What food?

jeff532003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 month old kitty that we love very much and I have been feeding science diet scince we got him but he doesn't really like to many of the flavors so I decided to see what other flavors may be available online and was suprised to see that it was really not a good food. I have been researching other foods and have come down to two top choices. Avoderm is kind of on top right now and also eagle pack holistic. I saw on this forum that wellness is also highly used but I also read some cats don't really like it.
So Im wondering of the brands mentioned what do you recomened and why?
Avoderm also has a large selection which I like. Thanks for any replies in advance
Jeff

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never have fed those 2 brands you mentioned to my cat before... but all I can say is, try to avoid ingredients that has grains in it. ( Avoderm & Eagle Pack does have grains included in the ingredients list )

Wellness is a good brand and I recommend that you should try it. Sure, some cats might not like it, but that doesn't mean that yours will not like it either, right? Another brand I would recommend is Nature's Variety Instinct ( canned cat food ) They're also really good. If you're looking for dry food... I recommend Evo & Orijen ( I'm currently feeding my kitten this brand )

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I rotate foods in an attempt to keep from having picky eaters and in case they need to change foods for health or other reasons. I have two 8 month olds orphaned from 1 week old and 4 ferals that are enjoying the inside life. Nutrition is very important to me because the orphans have weaker immune systems and the ferals are difficult to get to vet. Gotta stay healthy!

Canned is fed exclusively to the 8 month olds, using dry as treats. The ferals get canned twice a day and free feed dry. Canned: Wellness grain free, PetGuard turkey/rice, Natural Instinct, Evangers chicken, Eagle Pack chicken/lamb, Lick your Chops turkey, Merricks paw lickin chicken
Dry: Orijen(grain free), Taste of the Wild (grain free), Pinnacle Breeders Choice (low carb, no grain) California Chicken and Rice (simple food everybody loves) Want to try Diamond Active Chicken and Rice. Most of these are all stage foods so no kitten formula is needed.

Lots of good food to try. Some companies will send you samples to try. A few sites will let you order single cans to try. Good luck in finding what works for your baby.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You want to find one with MEAT ( Named meat ie chicken preferabley in a meal form in a dry )..

Avoderm is a solid dry ... IMHO is it too grainy and contains too much corn
Select Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Ground Whole Corn, Corn Gluten Meal an okay ingrediant in a dry food as either will aid in UTI health BUT IMHO too high and not both in one formula , Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Ground Whole Brown Rice fine but yet another grain, Ground Whole Wheatfine though an KNOWN allergen and puts the grains to three, Herring Meal, Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Dried Chicken Liver, Dried Brewers Yeast, Dried Chicory Root, Avocado Oil, Avocado Meal, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine Supplement, Lecithin, Dried Yucca Schidigera, DL-Methionine, Dried Kelp, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Niacin, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Biotin, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Polysaccharide Complex, Manganese Polysaccharide Complex, Iron Polysaccharide Complex, Copper Polysaccharide Complex, Cobalt Polysaccharide Complex, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.
http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_p...tkittendry.htm

Regular Wellness is just as grainy ... Core is GRAIN free and Yes some do not like it or it does not like them....

Do you know how to do a search?>??

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ighlight=foods
lots of info ... not all from a no grain group or a by products are good or simple is best just basic reasons why they feed

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats really like Avoderm (wet), and it's better than SOME foods, so I kind of rotate between Avoderm and Wellness. IMO it's important that they eat some kind of premium wet, even if there are grains (as long as they are not allergic.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeff532003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not seeing grain in the Avoderm we formula ingredient list unless they are calling it something I don't recognize.
The eagle pack holistic does have rolled oats so I guess I will avoid that one for now. Thanks for all the info guys.
AvoDerm Natural Select Cuts Sardine, Shrimp & Crab Meat Canned Cat Food
3 oz. - 1 Case of 24
SKU: 654868
Sardine, Fish Broth, Shrimp, Crab Meat, Sunflower Oil, Guar Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Iron Sulphate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Vitamin B2 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid

AvoDerm Natural Select Cuts Chicken Chunks Canned Cat Food
3 oz. - 1 Case of 24
SKU: 654876
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Vitamin B2 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid

AvoDerm Natural Select Cuts Tuna & Crab Meat Canned Cat Food
3 oz. - 1 Case of 24
SKU: 654884
Tuna, Tuna Broth, Crab Meat, Sunflower Oil, Guar Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Tourine, Iron Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Vitamin B2 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Carrageenan

AvoDerm Natural Select Cuts Sardine, Shrimp & Crab Meat Canned Cat Food
3 oz. - 1 Case of 24
SKU: 654868
Crude Protein (min) 10%
Crude Fat (min) 2%
Crude Fiber (max) 1%
Moisture (max) 83%

3 oz. - 1 Case of 24
Crude Protein (min) 8%
Crude Fat (min) 2%
Crude Fiber (max) 1%
Moisture (max) 82%

AvoDerm Natural Select Cuts Tuna & Crab Meat Canned Cat Food
3 oz. - 1 Case of 24
SKU: 654884
Crude Protein (min) 10%
Crude Fat (min) 2%
Crude Fiber (max) 1%
Moisture (max) 83%
Feeding guidelines provided with product.

jeff532003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am seeing many different flavors of Wellness now. I had only seen one kind at first which turned me away from them. I do beleive I will give them a try now that I see all the different kinds that they have and also I can pick up single cans now at petco to try them out which is a bonus not having to buy a whole case. Thanks again for all the info guys

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 oz. - 1 Case of 24
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Vitamin B2 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid
Riley also eats these Select Cuts Chicken Chunks. This is his current favorite.
For dry food he eats a mix of Orijen grain free and California Natural Chicken and Rice.

Canned food he gets tired of, so I'm always rotating and trying new brands and flavors. His current rotation is Wellness, Chicken Soup, Avoderm, Nutro MaxCat and Authority (petsmart brand).

In the past (and probably in the future as well, since he changes brands every few months!) he has had Evo, Nature's Variety Instinct (grain free), Natural Balance, Merrick and several others.

Not all cats will like all foods. You need to find the best quality food that your cat will eat. I believe Sheba is not a complete food, so you wouldn't want to feed that as a sole diet.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I not too long ago transisitioned my kitties to 'Taste of the Wild' which is a 'grain free' dry food, They love it, they are doing great on it, I decided to add some moisture in the AM to offer abit of Wet, yesterday I bought 8... yes 8 (5.5 oz) cans of Wellness Beef & Chicken Canned & My 2 boys who will eat ANYTHING... would NOT touch it
Yuki who will eat only select few beef canned items, I was not surprised by the fact she rejected it.

So here I sit with 7 cans.... poor decision on my part to buy that many.

Good ol' trash day last night... took the reciept away *sigh*

Taste of the Wild is a great dry... for us anyway... Wellness wet didnt work for US.

Good luck with your decision.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least one of my kittens (sometimes both) has enjoyed every Wellness wet flavor we have tried so far. We have only tried the grain frees, including Chicken, Turkey, Beef and Chicken, Chicken and Herring, and Turkey and Salmon. I will probably try more! They also liked EVO wet, but were so-so on Eagle Pack wet.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

At least one of my kittens (sometimes both) has enjoyed every Wellness wet flavor we have tried so far. We have only tried the grain frees, including Chicken, Turkey, Beef and Chicken, Chicken and Herring, and Turkey and Salmon. I will probably try more! They also liked EVO wet, but were so-so on Eagle Pack wet.
Too bad you're not closer, I'd give you the 7 Cans of Beef and Chicken Grain Free that I have, that my kitties wont eat

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lore

Too bad you're not closer, I'd give you the 7 Cans of Beef and Chicken Grain Free that I have, that my kitties wont eat

take 'em back & get store credit towards something else!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

take 'em back & get store credit towards something else!
I just hate to do that when I dont have the reciept

It makes me feel like I am doing something wrong...

LOL!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lore

I just hate to do that when I dont have the reciept

It makes me feel like I am doing something wrong...

LOL!
they won't mind, 'cause you'll still be spending $$$ w/them.
i've done this - most stores wouldn't give a refund w/o a receipt, but are glad to give store credit for return of items they sell - sometimes even if you didn't buy it there!
then, get ONE can of several different types/brands of food to try out.

jeff532003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all for your help I picked up some Wellness tonight and he ate more than I have ever seen him eat so we will try a few more flavors and I think we have a winner!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's wrong with Science Diet? I always thought that was a good brand, one of the best. Even the vet recommends it.

Also meant to ask, why no grains?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

What's wrong with Science Diet? I always thought that was a good brand, one of the best. Even the vet recommends it.

Also meant to ask, why no grains?
SD is not a bad food, just quite overpriced [imo] for the quality. you can get better or equivalent quality food for less money.

grains - cats are obligate carnivores, & don't process grains efficiently. less grain in foods means smaller, less odiferous stools. also, many cats have intolerances or allergies to grains - wheat is a biggie for a lot of them.