foot cramps

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do any of you get foot cramps? When I do, it's usually in the middle of the night and I have to literally jump out of bed to stop it. Poor Oliver! He usually gets knocked out of bed in the process.

Anyways, I know that many times the cause is lack of some kind of nutrition: potassium, vitamin E, calcium... In my case, I figured out that if I wear my really ugly shoes, I have less chance of getting cramps. My feet are really flat and I do better with a particular type of arch support.

So, my dad gets them too and he gave me some advice that I thought I'd pass on. Vinegar. Yup - I couldn't believe it, but it works right away. I sipped a couple spoonfuls of pickle juice because straight vinegar makes my throat close up, but it worked! Within minutes the cramp subsided to where it was just affecting my toes.

Prior to that it started in the bottom of my foot, 2 toes, my ancle, my shin and my calf and then proceeded to start on the other foot. I had to bend my knees just to get my ankle to bend. I tried stretching in every position possible and all I was doing was making it worse.

The first time I tried this it worked, but I thought that it was just a coincidence. Now I know it really works.

Now if I can just find some pretty shoes that support my feet right...

strakatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have suffered from cramps for many years and went to the people vet who said potassium deficiency. The best thing for me is to jump up and walk around. on occasion tho I have to jump in the tub and turn the water on full hot. The cramp just melts away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Strakatz

I have suffered from cramps for many years and went to the people vet who said potassium deficiency. The best thing for me is to jump up and walk around. on occasion tho I have to jump in the tub and turn the water on full hot. The cramp just melts away.
I always walk around and you are right - Hot water has helped, but there were times that it didn't at all. The pickle juice was amazing!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was getting horrid pains, including in my feet and I wake up crying it was so bad.

Eventually I got a referral to a pain clinic and the doctor did a whole battery of tests. She found that my Vitamin D levels were almost completely depleated, which was the cause of my pain. Without Vitamin D my body couldn't absorb the calcium either, which lead me to breaking my foot so easily when I fainted.

I was started on high dose Vitamin D for 6 months and am on a daily dose of 1000 IU or the rest of my life. I noticed an improvement in the pain/cramping within a few weeks and now after 18 months I'm almost pain free.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I was getting horrid pains, including in my feet and I wake up crying it was so bad.

Eventually I got a referral to a pain clinic and the doctor did a whole battery of tests. She found that my Vitamin D levels were almost completely depleated, which was the cause of my pain. Without Vitamin D my body couldn't absorb the calcium either, which lead me to breaking my foot so easily when I fainted.

I was started on high dose Vitamin D for 6 months and am on a daily dose of 1000 IU or the rest of my life. I noticed an improvement in the pain/cramping within a few weeks and now after 18 months I'm almost pain free.
I'm glad you got it figured out. I haven't been to the doctor. My "ugly shoe" treatment seems to work, but that's not saying its not also a nutritional issue.

strakatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Do either of you have flat feet?
No I don't. Dang message was to short. Now it's longer

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO much, Renee! My mom has been suffering from foot cramps for years. She tried potassium, vitamin E and other supplements but they didn't make the foot cramps stop. I can't wait to tell her about this!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ConsumerKitty

Thank you SO much, Renee! My mom has been suffering from foot cramps for years. She tried potassium, vitamin E and other supplements but they didn't make the foot cramps stop. I can't wait to tell her about this!
I hope it works as well for her! I literally keep the pickle jar in the easiest access spot I can find in the fridge so I can get to it ASAP.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started getting what I "think" is Restless Leg Syndrome in my left leg. Two weeks ago, i'd wake up every night for at least 2 hours, feeling like there was a hand inside my left calf pulling my muscle. It wasn't a leg cramp, though. So I read where potassium helps. Well, I ate a banana a day every day last week and it stopped. I hope it stays that way!
Now if I could only stop talking in my sleep....

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always gotten very bad foot cramps that start in my arch, cause my toes to curl or overlap each other, and eventually go up to my calfs. I've been taking potassium and that has helped but hasn't completely gotten rid of them. They mainly cramp up when my feet are tired (from high heels or lots of walking) or when they are cold. I'm definitely going to try the vinager/pickle juice idea. Darn, and I just threw away a jar of pickle juice the other day.

Another thing I've found that helps, especially in winter, is wearing socks to bed. I also use a lemon-eucapyptus foot lotion I get at the dollar store for $1.00. I put that on before bed and put socks on, and the lotion keeps my feet warm and relaxed which keeps them from cramping up. Also, it makes your feet so soft and smell so good!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I occasionally get foot cramps, but am more prone to forearm cramps. Usually it happens whenever I get too cold. I have been chronically low in potassium and do take a supplement, but think I get them due to poor circulation.

I'll pass on the vinegar or pickle juice remedy, I'd only end up sick.

I believe it's suppose to be apple cider vinegar that is helpful - for those who wish to try it.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get awful foot cramps in the middle of the night. I tried bananas for potassium. It worked a little.