I am not sure if my cat is pregnant

rhonda911

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not sure if my cat is pregnant or not, I have researched all the signs and such but I still cant tell. here is a little background, I got married on May 3rd, my husband has a male cat that he's had for several years (he is an inside cat) after we got married, I wanted a cat for me so we got my female cat from an animal shelter on May 13th, neither cat is fixed. I am not an experienced cat person, and I have looked at her nipples and yes they look pink and look big to me but I am not sure how they looked before. The reason I think she might be pregnant is because her belly is getting bigger. The other day she was walking out of the room I was in and thats when I really noticed it and thought to myself "I wonder if she is pregnant" her belly was swaying from side to side when I looked at her from behind. I have rubbed her belly, trying to feel for kittens but I am not sure what it is supposed to feel like, I am just all confused and I would like to know if she is, so I can make sure everything goes well, I have no idea when she would be due either, please help

I was gonna post some pictures of her and see if you guys think she looks pregnant but I couldnt figure out how to post the picture, any help or opinions or advice would be appreciated

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rhonda911

I am not sure if my cat is pregnant or not, I have researched all the signs and such but I still cant tell. here is a little background, I got married on May 3rd, my husband has a male cat that he's had for several years (he is an inside cat) after we got married, I wanted a cat for me so we got my female cat from an animal shelter on May 13th, neither cat is fixed. I am not an experienced cat person, and I have looked at her nipples and yes they look pink and look big to me but I am not sure how they looked before. The reason I think she might be pregnant is because her belly is getting bigger. The other day she was walking out of the room I was in and thats when I really noticed it and thought to myself "I wonder if she is pregnant" her belly was swaying from side to side when I looked at her from behind. I have rubbed her belly, trying to feel for kittens but I am not sure what it is supposed to feel like, I am just all confused and I would like to know if she is, so I can make sure everything goes well, I have no idea when she would be due either, please help

I was gonna post some pictures of her and see if you guys think she looks pregnant but I couldnt figure out how to post the picture, any help or opinions or advice would be appreciated
Hi there!
By no means am I an "expert" but I have a pregnant girl here due anytime. The fact that both cats are not fixed probably gives a pretty good chance that she is pregnant!
When I knew for sure that my girl was preggo was of course her nipples, pink and larger and eventually losing the hair around them and of course filling up with milk ( late in pregnancy ). When I first started to gently feel for babies ( please be careful cause you can cause harm to the babies) I didnt have to feel or push hard, they felt like "little golf balls" at that point was when I took her to the vet and she guessed 2 weeks left before the little babies would arrive.

Like I said, I am no expert, first time with pregnant cat here myself, there are ALOT of great people on this site who are full of knowledge!! I think the best advice I can give to you is make a vet appointment to find out for sure!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has been living with an intact male cat then I can almost guarantee you that she is in fact pregnant. All males are concerned about when they are left intact is reproducing. He will continue to mate with her as much as possible, even killing off her babies to keep her all for himself.

It is very important that you keep them COMPLETELY separated until after she gives birth, after the babies are done being with the mother (10-12 weeks) and she is spayed. I would also have him neutered asap. Living with a female now he will also want to spray to mark his territory to keep other males away from his female. Intact males are not very pleasant to have around.

Is there any reason he isn't neutered? Also, what kind of animal shelter adopted out a cat who was not spayed? That is a terrible shelter. Once he is neutered, it will take 1-2 months for the nasty male hormones to leave his system and he will still try to mate with her and can possibly get her pregnant.

Please spay and neuter your kitty cats. It will make them happier and healthier not having to be continuously stressed being in heat and looking to mate. You can also still have the female spayed now and then she will not have the babies at all.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

what kind of animal shelter adopted out a cat who was not spayed? That is a terrible shelter.
I agree with everything that you wrote, Jen. Especially this part.

Shelters are supposed to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Because obviously people can't always be trusted to be responsible with intact animals.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet to see. I would seriously consider getting the male neutered now. He will begin to behave in really unpleasant ways that will make him a pain to have around. She will too. Everything the above people have written I agree with. You want a harmonious cat household spaying and neutering will help achieve this.