Top Entry Litterbox?????

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is everyones thoughts on these? Does anyones use this?

I have one of my litterboxes IN my kitchen under one of the counters that is the large 'desk' opening type counter area with drawers on each side... anyway... maybe you know what I'm talking about?

So I currently have a Covered litterbox there... I've been looking for ideas on what ELSE to put there... I was 'thinking' of getting a 'Booda Dome' litter box, its round... a little more 'asthetically' pleasing maybe... I can turn it so that they leave out the side so that the front does not face IN the kitchen... BUT... then I saw the Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox

What are your everyones thoughts on these? Comments from those that use them... Thanks! Or maybe from those that use the Booda Dome... should I just save myself from the over uniqueness of this thing and get that instead? I'm wondering to myself if my cats would even figure this thing out???? Would they just jump right on eachothers ... 'mess' if its not covered properly?... maybe I've just answered for myself whether I want one of these or not... I dunno

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow, well those are a much cheaper solution to the almost $40 Clevercat open top box. Thank You!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lore

wow, well those are a much cheaper solution to the almost $40 Clevercat open top box. Thank You!
i think the idea behind the translucent sterilite container is to prevent ambushes. size-wise, a similar opaque container [sans lid] would work just as well.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought mine the Clevercat top entry and they wouldn't use it until I took off the lid. It isn't that terribly tall and I don't think they had enough head room once inside. They didn't seem to want to hang their head out of the hole in the top. Most of mine like to circle in the litter box before they find the right spot. This box limits them.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I bought large storage boxes very similar to that for a fraction of the price. I didn't bother with the lids though.

Heres Jack modelling it
your photo says its been removed or deleted?

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's what I said in the other top-entry litterbox thread a couple weeks ago:

Originally Posted by lsanders

I admit it, I was a sucker who paid $30 for what is essentially a Rubbermaid tote with a hole in the lid.

I needed something that was going to be nearly dog-proof (we have a basenji- 'nuff said.) and it has really worked in that regard. Albus has never had an issue with using it- I transitioned him into it from a regular, open box by putting it next to the open box and putting him in there so he could feel the litter was there. I left the lid off for a couple of days and he started it using it immediately instead of the open box. After a couple of days, I put the lid on and took away the old box and he's been happy with it ever since.

Every cat is different of course, but cats in general seem to be more modest about their business (in comparison to dogs) so I've never had a cat who didn't have a problem using a closed box.

As for the litter tracking, I think the theory is that you're supposed to put it against the wall with the end that has the hole against the wall (the hole in the lid isn't centered, it's closer to one end) and then the cat walks across the lid with the grooves on it to knock the litter out of their paws. I don't have mine set up the right way- we keep it in the office and it's sort of functions as our "don't know what to do with it? Throw it in there!" room, as well. Once we re-sort the room, I'm going to put it against the wall and with a filing cabinet and set of drawers on each side of it, so Albus will have to walk across the top- now he just jumps out and goes wherever, so it's not really doing its job.
I'd definitely say if you're unsure if your cat will like it, go the cheaper route and just buy a Rubbermaid/Sterilite/whatever box. Albus is pretty tall for a cat and doesn't seem to have any problem with head room. I think every cat is different and you won't know until you try.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, NOT only did this solve my Cat Pee through the cracks of the covered box or out the opening
, I tested this out in just the box in the kitchen area & its a BIG hit, the cats LOVE it, infact when I go to scoop the other boxes... they have been EMPTY... lol, they are ONLY using the new set up
So I am going to go out and get more 14 Gallon Rubbermaid Boxes and replace all the other covered litter boxes.

How GREAT is this... a MILLION times easier to clean & scoop, I opted to cut nothing... they hop right in.

Thank YOU all for the advice!

Here is Yuki Modeling infront of her new box. She gives it the Golden Scoop Award.