Rectal prolapse?

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 10 week old kitten, well anyway the person I got her from says she is 10 weeks old but she is TINY, she looks like shes 6 weeks old and she can't even meow yet. I took her to the vet today and the vet did confirm that she is 8-10 weeks old because of her teeth.
Well the first bowel movement this kitten had in my home was normal but every one after that has been diahrrea and then we noticed that after she goes, the inside of her but comes outside of her body, I think about 1/4 inch? Not sure.
So I asked the vet about rectal prolapse and she said that usually its only animals that do not have tails that get rectal prolapse and that it is probably happening because she has worms and she is trying to poop them out but is having a hard time getting them out.
She put a dose of revolution on my kitten so I guess that should take care of the worms, but what do you think? Do you think shes right that it isn't rectal prolapse? I'm still worried.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
never heard of revolution for worms... thought it was an anti-flea prep?
Firefox got a shot for worms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
its for fleas, heartworm, roundworm, earmites, hookworm, can't remember if theres anything else.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

Neither have I. Mine got meds by mouth for worms.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

its for fleas, heartworm, roundworm, earmites, hookworm, can't remember if theres anything else.
My understanding from my vet is that Revolution is a "preventative" not a "cure" for those worms. I would check that out and maybe get a second opinion if it were my cat.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

My understanding from my vet is that Revolution is a "preventative" not a "cure" for those worms. I would check that out and maybe get a second opinion if it were my cat.
I second that opinion...get another opinion.

You can read about prolapsed rectum here...seems to me, that Vet should also have a read of it!

Meantime, there are things you can do...see the "Home Care and Prevention" section.

(If you get an annoying pop-up when you go to that link and you don't want to "register", just push the "control" key (Ctrl) and the letter "N" at the same time...that will open a clean browser.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be rectal prolapse. I know of a few cases, all of those cats had tails. They all of them but one were related to each other so I believe it could have been something hereditary.

Diarrhea or constipation are both problems the can lead to rectal prolapse.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

From what I can tell from the brochure on Revolution is that its a preventative for heartworm, but a cure for the other worms and ear mites. I asked about that in another thread on here to make sure I wasn't just reading it wrong and Sharky said that it is correct. Sharky is a pretty smart person so unless she just had a brain fart then it must be true

I'm not going to use that vet again, she doesn't seem to know what shes talking about and her prices are really high! She also didn't agree with me that adult Meow Mix is about the worst thing you can feed an underweight dehydrated kitten.

Blaise thanks for the link.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

What kind of worms did he have? Its not effective on tapeworms.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

What kind of worms did he have? Its not effective on tapeworms.
not sure if this was directed at me... but if so, i really can't remember. wasn't tapes, tho, 'cause i know what those look like.
think she got Droncit [sp]?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

From what I can tell from the brochure on Revolution is that its a preventative for heartworm, but a cure for the other worms and ear mites. I asked about that in another thread on here to make sure I wasn't just reading it wrong and Sharky said that it is correct. Sharky is a pretty smart person so unless she just had a brain fart then it must be true

I'm not going to use that vet again, she doesn't seem to know what shes talking about and her prices are really high! She also didn't agree with me that adult Meow Mix is about the worst thing you can feed an underweight dehydrated kitten.

Blaise thanks for the link.
I would also believe what Sharky says because she does her homework.
In fact, I would believe Sharky over any number of vets.

I wouldn't be too hard on the vet in regards to food recommendations since we all pretty much know that most vets don't know the first thing about nutrition - they are too busy at vet school learning the medical stuff which is fine with me. We've got folks like Sharky to help us do our own homework on nutrition.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tapeworms are caused by ingesting a flea, therefore a flea preventative like Revolution would help prevent tapeworms. It will not, however, get rid of the worms.

The only dewormers I have ever seen is an oral medication usually given daily over a few days (it's like thick yellowy stuff).

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by roxsam

tapeworms are caused by ingesting a flea, therefore a flea preventative like Revolution would help prevent tapeworms. It will not, however, get rid of the worms.

The only dewormers I have ever seen is an oral medication usually given daily over a few days (it's like thick yellowy stuff).
dewormers also come in tablet form.
I actually have only seen tapeworm wormer in tablet form not in a liquid form, although I've seen other types of wormers available in liquid form.
I havn't heard of any wormer given daily. Usually there is a first dose followed by a 2nd dose in 3 weeks.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see how having a tail or not would effect whether the cat will prolapse... A prolapsed rectum is a pretty serious thing too, it requires surgery to keep it in if it cannot be manually pushed back in or the cat doesn't pull it back in. Then you are only hoping it will heal and not come out anymore. I am caring for a dog at work who has this problem. She has had surgery twice now. If it is left untreated and keeps happening, it can damage the tissue and possible get infected and the cat will no longer be able to poop.

Make sure you are feeding the cat soft food, wet food, don't just feed hard, dry crunchies. That will only make the problem worse. You need to work the cat up to eating dry food, very slowly. That is great the vet dewormed it, but I really don't think that it happens from having worms.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Make sure you are feeding the cat soft food, wet food, don't just feed hard, dry crunchies. That will only make the problem worse. You need to work the cat up to eating dry food, very slowly. That is great the vet dewormed it, but I really don't think that it happens from having worms.
She has already been eating kibble for weeks, if switching to canned wet food will help her I will definately switch. Can you tell me why switching to wet food would help?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

She has already been eating kibble for weeks, if switching to canned wet food will help her I will definately switch. Can you tell me why switching to wet food would help?
more moisture, less waste product - which can mean smaller stools.