Blade Runner (1982) (1997) and (2007)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blade Runner

So, I'm going to attempted to tackle Blade Runner: The FINAL Cut in this post, but you'll have to indulge me in the fact that I've seen this move about 30 times in all of it's different incarnations. This my dear TCSers is intended to be a primer on Blade Runner; not a review.

1. Blade Runner (1982) Theatrical Release- This is the one with the goofy voice over done by an obviously bored Harrison Ford. It also has a *gasp* happy ending.
This is proof positive that sometimes studios get it wrong. Dead wrong. But, when you are going up against movies like Fast Times and Ridgemont High and ET, sometimes a manufactured happy ending seems to be needed. Rent this one AFTER you've seen #2 or #3.

2. Blade Runner (1997) Director's Cut- Now, Scott, the director, had never really intended for a voice over to guide the film, but was forced to by the people financing the film. This is closer to his original vision of what Blade Runner was supposed to be. The Director's Cut also happens to be a totally different film from the theatrical release. The sappy ending is gone, it's slightly more violent, and some scenes are put in that make the movie make more sense over all. I happen to enjoy this version a lot, and I'm happy it's the first one I saw.

3. Blade Runner (2007) The FINAL Cut- Not to beat a dead horse, but yes, there is indeed a 3rd version of this film. It's been remastered beautifully, and also some additional content was added. In all honesty I really thought Scott was out to bilk fans out of hard earned cash by releasing another edition of his classic, so DH and I rented this one first. We then tossed out our old copy, ran to Best Buy, and happily plunked down ANOTHER $20.00 for a movie we already owned. So, all in all if you've never actually seen Blade Runner, and want to rent it, my suggestion is going to be to go with the FINAL Cut. Skip the Director's Cut all together if possible.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or, you could just read, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Or, you could just read, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"
Blade Runner is one of the few movies I've enjoyed more than the book. The other is Children of Men.

I thought Androids was a bit... well... clunky.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm, I'm thinking that I may have seen the end of Blade Runner at one time or another, the original release version
Who is in this movie?

Children of Men=

ETA: Nevermind, I clicked on the link
Rutger Hauer, that is who I was thinking of
I have only seen the ending of this movie
From your review I think that's best

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Blade Runner is one of the few movies I've enjoyed more than the book. The other is Children of Men.

I thought Androids was a bit... well... clunky.
i didn't care for the book, either. & because of that, i've never seen the movies.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated the book, and I dearly loved the movie -- the original 1982 version, ending and all!

Someday I'll see the other two versions, and I'm sure I'll appreciate them, too. But the original is a masterpiece, just the way it is. I like the grim voiceover; I think it's perfectly in character, and it's so noir... it fits the film, I think.

I know a lot of people call the director a panderer if a "serious film" doesn't end in bleakness or tragedy. But if I were making a movie, I would want my audience to walk away from the theater with something, y'know? I'd want them to have at least some little glimmer of hope in their hearts, some reason why the characters went through what they went through.

I'm not asking for Frank Capra. But day after day after day, we're all beaten to an emotional pulp by the unrelenting tragedy of the real world... and I just don't see what service is performed by creating purely tragic fantasies as well.

And from a strictly artistic point of view: art requires contrast. In the absence of light, darkness becomes meaningless, y'know?

And Blade Runner is a perfect illustration of that principle: in the original version, after two hours of this oppressive twilight world of perversion and freakishness and falsity, that moment when Deckard and Rachel emerge into daylight... it makes you nearly weep with gratitude.

I think there's something of value in evoking that response, making people so sick of the darkness that they reject it and turn toward the light.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I, too, liked the original movie. The grim voice over was SO reminiscent of "Dragnet."

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow i've never seen it i'll have to check it out (I was born in 86 so gimme a break )

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

The most wonderful of the movie, was the Music by VANGELIS!..

The love theme of Bladerunner is fantastic!!!
Oh yes yes yes, how could we discuss it without mentioning the music?
It set the mood perfectly...

And Mer, how I envy you, about to see this movie for the first time!
It's an extremely intense experience, sight and sound and thought and feeling... it all stays with you. I'm sorry I mentioned the ending -- it didn't occur to me that there might be someone here who WASN'T EVEN BORN YET, for pete's sake!
But knowing how it ends won't ruin it for you, I promise.

When you've seen it, come tell us what you thought!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't been born yet either, by a year.
But I have seen the movie several times... and you know what? I think DH has the latest version of the dvd around here somewhere but we haven't got around to watching it - I'll have to go look for it after I make this post. LOL

I liked the book, a lot more then the movie to be honest. But that's how it usually is for me.
This reminds me though, I need to bug DH to move some movies up in his netflix queue - has anyone seen Imposters? Screamers? Confessions d'un Barjo (Confessions of a Crap Artist)? Paycheck?... (I don't think I need to ask about the other more popular movies).