foster kittens

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got two little black foster kittens from the shelter today. They are my first fosters and are 4 weeks old. I can't get them to eat. They don't seem interested. I made a mush with dry food mixed with water and kitten formula. I also tried a bottle which they wouldn't take. Any other suggestions? Also the baby in the first picture is about half the size of the other and seems kind of skinny. She is still feisty though.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just recieved 5 foster kittens yesterday and they are in the same condition-malnourished and scared out of their skulls. I would try and give them some canned kitten food or A/D which you can get from a veterinarian. I gave my 5 both wet/dry kitten food last night and they did not eat before I went to bed but the plate was clean this morning. Give them some time a safe place to hide and they should do just fine. I keep ours in a spare bathroom for a few days to let them adjust then I let them out with my 9 kitties to play for a limited and supervised time. Our last litter of fosters was way easier than this bunch, but their personalities are way different too.

I would keep and eye on the smaller of the two and make sure that she stays well hydrated and eating-if she doesn't eat by tomorow I would make sure she is seen by a vet.

Good luck with them they are both cuties!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks! They just ate not a whole lot but they chowed down for a few minutes! They start meowing every time I leave their sight.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor little guys, they have to be scared and unsure of their surroundings. I send hugs their way!

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are now playing inside their cage and they ate all the food I provided for them. I weighed them and the bigger one weighs 10.9 ounces and the small one 5.6 ounces. What is the normal weight for 4 week olds?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

They are now playing inside their cage and they ate all the food I provided for them. I weighed them and the bigger one weighs 10.9 ounces and the small one 5.6 ounces. What is the normal weight for 4 week olds?
when i rescued Firefox, the vet told me a pound a month was normal. she was @ least 4 weeks, might've been 5 or 6 - she weighed 9 ounces, poor baby!

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
poor little thing! These might be older than 4 weeks I'm not sure but they are definatly tiny especially the little runt girl.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rich kitten food helps put on the pounds and they love it. I use Wellness it has lots of good fat in it.
As far as size. Just like human babies, kittens need touch and love to thrive. I would carry them around as much as possible. I would hold them close to you so that they feel secure sooner. Mine wanted me 24/7. They still want me but they are more secure at almost 3 months.