hypoglecemia (and women issues)

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I was reading the other diabeties thread.
My (maternal) grandpa, (maternal) grandma, (maternal) aunt, all have dibeties. My aunt had gestational diabetes and got retested after having her baby and still has diabeties.
My mom has hypoglecemia (low blood sugar).
I was reading about it online and took a test (online quiz). A score of over 20 listed a person as an increased risk, I scored a 99!
(Here is a link to the quiz so you see what I mean: http://www.hypoglycemia.org/hypo_test.asp)

On top of that, I had my remaining tube tied on May 13th. (I lost the first to an ectopic pregnancy last September). When I had surgery I was diagnosed with endometriosis. I was told that I had 2 choices, stay on birth control or have a hystorectomy. I am only (just about) 28. So I switched bc pills to one that was supposed to shorten and lighten periods, I always have super heavy periods. Well, since 1 week after having surgery I have bled almost continuously! During the week I was supposed to have my period I thought it would be light since I had already bled the WHOLE month, wrong, it was the heaviest period that I have ever had!!! Then I had maybe a week and a half break (and QUIT taking the pill) and I have started bleeding AGAIN!! I am sure I am also animic. I am so exhausted.

One of the last times I saw my family doctor (probably in March) she put me on high blood pressure medication. Well since I started a new job the beginning of June working late nights (7-1 weekdays, 3-1 weekends) and the meds made me tired I quit taking them as well.

I know I should go to the doctor but I have no insurance and can't afford it. I guess I am just getting this off my chest.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you scored high. A several those questions, such as fatigue and dizziness, can be caused by a lot of things. (I got a 57 due to other health issues that could mimic hypoglycemia symptoms.) One solution, that certainly won't hurt you, is to eat more small meals instead of three large ones a day. If it helps, good. If not, no harm done and it's actually better for a lot of people.

I'm more concerned about all the bleeding and that you were put on high BP meds. Birth control pills are known for raising BP, so they could be causing you problems there. And bleeding so much could have caused you some anemia. Could you at least get your family doctor to order you a CBC?

If you don't want to be on high BP meds you need to consider changing life style (if you haven't already) to help lower it. The DASH diet works for a lot of people. And get a blood pressure cuff if you don't already own one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
since I had surgery I have lost 20 pounds (without really trying to do anything besides portion control).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

since I had surgery I have lost 20 pounds (without really trying to do anything besides portion control).
Since May? That's quite an accomplishment!
The DASH diet isn't really about losing weight though, it's focus is lowering blood pressure. A big part of it being eating more fresh fruits and veggies and less preprocessed high sodium foods. Look it up.
At the very least you may find some information on sodium content in foods and what to avoid on unmarked foods (when eating out).

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have anemia from bleeding. I take 2 high dose Iron Pills a day and am still tired. I was told never to take birth control pills because they are not safe for me. I hope you feel better. i have never had high Bp even though my asthma Meds can cause it.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did your Dr explain what to watch out for with the BP meds? Which one's did she put you on? If you were getting tired on them, it could have been that your BP was going to low or even your heart rate depending on what 1 she put you on. Some meds labeled for BP use also help with other conditions so you really should call your Dr if it wasn't specifically for high BP.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pipersjo

Did your Dr explain what to watch out for with the BP meds? Which one's did she put you on? If you were getting tired on them, it could have been that your BP was going to low or even your heart rate depending on what 1 she put you on. Some meds labeled for BP use also help with other conditions so you really should call your Dr if it wasn't specifically for high BP.
That is a good point. I think it's discouraged for doctors to use beta blockers as a first line of treatment for high BP now that there's better BP meds specifically for that - but some still do it. Whatever was used, if the dose wasn't adjusted accordingly that could have made her feel awful, too.

I deal with very low blood pressure every single day - it makes me tired, it makes me dizzy/lightheaded, and just feel rotten in general when it dips too low. For someone used to being high or slightly high, a dip to low or low normal would feel pretty bad and could even make you feel like you were hypoglycemic.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Of course you scored high. A several those questions, such as fatigue and dizziness, can be caused by a lot of things.
like the afternoon headaches - i get those, but i also sometimes wake w/one, or get one in the morning.
& i get a headache if i skip meals, as well. the emotionality ones could be related to other things, like depression, personality type, etc.
that said - i only scored an 18.
you should probably be taking iron, with all of that bleeding. fatigue can also be caused by anemia.
i agree w/the CBC idea, too - plus, maybe take your BP when you get home at night? i know i take 3 different ones, & one is known to cause tiredness. i just take that one at night - solves the problem!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

: maybe take your BP when you get home at night? i know i take 3 different ones, & one is known to cause tiredness. i just take that one at night - solves the problem!
I go to work at 7 and work till 1 (3-1 on weekends) and I have to get up when the kids to in the mornings, usually between 6 and 7 am. So I am getting too little sleep to risk meds that make me tired. It specifically says on the label to take before bedtime. I think it is called propranal, enderol is the nongeneric name, I think,

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I go to work at 7 and work till 1 (3-1 on weekends) and I have to get up when the kids to in the mornings, usually between 6 and 7 am. So I am getting too little sleep to risk meds that make me tired. It specifically says on the label to take before bedtime. I think it is called propranal, enderol is the nongeneric name, I think,
is it possible to switch to something else? i take enalapril & cartia, besides the clonidine [that's the one that supposed to make you tired].

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think it is called propranal, enderol is the nongeneric name, I think,
Propranolol (Inderal) is a beta blocker - they have a lot of side effects, including affecting blood sugar, so you may want to consider looking it up.

A lot of people also report that generic beta blockers cause them even worse side effects...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am on only whole food supplements and got a 85 but I have known for nearly 2 and a half Decades I was at risk ... Mom had it ...

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and scored an 85

My dad has diabetes as did my grandpa

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am diabetic, but am trying to control it with diet. My doc says he would rather I do it that way. I am also on high doses of iron, and it is beginning to pay off. I am not so tired all the time, and my head seems a little clearer. I have been a little foggy since hitting my head twice in less than 4 months, and possibly having a mini stroke that landed me in the hospital for 3 days. It was pretty much a given, since everyone in my family had diabetes.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been wondering for a long time if I might not be hypoglycemic. I took the quiz and tried to be as honest and as objective as possible and scored an 83.
I do not have insurance or funds to take myself to the doctor because the doctor would certainly require some testing to find out if I did have hypoglycemia...

Perhaps I should go to the library and check out some books on how to eat properly if you are hypoglycemic. There are probably a lot of changes that I could make to my diet that would make me feel better, whether I am hypoglycemic or not.

Especially if they help with the fatigue and the headaches.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

Perhaps I should go to the library and check out some books on how to eat properly if you are hypoglycemic. There are probably a lot of changes that I could make to my diet that would make me feel better, whether I am hypoglycemic or not.

Especially if they help with the fatigue and the headaches.
if the dietary treatment for hypoglycemia is similar to that for diabetes, you don't have to check out a book [altho, if you do, Sugar Busters is a good one, IMO]. there are low-glycemic indexes all over the web. here's one, for example: http://www.glycemicindex.com/
where you can put in the food, & it tells you what the glycemic index is. also tells you what it means,

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

if the dietary treatment for hypoglycemia is similar to that for diabetes, you don't have to check out a book [altho, if you do, Sugar Busters is a good one, IMO]. there are low-glycemic indexes all over the web. here's one, for example: http://www.glycemicindex.com/
where you can put in the food, & it tells you what the glycemic index is. also tells you what it means,

Yeah, but I like books.
I love visiting the library and checking out books and reading all about stuff.

I would like to have some diabetes friendly cookbooks because of my husband's diabetes and my potential hypoglycemia. Maybe I should buy Sugar Busters.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

Yeah, but I like books.
I love visiting the library and checking out books and reading all about stuff.

I would like to have some diabetes friendly cookbooks because of my husband's diabetes and my potential hypoglycemia. Maybe I should buy Sugar Busters.
i understand - i like books, too! there's a paperback version of Sugar Busters that i saw on Amazon for around $8.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I scored an 85. My whole family has diabetes (mother, father did, grandmother did, grandfather, 2 maternal aunts). I try not to get it (type 2), but I could be trying harder. It's just so hard when you love sweets as much as I do.