Cats and Lips

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Jack's latest obsession is licking / suckling my lips. I think it's because mom won't let them nurse anymore, and it's a comfort thing for him. It's kinda creepy, but he doesn't bite (though sometimes he is a bit rough!), so I want to allow him to do it.

My concern is, is it ok for him to do? I don't mean behavior-wise (though if this is a red-flag for mental issues, please let me know!), which is why it's here under health. He is 5 weeks and two days today, and started this a few days ago. Basically, I'm worried that he may catch something. I mean, I have no diseases I know of, no cold or anything. But he is young and hasn't had his shots, so I want to see if there's anything he can catch from me that I'm unaware of. Sounds silly, me asking you guys if I'm contagious!

Also, I don't hardly wear lipstick, but I do wear chapstick every day. The actual chapstick brand, the SPF version. Is that bad for him? It's not scented or flavored, and it's usually worn off when he does this, so I don't think he's specifically licking the chapstick off.

Jack is the only one who does this, though Davy does think I'm awfully dirty and will clean me quite often!

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not encourage the human and cat mouth to mouth kissing/licking/sucking. It's not healthy to either of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Yayi!

Don't get me wrong, I am not and would not encourage it. In fact, I haven't even been allowing it. Wanted to see what you all said before I did, because I was concerned of exactly what you said- it's not healthy for him. Oh, and I wouldn't let him IN my lips / mouth at all.
So far when he tries, it's all around the outside. But I will continue to not let him at all!

Though funny you mention it's not healthy for either of us- I never even thought about myself! I care much more for the babies.

If little Jack wants to suckle, he'll just have to find something else that he likes that isn't a risk!

Thanks again.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my Teaser went through this with eyelids,noses,chins,eyebrows you name it on your face

id pick her up when she tried too do it and hiss at her (some one uggested it.)
after a few weeks she got the message

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that you shouldn't let the kitten do this. Not necessarily for health reasons... it's because you don't want to allow an unwanted behavior pattern to develop when the cat is young.

Maybe you could give him other things to suck on, like toys. Or how about doing a little bottle feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

my Teaser went through this with eyelids,noses,chins,eyebrows you name it on your face

id pick her up when she tried too do it and hiss at her (some one uggested it.)
after a few weeks she got the message
Aw... She really wanted to suckle! Yeah, I have been just picking him up and moving him. I haven't been hissing, and he seems to be getting the hint. If he keeps it up too long I will start hissing at him!

Originally Posted by emmylou

I agree that you shouldn't let the kitten do this. Not necessarily for health reasons... it's because you don't want to allow an unwanted behavior pattern to develop when the cat is young.

Maybe you could give him other things to suck on, like toys. Or how about doing a little bottle feeding?
Do you think it would be a habit? I know my cat, Evie, suckled when we first got her. Not on my lips, but on my fingers or on clothes. And she grew out of it, really quickly! Do you recommend not letting them suckle on anything? Or just on my lips 'cause it's gross? He he.

He does have plenty of other things to suckle on. When he tried to suckle on my lips a few times, I decided I'd try to bottle feed again. They haven't been nursing on mom for some time, and for a while I was bottling them, but following the guide-lines I've read, once they were eating on their own plenty, I stopped bottling them. But, like I said, since Jack seemed to want to suckle, I tried to bottle feed him again. In the first suckle he bites the nipple OFF!!
He did that to four nipples in a row, and I just quit. If nothing else, I'm paranoid he'll swallow the nipple tip! My poor baby... I told my husband, maybe that's why mom doesn't let them nurse anymore! It's weird, because when he does suckle on me, he doesn't get that rough. Maybe it's just because I don't allow it to go on long enough. Who knows!

Thanks!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'd let the cat suckle on other things. Maybe an old blanket or towel that could be his, or a stuffed toy. No harm in that.

Just not parts of you, since you wouldn't want a grown cat doing that.

Picking him up and moving him is just right. He'll learn.