cast update aka soooo bored (long)

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monday Afteernoon I went and had a cast put on for my achilles tendon problems. The Dr says that, in three weeks, he will remove it and see how things are progressing then put another one on for 3-5 more weeks. He didn't have any colors to choose from...just white.

I HAD to decorate

Things have been rather boring around here otherwise. Hubby says that I am not allowed to go upstairs so before the cast was put on, we moved all the sewing stuff down here. I have bruises under my arms from the crutches even though I have good padding on them and don't put them in my armpits. My other leg is sore from hopping around on one foot. I am going to end up with one "bun of steel"

This morning, there was a police car and the coroner's hearse parked on the street when hubby got me up (he insists that I am awake and downstairs before he leaves for work). Evidently the neighbor across the street died. Hubby said that he was the only one not seen walking out of the house this morning. He was rather a portly gent and not much older than about 50. Not sure why he died, but by the gallon bag of meds that the coroner brought out, I would venture that he had health problems. I didn't really know these people, but I am not sure if I should send flowers.

It is hubby's an my 3rd wedding anniversary today. By the time it really hit me Sunday evening that I hadn't got a gift for him yet, it was too late for me to be able to get out of the house and get something. Instead, I waited until he fell asleep on the couch and I got out the credit card and the laptop. The nice people at Made In Oregon had various gift baskets that they sell, I did look at flowers, but they didn't seem like a good gift for a guy. Instead, I settled on a gift basket with two types of Tillamook Cheddar, some smoked sausage, roasted hazelnuts, chocolate covered hazelnuts, smoked pacific salmon, and gourmet mustard. The cost of the basket - $49.99, the cost of shipping perishables from 2500miles away, overnight - $35.00. I wrote him a nice note on the whiteboard and left his gift in the fridge. I think he was happy, but I didn't tell him what it cost

I went to hide the box that the gift box came in. The neighbor's recycle box was good enough (they are the in-laws and they don't mind) and they invited me in for cappucino. Later on, Mom (his mom, that is) brought over a salad for my lunch and I ate it and the salad that Hubby had left me in the fridge. I think his mom likes having somone to mother
His parents are wonderful people and they make excellent neighbors

Lucky for all you, Marcie has just deposited herself into my arms and on my lap, so I can't hardly type anymore. Sorry for the long post

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using wooden crutches?? When I broke a bone in my foot I resorted to lots of hopping around!!
So who is going to do the cooking/cleaning etc????
Can you get outside to sit-I would figure out something to put on bottom of cast so it doesn't get to dirty-duct tape a towel perhaps then a plastic garage bag???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Are you using wooden crutches?? When I broke a bone in my foot I resorted to lots of hopping around!!
So who is going to do the cooking/cleaning etc????
Can you get outside to sit-I would figure out something to put on bottom of cast so it doesn't get to dirty-duct tape a towel perhaps then a plastic garage bag???
They are aluminum crutches with foam padding for the tops and handles. I have added a towel and thick piece of deerhide to each of the armpit pads and a thin piece of deerhide to each of the handles.

Hubby cleans and tries to cook - I do supervise and help a little with the cooking.

I can (and do) occasionally sit outside and admire my garden.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain, well sort of. I am crutching around myself, though nothing as severe as your injury. Tripped over my own feet after stepping on my cat's tail, hit the ground like a bag of wet cement and badly sprained my ankle. Alas, such is life. The cats tail was fine. Im splinted and not casted THANK GOD! (you have my utmost sympathy) I can take it off to scratch, and wash it when its gets all skinky. My arms hurt too,
crutches, not bruised though. Tried to put some weight on it yesterday to see what would happen, found out as I hit the ground like a similar bag of wet cement (did not do further damage exept to my pride, let out a torrent of cuss words though that would make a biker blush)
As far as being bored having to sit around, I am pretty much a potato by nature, so this gives me an good excuse to do what I want to do anyhow, sit and surf, sit outside and enjoy the sunshine, well just sit, lol.
I like your cast artwork, Im just all velcro straps so not much room for creativity there, though the cats enjoy rubbing their faces on the bits of velcro sticking out, so I am sort of cat hair fringed, I pick it out occasionally if boredom does set in.
Well I have rambled on long enough and Im off to hobble hop (one bun of steel indeed!) in search of some breakfast, aka a cup of coffee.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

I feel your pain, well sort of. I am crutching around myself, though nothing as severe as your injury. Tripped over my own feet after stepping on my cat's tail, hit the ground like a bag of wet cement and badly sprained my ankle. Alas, such is life. The cats tail was fine. Im splinted and not casted THANK GOD! (you have my utmost sympathy) I can take it off to scratch, and wash it when its gets all skinky. My arms hurt too,
crutches, not bruised though. Tried to put some weight on it yesterday to see what would happen, found out as I hit the ground like a similar bag of wet cement (did not do further damage exept to my pride, let out a torrent of cuss words though that would make a biker blush)
As far as being bored having to sit around, I am pretty much a potato by nature, so this gives me an good excuse to do what I want to do anyhow, sit and surf, sit outside and enjoy the sunshine, well just sit, lol.
I like your cast artwork, Im just all velcro straps so not much room for creativity there, though the cats enjoy rubbing their faces on the bits of velcro sticking out, so I am sort of cat hair fringed, I pick it out occasionally if boredom does set in.
Well I have rambled on long enough and Im off to hobble hop (one bun of steel indeed!) in search of some breakfast, aka a cup of coffee.
I heard on TV yesterday that having a cat is good for your health and blood pressure. Obviously, these scientists are not taking into account your story there. I hope your ankle heals very soon.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely cast decorations!

But you could have let the kitties dip their paws on an ink pad and let them have at.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Lovely cast decorations!

But you could have let the kitties dip their paws on an ink pad and let them have at.
Thanks, so are you offering to come over and clean after my two lovely torites leave their lovely ink covered footprints Everywhere?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Lovely cast decorations!
i like your decorations better than a color, anyway!
are the cats enjoying your presence? or are they like mine - got one that sleeps next to me, the others sleep in other rooms - even when i'm home all day in the summers!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i like your decorations better than a color, anyway!
are the cats enjoying your presence? or are they like mine - got one that sleeps next to me, the others sleep in other rooms - even when i'm home all day in the summers!
Thanks, that sort of thing happens when I get bored and have a handful of Sharpies

My hubby seems to have successfully communicated with the girls. There is not any time during the day that I don't have constant feline supervision. They take turns watching over me. They were both on my lap earlier making sure that I don't go anywhere.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh ouch to the Achilles tendon problems! My Dad tore his skiing, I have no idea how they got that boot off without him passing out. He opted for the surgical repair because he didn't want to be out for the count up to six months. It still took a long time to heal. that all goes as quick as possible and heals well!

With the crutches since you are going to have them pretty long term, as about getting an inexpensive walker. They are so much easier to use. ( except for stairs) My mom had to get one when she broke her ankle, just couldn't do the crutches. ROFL to the Bun of steel.

Your cast is one of the prettiest I have seen. Great drawings it looks very Happy.