A sweet, loving cat mostly, but sometimes. . .

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've posted about this before.

Zane is normally a sweet, loving cat, but sometimes he gets aggressive for no apparent reason.

This morning, for example, I was sleeping in, it being a holiday. I was dozing, not really awake, but more-or-less aware of my surroundings, when he jumped up on the bed, bit me on the arm and then ran off before I could do anything. I had to get up and put on a band-aid.

When I'm petting him or playing with him and he gets overstimulated, that I can understand. When I'm combing or brushing him and perhaps do it a little too hard, that I can understand. But when he bites with no provocation, I don't understand at all. And, when he does this, I'm frequently only semiconscious, so most correction techniques are not applicable.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TAG!!! You're IT!!!! *grin* Sorry, I just couldn't resist ...

You mentioned that "when he does this, I'm frequently only semiconscious" ... I take it to mean that this behavior seems to happen more frequently whilst you are sleeping? If so, then could it be that your sleeping habits have infringed upon Zane's normal routines? Cats are extremely well-timed beasts. They have a schedule to keep and run their agendas with an almost military-like precision! I don't even have to set my alarm clock anymore because Lexus is spot-on about making 100% absolutely certain that I am awake right at 6:45 AM each and every morn. If I oversleep, she walks across my body, planting her little paws right on key pressure points, causing real pain. If you are sleeping whilst you should otherwise be up feeding, playing, paying attention or otherwise, then this could be Zane's way of telling you that his routine is being disrupted.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree about cats' obsession with schedules. If I am not up by 4 a.m. my neighbors might wake up with all the meowing from my house.

Though I wish your Zane would not bite to get your attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

TAG!!! You're IT!!!! *grin* Sorry, I just couldn't resist ...

You mentioned that "when he does this, I'm frequently only semiconscious" ... I take it to mean that this behavior seems to happen more frequently whilst you are sleeping? . .<snip>. . If you are sleeping whilst you should otherwise be up feeding, playing, paying attention or otherwise, then this could be Zane's way of telling you that his routine is being disrupted.
That explains some of it, I guess, although he does it sometimes when I'm sleeping during my normal times. He also likes to run up and bite my hands when I'm changing my shoes. Could that be because my changing shoes he associates with my going out, and therefore not being around?

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This morning when I was getting dressed for church, he was pouncing on and nipping at my ankles. I got "Da Boid" out and let him chase and pounce at it, but I'm worried that this will re-enforce the behavior if he gets to do something he likes to do when he attacks me.

This afternoon, after I came home, I lay down on the bed for a nap. He jumped up and curled up next to me and purred me to sleep. A couple of hours later (as I subsequently figured out when I looked the clock) a was awakened from a sound sleep by some feline fangs sinking into my wrist.

I don't know what to do about this behavior, but I have to do something. It certainly can't go on.

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

I don't know what to do about this behavior, but I have to do something. It certainly can't go on.
I will certainly be paying attention to see what everyone has to say. George does the same thing to me - only its 4am if I'm up to use the bathroom!!! He pounces usully at my feet or ankles but a few times he has gotten my arms. I look like I'm in an abusive relationship - only my abuser is a 16 lb fuzzball!!
Sometimes he will run after me and nip me in the calf - but those are more of the love-bite type bites and he's trying to get my attention to play. The black and blue marks on my arms are evil looking!! And he only does this in the middle of the night and in the bathroom

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My gut feeling on this is that both of you will need to somehow get your cats to associate this type of behavior with some negative response from you ... cat bites are nothing to play around with and can get serious quickly. I truly didn't mean to make light of it before.

Think about what types of things your cats intensely dislike. Is it loud noises? Then get an empty soda can, wash it out thoroughly and allow it to dry. Toss a few small coins in the bottom and shake it sharply when you anticipate an attack. As much as I disagree with the use of water as a deterrent, maybe a brief spritz aimed at their rear ends from a spray bottle will be much quieter for the rest of the household AND do the trick nicely. As funny as this may come across sounding, my husband actually growls very menacingly at the cats when they are badly misbehaving. Your mileage may vary, but this works in my home. My poor little George will actually slink away under something, even if he isn't the one acting ugly. Of course, if my husband growled at me the way he does at the cats sometimes when they are acting up, I would be distracted too! I don't particularly like it that he does this, but when the cats are into things that will hurt them, hurt us or in some other serious way are misbehaving, he does it as a last resort before we close them in their room for a time-out.

As for the biting which happens during your rest times, the only offering I have at present is to shut them out of the bedroom and be consistant with not letting them in there.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

As for the biting which happens during your rest times, the only offering I have at present is to shut them out of the bedroom and be consistant with not letting them in there.
I'm afraid that wouldn't work because of the layout of my apartment.

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have hissed at George and that usually gets the correct response - eyes wide open and looking at me like oh I shouldn't have done that.
But at 4am I'm not always that wide awake!!

Also, I have my flip flops in the bathroom and all I have to do is pick one up and George will slink away - I don't do anything with it, just hold it in my hand. (he's never been hit - at least not by me - unless his previous family hit him, he's a rescue) Then he lays down on the other side of the bathroom and gives the pose that's in his "sig"... He can go from "evil" to "adorable" in a matter of seconds.

I just wish this wasn't an issue in the first place - and its something that's fairly recent...I've had him for over a year and he's been doing this for the past month or so.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With Zane it is intermittant and I don't know what sets him off. Last night, for example, he cuddled up next to and was as good as gold all night.