How do you get rid of gnats?!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are driving me crazy! I can't seem to get them out of here! I rinse all my dishes and don't have food out ANYWHERE!!
We've been cooking out on the grill for the past few days because we just can't stand to be in the kitchen. (we have fly sticky things up already)

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to know also. I don't have a lot of gnats but I kept seeing them here and there. They seem to be attracted to Popsies wet food. I agree, they're annoying.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a small juice glass fill it about 1/2 way with Apple Cider Vinegar, mix in 1 teaspoon of sugar. Add 2 drops of dishwashing liquid, mix well but don't shake. You don't want to make suds.

The soap acts as a surface breaker so the flies can't stand on the water. Instead they land to drink and get stuck and sink.

Just leave the glass uncovered on your kitchen counter. Empty into the toilet and replace the liquid every couple of days as needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Take a small juice glass fill it about 1/2 way with Apple Cider Vinegar, mix in 1 teaspoon of sugar. Add 2 drops of dishwashing liquid, mix well but don't shake. You don't want to make suds.

The soap acts as a surface breaker so the flies can't stand on the water. Instead they land to drink and get stuck and sink.

Just leave the glass uncovered on your kitchen counter. Empty into the toilet and replace the liquid every couple of days as needed.
Thank you! That sounds like it just might work!!!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a variation on the above method - I usually just use a bottle of wine cooler or something with just an inch or so of alcohol left in it. They crawl in and can't get back out and drown.

They might be making a home in your kitchen drain - I've used bleach down the drain before to get rid of them if they're living down there.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for that! i'm going to try it. I can't keep them away! they definitely come in due to the cat food. But they're attracted to the dry food too which is always full.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a couple of different types of gnats that invade like this. The most common is the Fungus gnat which thrives in moist, dark conditions on decomposing materials.
They are attracted to moisture, light, the hue yellow, decomposition of vegetation, as well as sweet smell. With sticky trap treatment place double sided sticky panels low to the ground or at same level as plants mulched and moist. A mixture of soapy, rubbing alcohol spray will kill them as well. 1 tablespoon Ivory dish washing soap, 2 tablespoons rubbing alcohol to 1/2 gallon water and spray infected areas. Also a bait of soapy fruit water or soapy beer in a large container with a small mouth will attract and trap them.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago, pre-kitties, I used to have houseplants and indoor herbs... and all it took was one gnat slipping into the house (well, actually two, I guess
) and taking up residence in my basil to create an infestation. I tried everything, including the vinegar trick, soapy water on the soil surface, letting the pots sit submerged in soapy water for a day, a food-safe pesticide made from chrysanthemums... nothing worked. I finally had to give up and put all my plants out to live on the balcony.

Even then, a dwindling population of the dratted gnats found ways to linger until my furnace broke down for a few days while it was below freezing. By the time I got it fixed, they'd finally been frozen out!

To keep them from coming back, make sure you put all incoming produce into the refrigerator immediately, in case there are gnat eggs on your nanners.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

I've done this before, but without the sugar. I set up a few containers around the house and it really does cut back on the population.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy these hangy thingies from Abell pest control called Vapona. They kill all flying bugs in the house, but they don't harm us or the kitties.

All the flying insects will be dead in hours. They don't come back either. This stuff is AWESOME and gauranteed.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree they may be breeding in your houseplants if you have any. I had to repot all my plants once to get rid of them, washing the roots and leaves thoroughly and using an insecticide in the soil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

I use a variation on the above method - I usually just use a bottle of wine cooler or something with just an inch or so of alcohol left in it. They crawl in and can't get back out and drown.

They might be making a home in your kitchen drain - I've used bleach down the drain before to get rid of them if they're living down there.
I'll have to get some bleach down that drain! They could be in there! Because the sink area is where they mostly hang out!

Originally Posted by jennyranson

I agree they may be breeding in your houseplants if you have any. I had to repot all my plants once to get rid of them, washing the roots and leaves thoroughly and using an insecticide in the soil.
I only have one house plant and it's a purple passion. How do you know if the gnat are on it? It's in another room and I don't have a problem with the gnats in there.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

Maybe mine are coming from my garbage disposal. I usually rinse any uneated cat food down it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Great ideas, folks! Hope this works!!! Gnats are a pain to deal with. Good riddance if you ask me.
I hate them too... they are so annoying - we had them at our last apartment, I'm glad I don't have to deal with them anymore!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that takes care of the indoor gnats, but what about the outside gnats? I live in a part of the country that's infested with buffalo gnats (called that because they're larger than the fungus gnats). They usually affect livestock, especially chickens--completely covering the bird until it actually dies. They are absolutely horrid, we can't sit outside for more than a few minutes without being driven slightly insane by the little buggers. They fly into your eyes and your nose and make you miserable. Mosquito repellents don't work on them, citronella candles don't deter them.
I don't know if any other parts of the country have the same problem, but I'd love a solution. I can't even garden or bar-b-q anymore!