TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › kitchen/bath renovations thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

kitchen/bath renovations thread

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
i've started the process of renovating my kitchen & bath. it's still just at the beginning stages - i have the sinks, faucets, & the new stove has been installed. the counter guy was here today to measure for my estimate.
i'm also going to be replacing the fence outside - that guy is coming tomorrow to measure for the estimate. the current fence is a privacy fence [dog run size, basically] that's falling down.
i have pix of the old stove & the new stove, but other than that, all i have are links of what will be there. i'll be updating as things get accomplished - i'm thinking it'll probably all be finished in about 6-8 weeks.
here's the old stove:

here's the new stove:

also installing an adhesive faux stainless sheeting over the currently white dishwasher, so that all the appliances will match. oh, & also a new vent hood/microwave!
the following are links...
vent hood/microwave [altho mine is stainless]:
http://tinyurl.com.au/x.php?xhw
here's the kitchen sink [actually, i got a slightly different one, but it looks almost identical -cheaper!]: http://tinyurl.com.au/x.php?xhr
kitchen faucet [matte black finish]: http://www.moen.com/kitchen/renzo
bathroom sink:
http://tinyurl.com.au/x.php?xhl
bathroom faucet: http://tinyurl.com.au/x.php?xhm
and the formica - beveled edges - is Colorado Slate. it's on the top row, to the right - if you click the pic, it'll show you a larger pic: http://tinyurl.com.au/x.php?xht
post #2 of 27
That's very cool! What brand of stove did you buy - I couldn't read the name from the picture?

Ya know. Once you put in the cool countertop, you will want to put in a cool tile back splash!
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
That's very cool! What brand of stove did you buy - I couldn't read the name from the picture?

Ya know. Once you put in the cool countertop, you will want to put in a cool tile back splash!
no, backsplash will be the same as the countertop - but higher than the current 4" one.
stove is a Maytag.
post #4 of 27
Everything is going to be SO great together Laureen Love the bathroom sink and faucet I can't wait to see it when it's finished. I have that same cat plate that is above your stove
post #5 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
Everything is going to be SO great together Laureen Love the bathroom sink and faucet I can't wait to see it when it's finished. I have that same cat plate that is above your stove
my sister gave me that - it's reminiscent of my 1st cat, a tortie named Medley.
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
i've started the process of renovating my kitchen & bath. it's still just at the beginning stages...... i'm thinking it'll probably all be finished in about 6-8 weeks.
I'm sure you'll be very happy once all is finished! We were looking at dishwashers/stoves/fridge this weekend. Can't decide which ones to get.

How I wish my renovation process would be finished in 6-8 weeks.
post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Blue View Post

How I wish my renovation process would be finished in 6-8 weeks.
well, now, you're doing a far more complete job than i am! i'm replacing stove, sink, faucet & countertops - that's all. cabinets will most likely get new hinges [they're all sprung so they won't stay closed] w/magnetic catches... & i already have knobs for them that my sister made from polymer clay [little kitty heads, ]. but flooring stays, fridge was replaced about 2 years ago, dishwasher just gets a facelift... & NO altering of the basic footprint of the kitchen.

i'm also getting new loveseats for the living room, & a new dining table & chairs @ Ikea. i've looked at them online, & have picked out the table: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20104718
i want hardwood chairs that'll match - but i want to sit in them before deciding.
these are the loveseats i want [w/the birch frame] - but i don't care for the fabric choices: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19850963
i'm thinking get them & make slipcovers that i DO like!
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
well, finally finished assembling all the [current] IKEA furniture today. also, countertops are done, microwave installed, etc. so took pix!
new loveseat & end table

new rocker & old rocker [ignore everything else - not completely organized yet!]

new table & chairs [also old chairs not yet removed ]

new kitchen countertops [covered w/stuff, as usual] also new kitched sink & faucet...

old microwave - headed to school...

new stove w/new microwave vent hood - also covered the dishwasher w/'stainless' contact paper.

new bathroom counters, sink & faucet

also got a new wardrobe, but it has mirrored doors, so kinda hard to take a pic of!
post #9 of 27
Very nice, Laureen! I really like all the stainless.
post #10 of 27
Thats really nice Laureen! It all came together really well!!
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Thats really nice Laureen! It all came together really well!!
post #12 of 27
Everything is going to look fantastic when it all comes together...Love the stainless steel applicences, they give everything a clean modern look..
Kudo's on a great job in progress....
post #13 of 27
Had to look twice on the rocker - that's kinda cool. What will you do with the old one? I like that one too
post #14 of 27
Oh, gosh, you've chosen the very same IKEA gateleg table and loveseat that I've been wishing for, right down to the birch finish! Do we have great taste or what?
post #15 of 27
Very nice Laureen

We're also in the process of redoing ours as well! I spent several hours yesterday finishing up priming the master bathroom! FINALLY!!!! It has taken me forever to do it because I've had no help whatsoever..DH has been working a lot lately, so i've been doing that all by myself. (two of my friends came over yesterday though and helped thankfully, up until that point i've been doing the entire thing by myself with a tiny paint brush because rollers won't work on those areas!) I'm going to paint it a pretty medium green color called "grasshoper wing" and do the trim in a cream called "white lace."

We're also getting two message centers build into our kitchen soon! I'm also planning to order some jewel tiles from an online company that discounts them so I can do a really neat backsplash. I'm sooo excited about the updates. (I can't wait for the message centers to be built so I have extra storage for my cook books and all and an area for me to put my computer in.) We're getting them put in unfinished then we're going to sand and stain all of the cabinetry in the kitchen to match and add tile to the kitchen and bathroom (the master bath has old carpet in it that doesn't do good in high humiditiy rooms and the kitchen has torn up lanolium crap). When we get done with the kitchen we're going to repaint the master bedroom as well and then the guest bathroom that has ugly wallpaper at the moment. It's going to be a while before it's all done but hopefully it'll look good!

There's enough room in our attic currently to put in a bedroom/office type area up there if it's finished as well so we've got contractors comming out in the next few weeks to get started on our attic I'm thrilled about that one- we're going to finish out our attic so DH can move his office in there and I can use the current downstairs room that's attached off our master bath as a nursery when we have children. I'm planning to do a huge mural in there so I want to get that project going soon!

How long did it take you guys to do all the updates? They look very nice! I really love your new stove!!! The countertops look good too!

Was the faux stainless steel sheeting easy to apply? I would like to put eithor that or a black sheeting on my fridge to blend in with the rest of the kitchen. I was planning to eithor use the sheeting or an appliance paint. Any idea how well it holds up?
post #16 of 27
I see a black/white kitty blending with the rocker!

The place looks great!
post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tierre0 View Post
Everything is going to look fantastic when it all comes together...Love the stainless steel applicences, they give everything a clean modern look..
Kudo's on a great job in progress....
it's done... nothing else to do but finish putting away things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Had to look twice on the rocker - that's kinda cool. What will you do with the old one? I like that one too
old one stays - family rocker. besides, i like the contrast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
Oh, gosh, you've chosen the very same IKEA gateleg table and loveseat that I've been wishing for, right down to the birch finish! Do we have great taste or what?
actually, i wanted a different birch table - but it wasn't carried in the local store, & shipping was unreal if i ordered it. so went w/this one, instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I see a black/white kitty blending with the rocker!

The place looks great!
yeah, they seem to like the new furniture! the rocker [1st piece put together] is already covered in fur [sister helped me 'reorganize' a few weeks ago, & my pet hair magnet has been misplaced ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Very nice Laureen
How long did it take you guys to do all the updates? They look very nice! I really love your new stove!!! The countertops look good too!

Was the faux stainless steel sheeting easy to apply? I would like to put eithor that or a black sheeting on my fridge to blend in with the rest of the kitchen. I was planning to eithor use the sheeting or an appliance paint. Any idea how well it holds up?
mine took about 8 weeks for everything except the microwave/vent hood. my dad installed it a couple of weeks ago, so i waited until then to take the pix.
the stainless sheeting seemed pretty easy to apply... but it's developed some bubbles not sure how to prevent that...
thanks for all the compliments, everyone!
post #18 of 27
I love it. The counters look similar to my kitchen ones. I should take some pictures and show you. And I love the stainless as that is what I have. Very good taste. When we built this house last year dad put in all stainless appliances and maple cabinets with a natural finish and similar counters to yours and I love it as you will yours. The darker counters don't show dirt as bad if you get a bit of crumbs on it and its not so dark as to make the room look small.
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom View Post
I love it. The counters look similar to my kitchen ones. I should take some pictures and show you. And I love the stainless as that is what I have. Very good taste. When we built this house last year dad put in all stainless appliances and maple cabinets with a natural finish and similar counters to yours and I love it as you will yours. The darker counters don't show dirt as bad if you get a bit of crumbs on it and its not so dark as to make the room look small.
i already like the fact that the inevitable tea stains don't even show! the white counters showed EVERYTHING!
i'd've loved to replace the cabinets w/something a bit lighter & more interesting, but didn't really have the budget for that. i might add some molding next summer to improve the look. of course, if i EVER get around to putting them on, i have little cat head knobs my sister made for them...
post #20 of 27
We put older looking handles on all of our doors and drawers. The bathroom is completely different though the bathroom itself is done in two colors. a light pink on the top and a burgundy on the bottom. And we have a bathtub which is seperate from a stand up shower. That was my idea because when I broke my ankle I found out that if you are unable to stand very well stepping over a tub side is hard and my dad is in his late 60s so I thought a shower would be much better for him. And we have our washer and dryer in a little corner in the bathroom and a huge closet in there and of course the sink which is an off creamy white type of color, the washer and dryer are white so dad made everything else match them. And there is still enough room for me to lay a queen sized bed in the middle of it and have walking room. Its as big as my bedroom and its a 12'x12' it might even be bigger.
post #21 of 27
Maybe it's just me, or maybe you have plans for that... but I think the blue looks bad. Especially that it looks like that whole area is blue. Your counters, appliances, and even new furniture don't match what looks more like a "country" color.
Change that up and maybe the cabinets will look better to you - or at least let you work with them longer.

Everything else is nice, but the blue makes it look too small/crowded.


btw, if you've mentioned plans for that elsewhere and I missed it - oops
post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
i actually chose the formica based on the wall color - but it may not translate well in the pix. there aren't any plans to repaint - i repainted all of the walls about 3-4 years ago - the whole house is blue [well, the laundry room is still yellow, but nobody ever goes in there but me]. the front rooms, hall & bath are that light blue [everything except the kitchen is also faux finished w/lighter blue & white] & the 2 bedrooms [1 of which i use as a den] are a dark blue.
the den is very dark - dark furniture, shades + curtains on the windows. i have migraines - this room is my 'cave' for migraine days.
post #23 of 27
We chose the formica instead of granite. And now I am glad we did they are having some problems with some kind of health affects to granite. And what we got was the next step down. Dad was going to get laminate but we got him to agree to the other as we told him you get what you pay for. That is why we got ceramic tile for the kitchen and bathroom and laminate floors for the rest ours are that wood laminate and it looks like a maple hardwood. And I like blue one of the bedrooms here is blue. and when I get an office in the basement one day it will be blue.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
the den is very dark - dark furniture, shades + curtains on the windows. i have migraines - this room is my 'cave' for migraine days.
You know, I found out years ago that your room could be completely white, but if no light gets in it doesn't matter. I use to have up to 3 migraines a week (or maybe I never really had a break between them) as a teen till 21. I fixed my bedroom so that absolutely no light could get in.
Point - you can get very very good shades to help with light problems.

I like blue, but I don't think it works well for large areas - or at least not a lot of shades of it do. The master bedroom in DH and I's house has a blue bedroom, and some holes in the walls to fix. I'm thinking a warm beige color so the room looks bigger.
The blue you used, makes the rooms look small in the pictures. A break between it while taking the blue (and other hues of it) into smaller stuff - throw blankets, pillows and so on would just add the illusion of more space.
post #25 of 27
I love it!

Even if some people dont agree with the colour blue, (i have walked out of many open houses due to the colour as it gets on my nerves) As long as you love it and feel confortable i dont see why you have to change it!

I know this house suits you so this is why i love it
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
The blue you used, makes the rooms look small in the pictures. A break between it while taking the blue (and other hues of it) into smaller stuff - throw blankets, pillows and so on would just add the illusion of more space.
it's not the color - the rooms ARE small. the whole house is only 927 square feet!
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
it's not the color - the rooms ARE small. the whole house is only 927 square feet!
I figured that. Initially DH was looking at a house around that size - since it's just the two of us and pets. I told him no. Besides the thing was overpriced for that size.

I've seen people make apartments that size and smaller look bigger. Overall it depends on color choice, furniture, and of course budget.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › kitchen/bath renovations thread