I lost my sense of taste and smell

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely ever get sick but this week I have had some congestion and a runny nose and a bit of a cough. I figured my body would just take care of it as I don’t feel that bad, I still have lots of energy, no fever, feel pretty good. I can still breathe through one nostril but only if I blow my nose all of the time. But yesterday I wasn't able to smell or taste anything. This has continued today. Strange huh?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were you using Zicam? There have been a couple reports of that happening, including some lawsuits which were settled out of court, though it's never been proven in a study to lead to an increased incidence of taste/smell loss.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's happened to me a couple of times, too, when I had some nasty viruses. Be careful, you might be at the beginning of it, so don't overdo and get some rest. Try a sinus wash to clear out the other nostril. Hope you are better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Were you using Zicam? There have been a couple reports of that happening, including some lawsuits which were settled out of court, though it's never been proven in a study to lead to an increased incidence of taste/smell loss.
No. I am not on any meds or supplements. Appreciate the info though.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

That's happened to me a couple of times, too, when I had some nasty viruses. Be careful, you might be at the beginning of it, so don't overdo and get some rest. Try a sinus wash to clear out the other nostril. Hope you are better soon!
Thanks
Makes me feel better to hear it has happened to someone before. I don't feel like I should rest, but why not? Extra rest never hurt anyone.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This happens to my SO too when he gets very sick. Just be careful that it doesn't become too serious, or it might turn into bronchitis or pneumonia or something.

Unrelated note... when he gets sick where he can't enjoy food, I tend not to spend 2 hours in the kitchen to make dinner and just go with something easy.

Get well soon!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naia

This happens to my SO too when he gets very sick. Just be careful that it doesn't become too serious, or it might turn into bronchitis or pneumonia or something.

Unrelated note... when he gets sick where he can't enjoy food, I tend not to spend 2 hours in the kitchen to make dinner and just go with something easy.

Get well soon!
Must be a nice break not to spend 2 hours in the kitchen daily on dinner
You really go all out, he is pretty lucky!

I don't feel sick, but maybe I should go to the doc on Monday, just in case. I am not caring either about food right now. I can see it now, the next new thing in weight loss diet ideas, lose your taste buds & sense of smell!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
when I get sick with a runny nose I usually can't smell or taste anything too so if your not feeling to sick i'd just leave it for now it'll probably go away

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all better, thanks for the well wishes!