It's a Tough Day to be a Kitten!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And for once, I don't mean that sarcastically!

Poor guys, it's been a rough day. As mentioned in this ( http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170774 ) thread, I've been worried about their little paws getting stuck in our bedroom door. So taking the great advice from these wonderful people, I set up an enclosure for them.

So that was scary enough, but then while we were arranging it, they got their first real good look at one of our dogs through the door as we moved things in.

Now, I've been really careful to keep them apart, because I was worried about their little immune systems. Peach has all her shots, but the X-Pack doesn't. But, they have seen her before, through their cage / crate, and never seemed to care. And, they've heard and smelled her the entire time they've been here.

So maybe it was the stress of rearranging and the noise of the fireworks, but when they noticed her this time, they freaked out! Jack was the most scared, and Lyppie the least, but all of them were arched up. It was almost funny if I didn't feel so bad for them! Of course, Peach being the good girl she is, I told her to leave. She did, but her moving scared them even more!

Now they are calmed down and playing, but still on edge and jumpy. Poor little things, I wish I could explain to them that it's ok!

Maybe after we get their shots, or if we keep one, we'll do proper introductions. But until then we'll be sure to keep the scary doggy away!

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of people trying to keep healthy household pets separated, especially when they are separate species. Doing so will only make the tension between them worse, IMO.

Kitten immune systems are a lot tougher than you seem to think. Better get going on the introductions now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

I've never heard of people trying to keep healthy household pets separated, especially when they are separate species. Doing so will only make the tension between them worse, IMO.

Kitten immune systems are a lot tougher than you seem to think. Better get going on the introductions now.
Really? I've never fostered before, so I am only going by what I've been told and read on here. I've always seen that other people have their fosters in a completely separate room, at least when they're young and new. I even read a post on here that says some one went so far as to change clothes going from the foster room to the rest of the house!

Even the instructions the foster group gave me (this is all they gave me...), they were only 5 pages and in like 14 point font, so it didn't say much, but it did say to keep them all separate. And though this group did no home check and no application process, they did make sure I had a separate room so I could keep them away from all my other pets.

Though, the bottom line is, mommy is feral, and I don't want to mix her with any of my other pets 'cause she's vicious and I'm afraid she'll kill them!! Especially my submissive dog! Though I would LOVE to introduce the kittens to everyone else- I feel it's good for them. I could take them out of the room...

Maybe I'll post this in another section (behavior? Health?) and see what others think. Though I may just not, because like I said, the group I'm fostering with didn't say much, but they did say to keep them separate, and the lady in charge gets vicious when she's not happy... Hate to have her find out I socialized them and took a risk that specifically said in the instructions not to!

Thaks for your input, it's greatly appreciated!

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I believe it all depends on the situation!

If the foster home had their own cat who does not like other cats (like ours) then yes I would keep them separated and possibly change clothes to avoid any stress on the home cat! Also, introductions do need to be slow(and dependent upon how the animals react), so I would not just throw a poor animal out in a new environment with new caretaker and just tell them to deal with the other animals living there! WE cannot just leave foster kitties out as we have a 90 pund puppy that would squish them!

I also would not allow any animal not vaccinated around any of my animals.

I think you are doing a great job
Thanks for fostering these kitties