Do you wear a watch?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Strange question, you might ask, but as a teacher for well over two and a half decades, I tend to notice some trends among young people. One thing I've really noticed over the last few years is that only about 20% of my students (late teens/early twenties) wear watches, although most of them commute using public transportation, and have to watch their time.

They seem to check their cell phones for the time, so I can only assume that watchmakers everywhere have cursed the invention/spread of cell phones.

How do you check out the time? Is this a "generational thing"? I feel naked without a watch.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to always wear a watch but for the past year I rarely do. Why? I honestly do not know. I do check my cell phone for the time and the time is displayed on my phone on my desk at work as well as my monitor so I guess I just felt I didn't need one anymore. The other thing is my only watch is my 25 year watch from Union Carbide and is too expensive to wear every day and bang around.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are timepieces of various sorts scattered all over my life, so I guess I don't really NEED to wear a watch, but I'd feel naked without it, and always be looking for the time. Yes.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, like you, I am naked without a watch!

When my last one died, I continued to wear it until I could replace it!

I've noticed cell phones replace watches, too... I think you're right that it's generational, and I feel like I'm right on the edge of that generation. Most people older than me wear watches, most younger don't! Ironically, I always must wear a watch, but use my phone as a clock half the time too!

I love my current watch, it's solar powerd!

Interesting question!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't wear them. I caught them on so many things & hurt myself, breaking the watch...that I ceased to wear them.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put "It Depends"

When I am working I need to wear a watch because I have to count pulses and document times etc.

At home I never wear a watch, because I have the computer clock and a wall clock.

If I am going out and not taking "Handi Transit", I don't wear a watch either. However, I do wear a watch if I'm going out and relying on Handi Transit because I need to know the time so I don't miss my ride.

Oddly enough before I got into nursing I never wore a watch.

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't wear a watch, but I used to a long time ago when I was in middle school or so. I think the fact that everyone has a cell phone is why no one wears them anymore. I always just look at the time on my phone when I want to know what time it is since I always have it with me.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always wear a watch and I have the tan line to prove it

I get very disoriented if I don't have my watch on since i'm forever looking for the time

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to wear a watch, but I haven't for a few years now. I usually just check the time on my phone..

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I am working, I always wear my watch, but if I am not, I usually just check my cell phone. They were not allowed on my last job.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only wear a watch to work. Since I am a supervisor and I have to send people on breaks, I have to know what time it is. Also, whenever I do a cash pick up or anything I have to record the time.

At home, I just look at either the computer, tv or my phone for the time.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear a waterproof watch and it is analog, not digital. The only time I don't wear it is when I am on vacation with DH and I let him watch the time.

Not only do the kids have their cell phones and PDAs and their watches are LCDs.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i always wear a watch - except when in the water [bath or swimming]. i've had the same watch for quite some time - i'm on my 3rd band! that said - i'm LD when it comes to telling time on an analog clock, so i often check my phone [or other digital clock] to verify the time i think it is

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya, I have to say... if I want to know what time it is... I check the Cable Box, the Computer or my Cell Phone.

I remember when I was little (like elementary School... maybe middle school?)

It was cool to wear a watch... course not the conventional way... to wear it with the watch face down at your wrist and the clasp part at the top of your wrist... so you'd have to turn your wrist up to look at the time...
Looked like more of a 'bracelet that way?'

I guess if I were to wear a watch today... I'd wear it the same way.

I do remember when I had watches as a kid, they were always Mickey Mouse watches from the Disney Store that my Mom would buy.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wear a watch to work and when I travel on airplanes. If my cell phone displayed the time without me having to open it, I might use that more often.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. I use my cell ... or other clocks elsewhere...

The watch bothers my mousing hand/wrist.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There was a time when I would feel naked without a watch and I couldn't imagine how anyone could manage their day without one.

Then the batteries wore out in all three of mine at the same time. I did get them replaced but in the mean time got used to not wearing a watch.

After that I wore them sometimes. Then I had problems with my wrists (carpal tunnel) and couldn't wear them. Eventually just got out of the habit.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I wear a watch to work and when I travel on airplanes. If my cell phone displayed the time without me having to open it, I might use that more often.
hey, mine does!