store the waste in the bucket until garbage day. The lid seals nicely (I tuck the top of the bag into the bucket to keep Zek from eating the plastic) so it keeps the smell contained until trash day.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

That's what we do! Not only food store bags but also produce bags, bread bags, newspaper bags, product bags - any kind of plastic bag that's big enough and doesn't have holes in it....
My Grocery Store gives 90% Paperbags
so I SAVOR all the plastic I get... so the ones that have holes in the bottom, I put a knot at the bottom of the bag, before I use it & of course tie off the top when I'm done scooping the boxes. ( I get irritated when I have to resort to paper instead of plastic, LOL )

I put my 'poo bags' in the garbage bin in the garage, luckily we take that to the curb once a week. But UGH... open that can close to garbage day in the humid hot as it has been, after daily scoopings plus any garbage bags in there ... BWAGH!!!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a litter locker for the kittens since their stuff is tiny. The litter I use clumps hard as rocks so I can't use it for the big cats. I use doggie poop bags. I buy the rolls in bulk and keep a roll by every litter box. So I ties those off, put them in the regular trash and the trash goes out every night.