(cat condo's) What happened to the Carpet?

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad had cat tree's (condo's) for his cats when I was younger... they had carpet on them... I am currently hunting down one for my kitties (as we have finally been hit with our 'simulus'
) thus this is our gift to the kitties.

But WHY on earth are ALL the Cat Condo's Covered in FAUX FUR or FLEECE???

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lore

My Dad had cat tree's (condo's) for his cats when I was younger... they had carpet on them... I am currently hunting down one for my kitties (as we have finally been hit with our 'simulus'
) thus this is our gift to the kitties.

But WHY on earth are ALL the Cat Condo's Covered in FAUX FUR or FLEECE???

Because fake fur and fleece don't last as long as carpet does, so when it gets ratty looking, most people throw it out instead of reupholstering it, and go out and buy a new one. The faster the fabric wears out the faster they will get another sale.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
have you thought about making your own and just buying the carpet at a discount flooring place?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a nice carpeted 3 story kitty condo at Costco a few months back (really cheap too!) Have you tried looking at not so obvious places like Costco and Sams Club?

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we bought our cat house from walmart
maybe try there

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have two cat trees with carpets on it, frankly i would just build one, one much more stable and just carpet it your self, i am doing this when i get back to Australia.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just kept searching and waiting for a carpet tree on ebay (nothing good here, they're all wobbly and weak-looking), and finally found one that I bought and am happy with. I think I paid a total of $255 (including shipping) or so. There are better deals out there, but I think the price matched the quality of the tree. It still looks newish (the layer of cat hair effects the look, lol) and all three cats love it. Willow all but lives on it, Buffy exercises her nails on it constantly, and Molly loves sitting/laying between the legs on the bottom, hiding in an open way, lol.

Check ebay, a lot of trees sell cheap (the one I got started at a dollar, I think), but if it's good quality and the seller has a good reputation, other bidders may drive the price up. Just keep an eye on the shipping charges, as 70lbs by mail can be pricey, lol

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't mind ordering one Drs Foster and Smith have some nice ones that are carpeted. They are a little on the pricy side but are both tall and sturdy. I got mine that is carpeted from the small pet store where I buy their food. Again it was a little pricey but is carpeted and sturdy. They also sell all the premium brand foods that the big box stores don't sell.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my carpeted cat condo at Walmart. I got my carpeted cat tree at Petsmart (I also saw carpeted cat condos there).

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

I got my carpeted cat condo at Walmart.
I've also gotten them at Big Lots. Petsmart/Petco around here still carry carpeted cat forts. Our big fort my DH made, and our other one is a 2-story homemade condo. They should sell plans for the 2-story homemade one we have. The cats love it, and it's so sturdy you can stand on it!