Any diabetics in the house (long)

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been sick for quite some time. I don't talk about it but it's to the point that I'm really getting concerned.

About a year ago I went to the ER. while there (it wasn't anything life threatening) they did blood work. They asked me if I had diabetes. I said no, they said "Well you do now". My blood sugar was over 400.

They didn't say another word about it, so I kind of blew it off. But after about 5 months I started noticing 3 or 4 times a week I would wake up feeling hungover, and feel awful that whole day. I stopped drinking years ago. Not because I was an alcoholic or anything, I just hated the way I felt the next day after drinking (ironic isn't it?).

Now, there's been a lot of stress for me lately. I was suddenly laid off at work along with my entire department. I had no idea it was coming. Thankfully I'm a consultant. So i'm use to not being on contract and financially OK for the time being (it's been a couple months). In fact I think I just picked up another big contract that will last a couple years.

Anyway, I was at Wal-mart and for some reason I just thought I'd pick up a glucose meter and test strips. I've never done this before so it's all new to me. For instance, setting the lancet at the deepest level then using the side of my finger was an education in itself. yikes! Then of course I grab my finger from the base and start squishing upward. How was I to know how much you need? Well after a day of this I now know how simple it really is. BUT, I've got a problem. Check out my glucose numbers and tell me what you think?

Waking up: 285
two hours later 335
Before lunch 345
right before dinner 385
hour after dinner 443

Now, this is pretty alarming, no?

Can someone tell me how far those numbers are off? And sometimes when I test i get this blinking message that says 'ketones?' so I assume it's asking if I want to test that, but I don't know how. Think I need different test strips.

Thoughts?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, i dont normaly post around here anymore.
lol mostley case work's software lists TCS as a hate site.
But someone copied your post and showed it to me. SO i hacked the server to post this..

GO TO THE DOCTOR AND DO SO NOW. do not pass go, do not collect $200

your numbers are double what they should be. normal is 80-120 when you wake up. lets not even get into the 300 +
this whole time, the high surger levels, have been causing damange, to your internal organs, nerves etc. You need to see a doc as soon as you can..like call your family doc today.(did i scare you? i hope so)

lol the fact i hacked my company server should tell you i am not joking. diabetes will kill you, and it kills you slow(like a ex-wife)so go this week.
you can live a long and normal life as Diabetic, if you keep it under control.

best of luck....

by the way did i say call your famly doctor ?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is dangerously high. I am diabetic and that is nothing to play with. It should be in the 80-120 range. You need medical attention immediately, or you have a faulty or uncalibrated meter. Take it to your pharmacist and he could help you. If you are conscious, it is probably your meter. Please have this checked, those numbers are waaaaaay too high!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please see someone immediately!!!

And SHAME on those ER Drs for not doing more to follow up on your case! I bet that's why you've been so sick, and probably why you were in the ER in the first place (but I can't say for sure...I'm not you, and I don't have your file).

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you washing your hands before testing? That can bring up higher numbers (I used my father's tester once and his eyes almost bugged out of his head... washed my hands and tried it again and he just laughed... so I guess I'm okay.)

If you are I'd see a doctor, immediately.

Even if you aren't, I'd see a doctor... Feeling hung over for no good reason would be reason enough.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JT - I'm going to echo what everyone else here has said. Yes, way too high. I'm surprised that you didn't pass out. Don't fool with this. I am mildly diabetic and under control. I have a family history and my doc was very aggressive and proactive about it.

Stress makes the disease worse. You need a complete workup and probably medication to at least help your body regulate your glucose levels.

Diabetes is a killer-- it destroys the internal organs... and the tiny blood vessels that serve your eyes, appendages, etc. I have had some very scary moments with my mom with crashing blood sugar.

I am also struggling to lose weight - my doc did tell me that he thought my numbers would normalize if I took off some substantial LBs.

So, again, go see a doctor and let us know how it's going!!

Adrien

PS - I agree. Shame on those ER docs for letting this slip by. This country is undergoing a diabetes epidemic and they were remiss!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another diabetic here -- go NOW! And once your doctor has set you up for meds and a course of diabetes-management education, go back over to that ER and whack those people upside the head for not INSISTING that you go straight to your doctor the next day!

I went with numbers like yours for years, and symptoms like them too. You're going to feel so much better when you start taking proper care of yourself!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah these answeres are juuuuuust about what I figured i'd get. lol damn!

Thanks everyone, I'll get something set up first of next week. I'm sure it'd be near impossible to get an apt this close to the 4th.

As for the calibration question. I'm sure of it. I actually bought two meters. Didn't realize the second one was exactly the same under a different name. I bought strips for both, and it's funny. even though they're the same, you can't use the strips on each one. Only the one that's labeled for it.

I calibrated both, verified the LOT numbers etc.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

yeah these answeres are juuuuuust about what I figured i'd get. lol damn!

Thanks everyone, I'll get something set up first of next week. I'm sure it'd be near impossible to get an apt this close to the 4th.

As for the calibration question. I'm sure of it. I actually bought two meters. Didn't realize the second one was exactly the same under a different name. I bought strips for both, and it's funny. even though they're the same, you can't use the strips on each one. Only the one that's labeled for it.

I calibrated both, verified the LOT numbers etc.
Good luck, hon. We're all here to support you!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call and see if you can possibly get in today or tomorrow - mention the blood levels.
Our diabetics are on a tight protocol, anything over 200 usually requires us to push fluids and recheck in 30 minutes. Over 250 always requires extra insulin.

Elevated blood sugars affect how you think and feel, they damage the heart and kidneys.

As you get back under control with better numbers, be aware that your body as to reset itself as to what is normal. You may feel hungry, tired and generally bad until your body gets used to it.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And one thing about it, with as many of us on TCS who are diabetic, you have a community to fall back on with questions/problems when you have them!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those numbers are way to high. You need to go to the Dr for it. My Dad has Pills for his. I dont wnat to scare you but my Dad has heart and kidney problems also. He had to have a Triple Bypass because of the diabetes. There are two types of diabetes. One you need insulin shots and he other you need pills. My Dad takes pills and has had diabetes since he was 13. My Grandpa had to take the shots. My cousin had it also and died from it when he was in his 40's. I also know alot of other people with it.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also agree with everyone that has told you to get to the Dr. The fact that you don't feel worse than you do is a sign to me that your numbers have been high for a while and your body has adjusted to it-- not a good thing!!!! They should check an A1C level on you when you go and put you on meds. If they don't, question why they are not. Keep posting here-- there are a lot of diabetics on here to talk to. (I am not a diabetic, but I am a nurse and you need to go to the Dr ASAP!)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
it wants you to check ketones [sugar shed in urine] because ketoacidosis coma is a dangerous possibility for diabetics [pass out - hurt yourself - a friend just broke her hip this way]. you can get ketostix at the pharmacy counter. they're not prescription, but that's where they're kept.
also, a low-carb diet can help [or so i've heard] w/controlling diabetes. check your library for the Sugar-Busters book. [or buy it!]

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH DEAR!

I'm glad to hear that you will be getting into a doctor SOON...

I called my husband as SOON as I read your first post because he is a Type 1 Diabetic ( aka Juvanille Diabeties, he was diagnosed at 13 ) and his first responce was "dear god" she needs to get to the doctor now & if shes not on insulin yet... she will be now.

He told me that ketones are dropped from your urine when your blood sugar is high and should be checked. I looked it up to give you info:

Ketones

What are ketones and what causes them?

Ketones are the result of the body burning fat for energy or fuel. For a person with diabetes, ketones are often the result of prolonged high blood sugar. Without the right amount of insulin, glucose starts to build up in the blood stream and doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t enter the cells. The cells burn fat instead of glucose, and ketones form in the blood and spill into the urine.

How do I test for ketones?

There are two ways to test for ketones – by testing your urine or your blood. Ketones appear first in the blood stream and are later present in the urine, so testing your blood for ketones is the best way to check for an early problem.

To check urine for ketones, you must collect a urine sample or dip a ketone test strip into a fresh stream of urine. After waiting for the time suggested by the ketone strip manufacturer, you compare the color strip to the chart on the bottle. The darker the color, the higher the amount of ketones in the urine.

At this time, there are just a few meters on the market that can test for blood ketones. These meters use a small drop of blood to measure the level of ketones and display the result on the meter screen.

What do I do if I have ketones?

If you test positive for ketones, it is important to carefully monitor your blood sugar and keep yourself hydrated. Drink plenty of water and other no-calorie fluids to help flush your system of ketones. Be sure to test your blood sugar every few hours and continue to test for ketones until your results come back negative. It is also important to refrain from exercising if you have ketones, as exercise will usually raise the level of ketones in your body. Spilling trace to moderate levels of ketones can usually be self-treated by closely monitoring and flushing your system. However, spilling large levels of ketones is reason to seek emergency care.

If you are not sure what to do to manage your high blood sugar and flush ketones from your system, you should consult your doctor immediately. The presence of ketones can quickly become a dangerous condition called diabetic ketoacidosis, which is a serious medical emergency, and requires prompt treatment. If you begin vomiting and/or have a high blood sugar that is not coming down despite medication, you should see your doctor immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, due to the responses here I think it's settled. I'm going to get some sleep (been awake all night working on some side jobs) but when i get up I think I'm just going to go to the ER.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Well, due to the responses here I think it's settled. I'm going to get some sleep (been awake all night working on some side jobs) but when i get up I think I'm just going to go to the ER.
good, I was HOPING you would do just that.

Let us know how it goes when you get back

Not to scare ya, but according to my husband... chances are they are going to hospitalize ya

Get your blood sugars under control, get you set up with an endochronologist, you will be educated in 'life with diabeties' and using whatever it is they have you use to control your blood sugars, give you a meter etc etc...

My husband just went through that AGAIN (even tho he went through that when he was 13) he was wisked away via ambulance recently when his sugars shot up and could not get under control and they changed his insulins and he had almost a week stay as he was re-educated in the 'new' advances in diabetic medicine and on his new regime.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband has diabetes also, and I have to say - I am so glad that you have decided to go to the doctor. Blood glucose levels that high are REALLY SERIOUS.

Please let us know how it goes. We are all here to help you and support you.