TortoiseShell Dilute Oriental Shorthair

am i anywhere near?

Most prob not

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Close!
I'd call her a dilute Torbie (or dilute Patched Tabby), no Oriental Shorthair without papers to say so, but she definitely looks to have a foreign type

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess you are pretty much right on, although not knowing the background you can't really determine a breed so it is a domestic shorthair. But with those large ears and the body shape, oriental shorthair would be my guess as well. Although you typically put "dilute" before the "Tortoiseshell". but I think she is more of a patched tabby....

So Dilute Tortoiseshell or patched tabby would be my guess on the color
Oriental Shorthair is a good guess at the breed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shonk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didnt do bad then

The Mother's a Siamese and the father's a random tom

Im in the uk on sites i have looked at Oriental is a generic term used for a Siamese mix

shonk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's the most clingy cat i have ever had
has a lovely temperament
she's sleeping on my shoulder as i type now
i cant move without her following

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shonk

I didnt do bad then

The Mother's a Siamese and the father's a random tom

Im in the uk on sites i have looked at Oriental is a generic term used for a Siamese mix
Hi there! There are 2 different terms used here in the UK which shouldn't be confused. "Oriental-type", or more commonly "Foreign-type", refers to any cat, purebred or mixed breed, with a long narrow body, long limbs, an angular face, and large ears. "Oriental Shorthair" is a registered breed name and is only used for purebred cats with registration papers.

So your cat is properly described as an Oriental-type (or foreign-type) domestic shorthair, not an Oriental Shorthair - to be the latter, both of her parents would have to be registered purebred Oriental Shorthairs, or one parent pedigree Oriental Shorthair and the other pedigree Siamese.

It is a little confusing but I hope that helps clarify!

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blue tortie spotted tabby and white is her color. Blue tortie is the same as dilute tortie.

As for body type I'd call it foreign rather than oriental, this to avoid confusing it with the breed Oriental Shorthair.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sol

Blue tortie spotted tabby and white is her color. Blue tortie is the same as dilute tortie.

As for body type I'd call it foreign rather than oriental, this to avoid confusing it with the breed Oriental Shorthair.
I agree, I think the term Oriental-type leads to too much confusion. Even my vets office are confused by it and don't have Oriental Shorthair as a breed on their computer, hence my OSH boys are on their records as a "blue self Siamese" and a "lilac self Siamese" which is ridiculous, even if they are technically the same breed

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have heard the Turkish Angora people refer to their cats as having a foreign body type (long and lean) in order to distinguish it from the oriental body type (long, lean, and tubular) The term is nowhere in the TUA standard, but they do define the body type in their standard contrast to the tubular bodies of an oriental cat.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about the white??? I would say "dilute tortoiseshell with white".

Well, except for the tabby markings. Where are Abymummy and Goldenkitty? They know the markings and colors for sure!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm here

I'd rather see a stretched out cat (both sides) to confirm markings before I comment on color! At this moment, I can only say I see a blue, cream and white which technically should make her a dilute tortie or torbie and white ...it depends on how much white there is and how "marked" (striped or spotted) she is as well.

As for body type again a stretched out cat will confirm oriental or foreign type.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
facially, she looks a great deal like Java did as a kitten.

Java has a definite foreign or oriental body/face type, altho not as extreme as the current Siamese.

shonk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried to get some pictures just now
but she's determined to play with the camera

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definately a brown patched tabby (mackeral) - very very pretty markings. You might want to put her in a show when she's bigger

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful
Not an Oriental Shorthair, but I would say has a bit of an Oriental look to her

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to revise my color - thought it was brown at first, but she probably is a dark Blue Mackeral Patched Tabby/White.

I didn't know she had kittens! Was assuming you have gotten her spayed long ago.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a Blue Cream Mackeral Tabby and white or for Americans a Blue Tortoishell Mackeral Tabby and white. As a kitten she looked to have a bit of silver in her, but I'd say no looking at her all grown up. I also wouldn't say dark blue, that's a fabulous shade.

She's essentially the same colour as my Exotic, Flutterby - except Flutterby is silver!

Flutterby has been mated to two studs (one silver, one not) and has produced 8 out of 11 kitens that have been silver/smoke, although she is low grade herself.