Kitten hiding under recliner

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

Hubby and I adopted two kittens yesterday from same litter. The are about 10 weeks old. One male and one female: Sam & Sarah we named them

Sarah is very social. Loves to be petted. Sam is very skittish. He plays with Sarah but wont allow my husband or I to touch him. He also sleeps under recliner--whereas Sarah sleeps pretty much anywhere

Should I deter him from sleeping under recliner? My concerns are he will get stuck under there and/or he wont come out to be social. He does eat and use his litter box(although a few times he peed on carpeting)

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I say, just let him become social at his own pace. Talk to him in an affectionate tone when he's around, offer to play with him, but don't force any physical attention on him.

He may never be as sociable as his sis. They each have their own temperaments. But if you don't force it, he may surprise you over time.

If the recliner's a safety concern, can you somehow block his way to it?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's probably just shy... I bet he doesn't sleep under there much longer

My friend had a party and after it she could not find her cat, she figured she got out...finally it hit her one day and she found the cat under the recliner, she never cried once

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brokenheart

I say, just let him become social at his own pace. Talk to him in an affectionate tone when he's around, offer to play with him, but don't force any physical attention on him.

He may never be as sociable as his sis. They each have their own temperaments. But if you don't force it, he may surprise you over time.

If the recliner's a safety concern, can you somehow block his way to it?
Good question--we can to a point but hes so little he can squeeze through anything. I am going to give it a week and if he keeps on hiding I may have to block it off. I dont want him to get upset seeing that he is nervous as it is

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarmcl

Good question--we can to a point but hes so little he can squeeze through anything. I am going to give it a week and if he keeps on hiding I may have to block it off. I dont want him to get upset seeing that he is nervous as it is
Maybe for now just put a note on the recliner reminding anyone who sits in it to check first for the kitten underneath?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dunno, I am for pulling him out, luring him out, fishing him out, doing whatever you need to do to get him out from under there and then blocking off access to the underneath of that chair. I have heard so many horror stories of what can happen to a cat under such a chair. *sigh* It's horrible.