Anyone else get emotional on the 4th of July?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our fireworks were postponed until tomorrow (hopefully...depends on if the rain sticks around) so I watched the fireworks from DC on TV. There's just something about the 1812 Overture and Sousa marchs being played while the fireworks are going off that just chokes me up. I'm sitting there teary eyed and DH is just laughing at me! Is it just PMS, or does anyone else get emotional?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been sitting here watching them from my window with the music from the live show on TV, that ALWAYS gets me sooooo emotional. It has so much meaning and just a reminder of what we really have to be thankful for.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do, too. I'm very patriotic and love this country, no matter what problems we have. I would live nowhere else. That reminds me...almost time to go take the flag down!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gotten emotional before watching fireworks and hearing Lee Greenwood's song playing, or the anthem. I usually get chills, too. Didn't see any fireworks this year
My mom told me they did the fireworks in the park last night, not tonight. All the fireworks shows on the 4th were basically in Charlotte, and I cant imagine the mess that'd be trying to drive in/out!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to the Baseball Game and after it ended they did a flag burning. It was Sad to see them burned but they were old Flags. They said thats how they retire old Flags. They did a prayer before they burned them. the Fireworks came after that.

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having spent time abroad, I realize the importance of the U.S. Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the all the wars (however popular or unpopular) they might have been. It saddens me that soo many people take the rights and privileges given to us by the Constitution for granted, because I know that so many people even in this day and age do not have those rights. Yeah there are times that it seems like if given the chance I would pack up and move to Europe to live, and I don't always agree with where our elected officials are taking this country, but I realize that the United States with all of its flaws is still one of the best places to live and call home in the world.

thecanopener

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by swooshfinn

Having spent time abroad, I realize the importance of the U.S. Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the all the wars (however popular or unpopular) they might have been. It saddens me that soo many people take the rights and privileges given to us by the Constitution for granted, because I know that so many people even in this day and age do not have those rights. Yeah there are times that it seems like if given the chance I would pack up and move to Europe to live, and I don't always agree with where our elected officials are taking this country, but I realize that the United States with all of its flaws is still one of the best places to live and call home in the world.
I agree, except for the part about ever wanting to pack up and move to Europe.
I love the U.S.A.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

We went to the Baseball Game and after it ended they did a flag burning. It was Sad to see them burned but they were old Flags. They said thats how they retire old Flags. They did a prayer before they burned them. the Fireworks came after that.
That is the proper way to dispose of Flags. They're burned out of respect. That way they don't end up in a garbage heap with someone's left over pizza. See, I DO remember something from girl scouts!

I'm glad to see patriotism isn't dead. It seems as if everyone is so eager to complain about the US, that we forget we are lucky to be able to complain at all. The "rights" we take for granted are the same rights people in other countries are fighting for and dying for every day. The USA isn't perfect, by any means, but I still love my country...faults and all.