I helped this little guy earlier

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my pomeranian Roxie for a walk this evening after dinner.. like I usually do, and on the way back home, I was crossing one of the streets, and I saw a bird jumping around.. I could tell he was still young, and he couldn't really fly. Then I saw some cars coming, and I didn't want him to get hit, so I grabbed him and brought him home with me and put him in our tree in the front yard.

I'm not too sure what kind of bird it was, but I got a couple pictures. They didn't turn out too great since he was up a little higher than me. Any guesses?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

No idea what kind he is besides, a CUTIE! Way to go for helping him out though!
Thanks! I found a little turtle back around the same area about a week ago, and even though hardly any cars are on that street, I picked him up and moved him off to the grass. I always do that when I come across little creatures wondering around.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, are you going to go out and feed it several times a day? It's parents could have been nearby and by removing it from that area you've now deprived it of their care. As for the turtle, if you didn't put it on the side it was heading to it likely just went back out on the street after you left. You meant well, but you can't remove animals from their normal area/territory.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Looks rather like an immature mourning dove. Good job on the save!
Thanks.
That's what I thought too.. but I wasn't sure. It kind of looks that way. It could fly a little, but then it landed back in the street.. so I didn't want to leave him there since it's kind of a busy one.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

Good for you! I love helping out God's little creatures
Me too.
I've gotten some weird looks when people are around, and I hate that. I'm not crazy, I'm just being nice..

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping it. But I think you should contact the local wildlife rescue and have them come pick it up so that it can be cared for and fed. Just putting it into a tree when it can't fend for itself is a death sentence for it.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job saving it from a gruesome death by wheel!
I do agree with Strangewings and Natalie though. How will you care for it now? If it calls loudly enough its parents may find it. But just to be safe, call your local wildlife rescue centre. Unfortunately, wild birds are the hardest to care for in captivity. Is there a tree near that busy street that you can leave that little guy for his parents to find?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's an immature mourning dove, and it sure seems like a lot of them are on the ground too early this year. I've seen 3 at work.