What are your hobbies (other than loving kitties)?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are soo good! i wanna eat them!
Can you tell me how you make that icing for the top and how you decorate it? i can only use chocolate, but on the other hand i havent found any food colouring ANYWHERE!

I really want to make my own wedding cake.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Um I hope you're planning on opening up a cake business because those are FABULOUS!!! Really talented! Do you watch the Food Network cake challenges?

I play piano, clarinet, and sing, those are my hobbies, I used to crochet but got away from it. I like to garden but don't have a big one yet. I like playing Nintendo Wii too! And travel and stuff with cooking and wine.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cake decorations!! Makes me want cake...

As for me, my hobbies are origami, reading, and cooking. I mainly fold flowers and boxes, but don't usually take pictures of my origami. Here are some though.

That's the bottom of an origami box and a tree on top of it.

A star made from a straw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HerbalHeidi

Wow. Amazing. I really want cake now!
Thank you so much!!
When you make it often, you really stop wanting it.

So, what are YOUR hobbies??

Originally Posted by DeeDeeMay

Wow! Absolutely love the daisies decoration, so awesome!
Thank you! The daisies are my absolute favorite flower to make.

Originally Posted by mews2much

Those Cats are great. I like the one with flowers the best.
Thanks, that's one of my favorites as well.

Originally Posted by fwan

You are soo good! i wanna eat them!
Can you tell me how you make that icing for the top and how you decorate it? i can only use chocolate, but on the other hand i havent found any food colouring ANYWHERE!

I really want to make my own wedding cake.
All of those cakes are covered in fondant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fondant), which is dough-like. With the exception of the daisies and the grass for the golf cake, all the decorations are fondant as well.

The daisies are made of gumpaste (technically edible but YEUCK!) and the grass is just colored coconut.

Originally Posted by greenvillegal

Um I hope you're planning on opening up a cake business because those are FABULOUS!!! Really talented! Do you watch the Food Network cake challenges?

I play piano, clarinet, and sing, those are my hobbies, I used to crochet but got away from it. I like to garden but don't have a big one yet. I like playing Nintendo Wii too! And travel and stuff with cooking and wine.
Thank you!!
I watch those shows all the time. I'm not sure about a business as DH and I are not financially ready for a leap like that (that and I work 40 hours a week). But I'm doing it for family, friends, and lots of fun.

I wish I could sing...I can't carry a tune in a bucket. Can't play an instrument either. :/

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are beautiful cakes

So far as my hobbies go, I have several but am more active with some than others.

My current interest is graphic art.

However some of my other hobbies that I do on occasion, but not nearly as often as I used to are:

Cross stitch
Ribbon Embroidery
Cake Decorating
Crocheting
Sewing

Ages ago I used to do rug hooking which I enjoyed. I've been thinking of taking that up again too and making a bathroom mat.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree - those are really nice cakes!
for hobbies [besides TCS
] i read, watch tv, & participate in my local community musical theatre - usually as a performer, but sometimes as crew.
i'll be working as [i think] light board operator for the upcoming show... that'll be a new duty - i'm looking forward to learning how to do it! [unless they can't find a spot person, which is what they ASKED me to do - but i'm really too short for spot to be easy for me to do.]

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oooo! Lovely cakes! My mom used to decorate cakes for family and friends, but she only used buttercream frosting, not marzipan or fondant or whatever it is you're using!

I love any kind of textile crafting: sewing, cross-stitch, embroidery, quilting and crocheting...but I crochet and sew more than anything else. I want to learn to knit eventually, but right now I feel like there are so many more crochet techniques I have not explored that I'm not ready to branch out to knitting yet. I also enjoy making my own stationery and other paper-y crafts. I'm starting to think about doing some origami, as well. Music is also another passion I have, singing, playing piano and collecting musical instruments. I used to collect stamps when I was a kid, which was always fun for me, but I don't have the money for that anymore. I hope to have a huge garden one day, now that I finally have a yard! Photography is another thing I aspire to, but I have alot to learn in that area. I enjoy cooking, too! Whew! I guess I have alot of hobbies, huh?!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is one awesome cake!!! You do great work!

Well I an quite the avid gardener and do that as a job, however its not as much fun doing it as a job so this will be my last year. I have a large veg garden and do lots of freezing/canning-make my own catsup, bbq sauce etc. I (we) grow lots of hostas I'm still a rookie though at about 275 varieties and enjoy ornamental grasses in which I have about 40 varieties!!
I taught myself to knit but jus do scarves for now. I bought a Trek bike and really want to ride around the countryside by my house.
I sew but haven't really made anything lately-Neil wants me to learn how to use the lathe like he did as I would really like to make wooden bowls.
I do make "concrete" art-have to take some pictures and post but mainly hosta leaves which I learned a new finishing technique and have some for sale at a local design studio.
I've done stamping in the past too just not lately-mainly in the winter.

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love the cakes! I've done a bit with fondant, but not enough to get really good at it.

Hobbies:
Music--I sing and collect world percussion instruments and used to play trombone
Reading--high and low brow
Graphic Design and artist's books
Bellydance--I teach it!
Photography
Computer geekery

Angie

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Those are amazing cakes! WOW!
Now I wanna learn how to do fondant!

I find it heard to hold onto a craft-like hobby for a long time--I always get bored and move on to something different. I've dabbled in origami, sewing, cross-stitch, knitting, and sketching, plus quite a few more.

In my free time right now (when I dont have a ride) I do computer-geekery. I also still do the occasional clay sculpture, but can't seem to find a good material to use since I dont have the oven to fire sculptures in, and the air-dry stuff is no good for the fine details I like to try to do.

When I do have a ride into town, I ride horses! This year I started barrelracing, and am now doing that as much as possible. I also exercise horses for friends, and am now in the process of training my own horse!
That, in conjunction with my new job, takes up all my free time, so I don't do nearly as much hobbies as I used to.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cakes are nice. If you don't want to start a business at least see if people will pay you a little for your time and supplies - especially if you have to buy special pans for a particular cake.

My hobbies - I make stuff, including messes.
I paint, draw, and work in color pencil and oil pastels sometimes. I make boxes - I'll take any non corrugated cardboard and use it, then cover the box with cloth. I use plain old white school glue for the cloth.

I have some weaving I need to finish and some sewing projects that I'd like to finish and start (when I have space).
I make jewelry. I've occasionally done some paper crafts (not origami) but it uses a lot of printer ink. I also read and build/mess with (hopefully not break) computers.

...I have boxes of stuff everywhere and many things not in boxes. Books, beads, wire, fabric, computer parts...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I make stuff, including messes.
Story of my life

Computing is my main hobby, I guess. I'm literally addicted to forums, message boards, and LiveJournal. Aside from computers, I play/collect Atari 2600 and NES games. As of right now I have six Ataris. I also like photography, paint and pencil by numbers, collecting Fleetwood Mac stuff, playing bass guitar, riding my bike, motorcycling, and doing scraperfoil art. I wish I could do cross-stitch but I'm not very good at it.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are CAKES? Amazing!! They look way too good to eat!!

As for me, I have quite a few little past times I enjoy, but only two that are big enough to be called "hobbies". Though really they are to the point of being practically my life rather than hobbies!

I'm in Search and Rescue, which is pratically a way of life for me. Though I must admit, since my dog retired, it takes up a lot less time!

My other hobby is volunteering at our local little theater. That only is intermittent, though, as the plays come and go. Our last one was Urinetown, I know I've mentioned it a few times here, and our next one is Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. So I'm between plays right now! After Cat, we're doing Cinderalla! Looking forward to that one!