Question regarding Tom....

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello.

I read somewhere that for a while after the males are neutered they can still
impregnate a female.........Is there truth to this??

I ask because I still have "Buttons" who *cross my fingers* HOPES she gives birth in the next few days and I take daddy (Ziggers) in on Wednesday to get neutered.......As much as I LOVE watching the process so far with my girl and the excitement of the coming delivery, I do not want her to go thru this again!

PS- I will be getting momma and kittens spayed/neutered when they are ready, I plan on keeping all the babies as I believe it is a small litter.

Thanks for any input!!

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the cat was castrated, then I don't think it's possible for him to impregnate another cat.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I believe that he can still impregnate a cat for up to 30 days after being neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Yes, I believe that he can still impregnate a cat for up to 30 days after being neutered.
Excellent...Thanks for the info! I have been reading up on it but found different answers and I was positive that there had to be some kind of time frame involved because this is true of men.....

I will be sure to keep them seperated to keep the chances even lower of this happening.

Also, Is it a little less likely that the male will be aggressive with the babies after he is neutered?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Male Cats can get a female Preg for 2 months after they are fixed. I kept Yoshi because he was Meekos only Kitten. I had him fixed at 3 months so he would not get Coco Preg. Coco is my old Cat that could not be fixed. The Vet said they still have hormones for 2 months after they are fixed. Coco was still nurseing her Kittens at the time. She had one litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Hmmmm sounds like im gonna have my hands full between the new kittens and making sure that daddy stays away from mommy and mommy stays away from daddy for probably a little longer then I originally thought.

Thank you so much for the info and Im sure glad I asked and have you guys to help out as I wouldnt have thought that it was a month or two that I should keep them seperated to avoid it happening again!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will also agree, but it can be more like 1-2 months. They still have active sperm. They may also still spray too if they were.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katch4

Also, Is it a little less likely that the male will be aggressive with the babies after he is neutered?
yes... but we're still talking AFTER the 2 months. it's the mating hormones that are the most to blame for males killing kittens.
my Chip was quite gentle w/my last kitten, Firefox - they're still pretty good friends, too.