Sisters sometimes get along, other times not so much

amante

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I posted sometime ago about 9 month old sister cats wrestling/playing with each other and I got some helpful answers but I wanted to ask about some other tips.

Usually the two girls get along but every now and then there seems to be a big fight and usually it is the same one being the aggressor. This sometimes results in one cat cowering down and running away.

We think that, like kids, one cat wants to play with the other but the other cat doesn't want to play at the moment. The reaction is of course negative from the cat who does want to play. Other times the two will run after each other and play just fine with no problems.

We have taken the steps of isolating the two, putting the aggressor into a room that is less appealing than the rest of the apartment but this has so far only led to temporary relief.

I have read many conflicting things saying that one should isolate the aggressor, one should not isolate the aggressor, one should spray/not spray the aggressor, etc.

It is most likely a territorial issue and, because cats are territorial by nature, there is not much we can do about that. We plan to take them to the vet in the next week or so but I wanted to see if our ideas of one cat trying to play and the other get annoyed might be correct. Like I said, they get along fine for the most part but every now and then one acts out.

They have been here for a little over a month now so perhaps there is still a battle for territory but I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure out all the possibilities so we can take the right steps.

Sorry for the semi-same post but I figured the behaviors were a little different than the post before so it warranted a new post.

Thank you for your help.

- Confused new cat owners

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
probably trying to sort out the 'pecking order'. as long as there's no blood or injuries, i pretty much let mine hash it out amongst themselves [unless one is at a majorly unfair disadvantage - like when Firefox was still teeny].

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amante

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all.

Those were the answers I was hoping to hear. I think we just end up feeling bad for the cat being picked on so we get a little soft on her and then angry at the other. But there has never been fur flying or blood or anything. Just batting, hissing, and the occasional angry yowl. It sounds like, for the most part, we have been doing things right though which I am happy about.

Thanks again.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by amante

But there has never been fur flying or blood or anything. Just batting, hissing, and the occasional angry yowl.
That's normal
As long as their no fur flying or blood.

My Sophie's like that with Jack my youngest. He wants to play and she doesn't even though she's only 4 years old. He often gets a bop on the head from her along with a hearty hiss, but he just runs off to play with Rosie instead

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few Feliway plug ins can help soften the mood too. I use them and they work for most part.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your thread title made me laugh because it sounds like me and my (human) sisters!