Organipets, what do you think?

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have found this new cat food which sounds great to me. I was just wondering if someone who knows more about cat nutrition could advise on if its good? Thanks

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
personally, i would say no. the chicken, once cooking & drying has taken place, falls way down the ingredient list... thus making the rice the primary ingredient.
dry foods should have a named meat meal as the 1st ingredient.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

personally, i would say no. the chicken, once cooking & drying has taken place, falls way down the ingredient list... thus making the rice the primary ingredient.
I am being lazy .. can someone link??

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.organipets.co.uk/extra_in...=7&page_type=9

Complete Organic Dry Adult Cat Food ingredients - Organic fresh chicken (min 22%), organic whole rice (min 19%), chicken meal, prairie meal, organic oats, organic barley, organic peas, chicken oil, organic sunflower oil, organic skimmed milk, salmon oil, whole linseed, seaweed meal, vegetable pomace. With natural antioxidant Vitamin E (Tocopherol-rich extracts of natural origin).

Analysis - Protein 30%, Oil 17%, Fibre 2%, Ash 6%, Copper (as copper sulphate) 15mg/kg.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

While it may need more meat, I disagree with this statement - meat meal according to the AAFCO is
Meat Meal: The rendered product from mammal tissues, exclusive of blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices.
and can include 4D (diseased, dying, decayed, and dead) animals

This is by Wysong so take into consideration bias, but it explains the argument of meat and meat meal
http://www.wysong.net/controversies/...meats_vs.shtml

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Complete Organic Dry Adult Cat Food ingredients - Organic fresh chicken But it is really the 5th or 6th (min 22%), organic whole rice (min 19%), chicken meal, very good but I like the meal before the rice
, prairie meal corn meal not great in the digestion dept ., organic oatsgood for digestion and easily digestion , organic barley related to wheat , organic peashigh allergen , chicken oil HUM is this fat??? if so make it blue
, organic sunflower oil, organic skimmed milk, salmon oil, whole linseed, seaweed meal, vegetable pomace. With natural antioxidant Vitamin E (Tocopherol-rich extracts of natural origin).

Analysis - Protein 30%low normal , Oil 17%mid line, Fibre 2%, Ash 6%, Copper (as copper sulphate) 15mg/kg.

decent ... I like the organic but with varying quality and the ability to BUY a organic name it is buyer beware

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

While it may need more meat, I disagree with this statement - meat meal according to the AAFCO is

This is by Wysong so take into consideration bias, but it explains the argument of meat and meat meal
here's another link, on how to select a good commercial food: http://www.api4animals.org/articles.php?p=361&more=1

excerpt:
Look for a named meat or meal (“lamb†or “chicken meal,†for example, instead of the generic term “meatâ€) as the first ingredient.
btw - they don't sell pet food, & highly recommend a wet food diet for cats.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is the definition of meat meal. However a named meat meal such as chicken meal is defined by the AAFCO as:

Chicken Meal - chicken which has been ground or otherwise reduced in particle size.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken MEAL is considered by MOST with nutrition knowledge to be the superior to chicken in a DRY FOOD

the 4 Ds is actually quite old info ... MOST companies do NOT use them as most use USDA ( US) facility s

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen several recent cases on the news here (difference in countries) besides the OP is in the UK and they are covered by a different governing body so I guess none of it matters.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have seen several recent cases on the news here (difference in countries) besides the OP is in the UK and they are covered by a different governing body so I guess none of it matters.
it all matters ...
... the UK definition is quite close to the US just FYI

we all learn a little something
.. do you have links to some of them>>>??? I ask since many here are using a food from out of the country thinking they are safer ..