How do I separate mum from babies for spaying??

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is what my momma and babies are in at the moment - http://animal-traps.com/recovery.gif

At one end, the entire end is a door which opens, at the other end there is a door which fits against the door for the trap for transfer of animals. It also has a "separator" which fits down the middle so you can keep the cat up one end and clean the other end.

Momma is being spayed tomorrow, but because she's going through the free feral spaying program, she has to be there in a trap. So I need to get her out of the cage, into the trap, but keep the babies in the cage.

She's not feral, but she's pretty scared. I can put my hand right next to her, and she looks at me with fearful eyes - she doesn't act aggressive, but she generally doesn't hide away from me either, and definitely acts fearful. I haven't been brave enough to try and pat her yet.

I need to leave at a bit after 6am, so also need to decide whether to do it tonight or tomorrow morning.

Suggestions?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can get a particularly smelly treat and put it in the one end of the trap, then close the separating mechanism, then the babies won't be able to come out with Momma. Perhaps it would be easier then to get her into the carrier to take to the vet in the morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The problem is that 2 of the kittens are a lot braver than she is. I ended up moving them to a bigger cage just now to see what would happen when I try and move them, and to give them some more space.

The 2 brave kitties ran straight into the new cage, then momma went, closely followed by the 3rd kitten who wants to be brave, then the 2 little scaredy ones were left, and I had to scare them into the new cage.

Maybe I can coax the 2 brave kitties and momma into the trap, then lure the 2 kittens out of the trap, leaving just momma in there.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put the kittens out of the trap and into a room or another carrier or cage as long as it is big enough. Leave mom in the cage, it is easier for the vet staff to work with her if she is in there. Supplement the babies while the mom is having her operation then 24 hours later. Not sure how old the babies are, but the mom's milk (if she still has some) will drop 24 hours post surgery.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

The 2 brave kitties ran straight into the new cage, then momma went, closely followed by the 3rd kitten who wants to be brave, then the 2 little scaredy ones were left, and I had to scare them into the new cage..
I would love to meet those Brave kiddos!...
Hope can you solve the problem my friend....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Put the kittens out of the trap and into a room or another carrier or cage as long as it is big enough. Leave mom in the cage, it is easier for the vet staff to work with her if she is in there. Supplement the babies while the mom is having her operation then 24 hours later. Not sure how old the babies are, but the mom's milk (if she still has some) will drop 24 hours post surgery.
This is the problem though - getting the kittens and the mother separate - they are currently in one BIG cage together. I need the mother in a trap/small carrier, and the kittens in a separate cage. I can't exactly pick them up.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use a thick towel and handle the kittens carefully and lift them out to the cage. Or, you can take a flat piece of cardboard that is high enough to reach the top and bottom of the cage, and use that as a wedge to separate the family. It takes some managing, but you can work outside the cage from the top of the wire and guide the cardboard so it is between mom and the babies. I've done this procedure successfully in the past many times and although it is hard to explain, it is fairly easy to accomplish and keeps everyone safe.