Revolution question

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was reading the information about revolution and it sounds to me like it says that if your cat has round worms or hook worms and you apply revolution then it will basically act as a wormer and you don't need to give your pet worming pills. Does that sound right?

And the same thing with ear mites, if you apply revolution it will take care of the mite problem?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
roundworm and hookworms yes ...

earmites yes...

but realize it is a systemic and GOES into the blood stream

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

It also protects against heartworm, which is often fatal in cats. One of the rescue cats I have came with heartworm, and I almost lost him. So it's worth it, and I think it's a great product, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I knew its a hearworm preventative but we don't have heartworm where we live : )

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

I knew its a hearworm preventative but we don't have heartworm where we live : )
"Preventative" is what I understand also. I'm not sure it will get rid of the worms if they are already there but I could be wrong - I've been wrong a couple times.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My baby-cat was diagnosed tapeworm last year and she's been on Revolution ever since. She got a shot to get rid of that, so yes, I think Revolution itself would not get rid of those already there

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thats what pepe is on to get rid of his ear mites

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got on the revolution website. Looks like revolution will deworm for hookworms and roundworms but another deworm medication is needed for tapeworms. Revolution is only a preventative for the tapeworms.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KKH

My baby-cat was diagnosed tapeworm last year and she's been on Revolution ever since. She got a shot to get rid of that, so yes, I think Revolution itself would not get rid of those already there
Tapeworms is not one of the worms it claims to be effective against. Only roundworm and hookworm.

Edited: Sorry Lele I didn't read your post before responding to this, didn't know you already answered it.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yes, they are safe, and definately safer than having fleas and tapeworms!
Haha, that was actually a rhetorical question because I posted an article right after that :p

Many vets here advise against dosing with Revolution (or other flea treatments) monthly and treat it as they come. It's what I do with my dog and so far, we haven't had an issue yet. She's 6 years old and isn't and hasn't been on any routine dosing of "pesticides". For those living in areas with heartworms, Interceptor is a better choice. Of course, this is just my opinion based on talking to vets and other owners. If you read the boxes, they'll tell you not to get it on your own skin.

Personally, if it's not safe for ME to have on my skin, why would I dose it monthly on my pets? They scratch themselves, lick their paws afterwards, groom themselves, etc. Basically, they ingest this stuff that we're not even supposed to touch with our own skin. Some people aren't aware of what's really in those products.

I can't speak for any outdoor cats, though.

(I don't mean to scare anyone, but I know of a lady who had two pets die from using Revolution.)

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MesmerizeK

Haha, that was actually a rhetorical question because I posted an article right after that :p

Many vets here advise against dosing with Revolution (or other flea treatments) monthly and treat it as they come. It's what I do with my dog and so far, we haven't had an issue yet. She's 6 years old and isn't and hasn't been on any routine dosing of "pesticides". For those living in areas with heartworms, Interceptor is a better choice. Of course, this is just my opinion based on talking to vets and other owners. If you read the boxes, they'll tell you not to get it on your own skin.

Personally, if it's not safe for ME to have on my skin, why would I dose it monthly on my pets? They scratch themselves, lick their paws afterwards, groom themselves, etc. Basically, they ingest this stuff that we're not even supposed to touch with our own skin. Some people aren't aware of what's really in those products.

I can't speak for any outdoor cats, though.

(I don't mean to scare anyone, but I know of a lady who had two pets die from using Revolution.)
I saw the article you posted, sorry if it was supposed to be a rhetorical question, but I still believe they are safe for most cats. People have died from using human medications that they turned out being allergic to but that doesn't necessarily make them unsafe for everyone. Its the same with cats.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that became ill from one dose of advantage. Luckily, he recovered after two weeks. After that incident, I no longer use any flea treatment for my indoor kitties. I have one dog and use Frontline plus, once every three months and not at all in the winter. Our dog is 6 years old and it has worked for us. I do believe all pesticide are toxic and harmful to your pets. If you don't belive that, then I don't know what to tell you.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shashagirl

I have a cat that became ill from one dose of advantage. Luckily, he recovered after two weeks. After that incident, I no longer use any flea treatment for my indoor kitties. I have one dog and use Frontline plus, once every three months and not at all in the winter. Our dog is 6 years old and it has worked for us. I do believe all pesticide are toxic and harmful to your pets. If you don't belive that, then I don't know what to tell you.
Well in my case I have to use it on all my animals every month, otherwise we have a huge infestation of fleas and tapeworm all around. The flea treatments are way safer that having constant infestations of multiple parasites. Its the best choice for MY animals. If you don't believe that, then I don't know what to tell you.

(If you believe its so harmful and TOXIC why on Earth do you put it on your dog??)

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put it on my dog because I don't want fleas in the house. The same reason you do , but I'm not going to say it's safe when I don't believe it is. I use the minimal amount, and I know that's bad. I have to weigh the risk, and I have two children and it's more important that they don't live with fleas. If it were just my husband and me, I wouldn't use toxic pesticides on my dog. I use to use diatamaceous earth and that work well for years until I found a tick on my dog and two year old son. When my children are a little older, I 'll research alternative flea treatment. I hope that answers your question.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shashagirl

I put it on my dog because I don't want fleas in the house. The same reason you do , but I'm not going to say it's safe when I don't believe it is. I use the minimal amount, and I know that's bad. I have to weigh the risk, and I have two children and it's more important that they don't live with fleas. If it were just my husband and me, I wouldn't use toxic pesticides on my dog. I use to use diatamaceous earth and that work well for years until I found a tick on my dog and two year old son. When my children are a little older, I 'll research alternative flea treatment. I hope that answers your question.
Thats basically what I said before..... its safer than having fleas and tapeworm. So I really don't know why and really don't appreciate the way you spoke so condescendingly to me earlier. I guess "safe" is a relative term. I take several medications that my doctors consider "safe". Of course these drugs, and ALL drugs, have detrimental effects as well as the benefits they provide. But the benefits outweigh the risks and they are considered "safe". They would not be considered "safe" for someone who is ultra-sensitive to them, as your one cat apparently was to the flea treatment, but that doesn't mean they are "unsafe" for the general population.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I saw the article you posted, sorry if it was supposed to be a rhetorical question, but I still believe they are safe for most cats. People have died from using human medications that they turned out being allergic to but that doesn't necessarily make them unsafe for everyone. Its the same with cats.
i looked at the article, as well... very scholarly in appearance, & somewhat subtle in scare-tactics... where was it published? also, at the end, it said the next issue would have a follow-up on natural pet control. is that article available, as well? by any chance, does the author have a healty pet vitamin of any kind to sell?