It's an annual ritual...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bath time that is. I'll walk you though it.

Once a year DH and I give 8-Bit and Scratch Fury Destroyer of Worlds baths. (Dr. D Claw gets a weekly bath for other reasons) Usually this process happens in the summer, because they start smelling like port-a-johns.

So, DH and I go out to our local grocery store and pick up a bottle of Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap, Baby Mild. I swear by this product because it's got zero chemicals that are potentially harmful, it's sent free, and I like the companies politics. If you are ever looking for a good, basic, shampoo for pets this would be the one I'd recommend.

We first grab Scratch Fury Destroyer of Worlds. Our logic is that he is the loudest and most difficult cat to bathe (We find out later that we are wrong, but that's besides the point). He thinks we are going to brush him so he relaxes a little bit. Then we usher him into the bathroom. Being that he's not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree he still doesn't realize what's going on until his baby kitty toe hits the water. Then he starts screaming like a banshee. The neighbors start banging on the walls. They think we are weird, and this processes doesn't help. We soap, rinse, and let him jump out of the tub. His black fluffy tail looks really pathetic. He gives us the, "I'm going to poop in your shoe!" look. We release him to the living room.

Then we go for 8-Bit. The last two summers he's been a bit of a PIA when he gets his bath, but nothing too terrible. This year, we learned the hard way. 8-Bit, being the bright crafty cat he is, knows about bath time. In fact, I have a feeling he marks it off on some internal calender he has, because we had to pry him out of a closet in our back bedroom. We then go to gently set him in the two inches of luke-warm water sitting in the tub. He then started to hover. I didn't think this was possible, but he seemed to get wet, and then stick in the air about five feet above the water. It was rather odd. DH, with his infinite wisdom, pointed the dangerous end of 8-Bit towards the bathroom wall. He seemed to climb up the tiles. All the while he's screaming like a child. My neighbors have grown very concerned. The banging has stopped. They are getting dressed to come over.

We then take a break. There is a knock on our door.

Me: Yes? (I'm covered in water and soap)

Neighbor: Um, what the heck is going on?

Me: Annual bath day. Sorry, we should have warned you. No worries the worst is over.

Neighbor: Right. I almost called the police.

After our break we rouse Dr. D. Claw from his nap. He's slept though the other two getting their bath. On his own accord he walks into the bathroom and waits for me to fill the tub. We've been able to train him to do this so I don't have to hunt him down. Kitty treats and persistence will win over any feline after a while. After the tub is filled I gently lift him and set him into the water. He stands there, attempting to look pathetic, and gives a "I'd rather be sleeping" meow. We soap, rinse, repeat, and give him under the chin scratches. Then we dry him and let him go.

Only 363 days until next annual bath day. 8-Bit is going first next year.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my...you've just given me yet another reason to get my kitties used to MONTHLY baths early on! I am determined to train them to at least quietly tolerate the water!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream

Oh my...you've just given me yet another reason to get my kitties used to MONTHLY baths early on! I am determined to train them to at least quietly tolerate the water!
We trained Dr. D. Claw as an adult. However, I have a feeling he was bathed on a regular basis before we got him, because it wasn't all that difficult to coax him into a ritual. He's a very tolerant cat.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

We trained Dr. D. Claw as an adult. However, I have a feeling he was bathed on a regular basis before we got him, because it wasn't all that difficult to coax him into a ritual. He's a very tolerant cat.
Is his skin doing better with the baths?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Is his skin doing better with the baths?
Much! His tummy has patches where he's just pulled and pulled so they are bald.

He's also very needy. The most needy cat ever. He sleeps right between DH and I.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another reason I want to keep up with regular baths for my kittens is this: When I was a teen, my parents let me get a kitten, and mom and I tried bathing her once. It was such a terrible, awful, horrible, stressful experience for all of us that we decided never to do that again. But she really needs baths because she has medium-long hair that is very thick and often oily, plus alot of dander. I think if we'd persisted in training her to "enjoy" baths, her coat would be alot more healthy. I'm certain that at least one of my kittens is going to have the same type of coat, so to be fair, they all get to get into the water!