Yikes! Face absess. (photos)

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I went away for 4 days, the day I left kismet had a scratch on her face right by her mouth. It looks like she rubbed her face against something sharp. I didn't think much of it but I've come back and it's turned into a huge open wound!

It doesn't look infected.......... I *think* she just keeps rubbing it with her paw making it worst, so I've trimmed her claws but I don't think it will help.

I don't know if this is vet worthy, or *shudder* cone worthy, or if there is something else I can give her or put on it to help it get better.

Let me know what you think....... any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks really inflamed... If you have the least little bit concerned... go to the vet.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would probably take her to the vet but I am really paranoid about the kittys. I always take the better safe than sorry route with them. It does look really inflamed.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a vet visit is in order. It could be a garden variety abscess, which would need antibiotics. The other thing that comes to mind is eosinophilic granuloma complex (sometimes called rodent ulcer.) This is treated with steroids. I would have it checked out, especially since she seems to be bothered by it enough to paw at it.

Here's a quick link that describes eosinophilic granuloma complex http://www.marvistavet.com/html/eosi...granuloma.html

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course it's vet worthy... You should bring her to vet now! Or at least as soon as possible...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will make her an appointment this week I guess. It doesn't really seem to be bothering her. She just is an obsessive face cleaner, so that's what I think is upsetting it. It is a holiday here today and I def. do not think this is emergency vet worthy, i do have a cone I thinK I'll leave on her overnight.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I think a vet visit is in order. It could be a garden variety abscess, which would need antibiotics. The other thing that comes to mind is eosinophilic granuloma complex (sometimes called rodent ulcer.) This is treated with steroids. I would have it checked out, especially since she seems to be bothered by it enough to paw at it.

Here's a quick link that describes eosinophilic granuloma complex http://www.marvistavet.com/html/eosi...granuloma.html
Thanks for the link. I'll mention that to the vet!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Pixel gets little sores on her face from her herpes. but she had several & they weren't as large as that one.
she also got some on her front paws.
all dried up & went away w/lysine therapy.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This happened to my cat last summer and she needed emergency surgery. It looked the same and had that scabby spot because she pawed at it. Please go see a vet immediately! Your cat must be uncomfortable right now. If it's an abscess, then it is filled with pus and must be drained.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

This happened to my cat last summer and she needed emergency surgery. It looked the same and had that scabby spot because she pawed at it. Please go see a vet immediately! Your cat must be uncomfortable right now. If it's an abscess, then it is filled with pus and must be drained.
ok, abscess is probably the wrong word. It is just a rub spot where the hair is gone. a sore I guess. Again, it's a holiday here, and she is perfectly content, eating, drinking, playing, cuddling, so I feel no need to rush her to the emergency vet. I will call tomorrow and see if they think she needs to come in.

Just out of curiousity.....what did your cat need surgery for?

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing some research. I think she has a hot spot, which means a steroid injection should clear it up, and cleaning....... maybe the dreaded cone.

Anybody have experience with hot spots?

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and make an appointment this week. Online it says all you can really do is clean clean clean it, and some polysporin, also try to keep her from rubbing it (obviously)

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

My cat needed surgery because she has an abscess on her face after my other cat bit her cheek. It actually looked like a golf ball on the side of her face. Plus, there were scabby wounds when she tried to itch it. The surgery was necessary in order to drain the pus.

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

ok, abscess is probably the wrong word. It is just a rub spot where the hair is gone. a sore I guess. Again, it's a holiday here, and she is perfectly content, eating, drinking, playing, cuddling, so I feel no need to rush her to the emergency vet. I will call tomorrow and see if they think she needs to come in.

Every answer you get on this forum will be "call or take her to the vet". You will get a lot of good info here but the vet will be the ultimate answer. I would try an E- collar for a couple of days and keep an antibiotic cream on it. From your pictures I see no need to see vet at this point. It does not appear to be infected. The only thing they will do for you that you can't, is maybe give her an antibiotic. I don't see the need for that yet. They will send her home with an E- collar and tell you to keep it clean and probably recommend an antibiotic cream. You can do all that yourself and save a few $$

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've been doing some research. I think she has a hot spot, which means a steroid injection should clear it up, and cleaning....... maybe the dreaded cone.

Anybody have experience with hot spots?

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and make an appointment this week. Online it says all you can really do is clean clean clean it, and some polysporin, also try to keep her from rubbing it (obviously)
I have a lot of experience with hot spots. Keeping it clean is a must. Shaving the hair around the wound helps a lot. (use clippers) The only way to keep them (dogs or cats) from making them worse is to keep an E-collar on them. Hot spots spread in size VERY fast. Once they get out of hand, antibiotics are about the only way to help them heal. Occasionally prednisone (sp) for the itching and inflammation.

From your photos I think you can keep it under control having her wear an E- collar. Be persistent, as much as she will hate the thing you have to keep her from scratching at it.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Kismet! She is one of my secret special kitties of TCS.

I am wondering if maybe she got bit by some kind of bug. That happened to my Conan. It didn't form an abcess, but the tissue started to die. It didn't stink nor did it look infected. However Conan was in a lot of pain. I had taken him to the vet and they didn't think anything of it. Two days later he had to have emergency surgery and almost lost his leg. The removed a chunk of muscle and a large section of skin. Then he had to have hydrotherapy twice a day for 15 minutes for three weeks until the wound healed He still has a bald spot there.

I don't think this is what is happening to Kismet, but something to watch for.

I would be doing just what Just1cat said, e-collar and neosporin on it to keep from getting infected . I would also be taking rectal temps to help judge if there is an early infection. If her temp is up, then I would take her to the vet for antibiotics.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by just1cat

I have a lot of experience with hot spots. Keeping it clean is a must. Shaving the hair around the wound helps a lot. (use clippers) The only way to keep them (dogs or cats) from making them worse is to keep an E-collar on them. Hot spots spread in size VERY fast. Once they get out of hand, antibiotics are about the only way to help them heal. Occasionally prednisone (sp) for the itching and inflammation.

From your photos I think you can keep it under control having her wear an E- collar. Be persistent, as much as she will hate the thing you have to keep her from scratching at it.
THanks. I called the vet and they suprisingly didn't reccomend I come in. Basically said scrub it a couple times a day with cold water, and keep a cone on her as much as possible. I've been doing this and it hasn't gotten any worse, and the skin is no longer pink, it's white. So all good things. I'll keep it up and keep a close eye on her. No swelling, and suprisingly for a 'hot spot' it isn't even really warm..... so just keep thinking about her and I'm sure this will be OK

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

Poor Kismet! She is one of my secret special kitties of TCS.
thanks
you must remember poor kismets story, and you can imagine how weary we both are about going to a vet after those 4 months. SHe gets tremours in the car and violently ill because of it, so I avoid it as much as possible. Also her temp is normal

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to add another cat adventure.....my Max had what looked like a scratch under his eye....he scratched at it because it must have bothered him. Well....the hair and skin disappeared...He didn't seem to be in pain....but I did take him to the Vet...and the Vet called it a calculus (I'm spelling it how it sounded). Max had to wear a collar for 2 days...and I believe the Vet gave him a shot of antibiotic.....and it cleared right up.

He, being 11 months old at the time, and his big 'sister' Phoebe, being 7 yrs at the time...did still get into some scraps. I figured Phoebe swatted Max and her nail scratched him. BTW..both totally indoor cats.

My rule of thumb re: Vet visits.....if it's nagging at me.....take them in......they can't talk...they don't even complain if they're sick.

Good luck with your kitty!!