Bathing a 7 week old? Important or no?

spookshowbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I've just got my first foster kitten, Tilly, from the local animal shelter.
Tilly is (aprox.) 7 weeks old, weaned and still a little on the feral side and has fairly long hair. She had been with her mother up untill weaning (they didn't mention what happened to her mother). I'm going to have her for the next two weeks. The co-ordinator at the shelter didn't mention anything about cleaning her, but I'm starting to feel a bit worried that it's too much of a job for her to wash her self alone. I noticed one or two small mats in her fur. I have seen her wash her face, so she does know how to do it, but she seems to have stains from food etc.

I've never bathed a cat and don't want to make her unnecessarily nervous, but I don't want the mats or dirt to get out of hand while she's with me. I don't know if I should just let her alone to learn how to wash herself...
If somebody could give me some advice on whether I should groom her myself or not, I'd be very grateful!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give her a full blown bath right now. There is too much going on with the move and being seperated from mom. Maybe get some cat wipes and just wipe her down good. Make sure you comb those mats out now before they get out of control. And especially before getting them wet!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when I had babies around with no mom I used a warm moist washcloth to help them out.
Actually we did that after every bottle/weaning feeding to help teach them to lick themselves (and clean up the messy babies).
They don't mind it, just make sure you're gentle and the water is warm, cuz no one likes a cold bath!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably agree the easiest thing for her would be a warm wash rag.

Although, when I brought Stuart home, 8 weeks old, I gave him a bath. Someone had dumped him at my granny's farm and figured he could fend for himself.
He looked NASTY he had mats, burrs, ticks, ear mites. Just awful. He did just fine with the bath.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SpookshowBaby

but I don't want the mats or dirt to get out of hand while she's with me
You can't wash a cat that has mats, it will only make it worse. Try to gently ease the mats with your fingers and a comb.To groom her you'll need a comb, brushes don't work on long haired cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spookshowbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice!
Thankfully Tilly seems to be managing on her own now as the food stains were gone completely within two days (sly thing must only be washing properly when I'm out of the room!)
I bought a small animal brush set and all the mats are gone.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good, I was thinking it might be traumatizing for her to get a bath. They are preety good at cleaning their own fur. Truth is if they had been left outside, Mom might have left her to fend for herself by now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spookshowbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeeeaahh, I was thinking she was a bit old for a bath myself, but I've never had a long-haired cat that young before and I knew they can be more high maintenance.