TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Kitty having trouble breathing, peeing on blanket..angry?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kitty having trouble breathing, peeing on blanket..angry?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Grandma was staying over so the kitties were confined to a few rooms of the house. Our male kitten was acting strange, and I figured he was just mad he didn't have free roam. He peed twice on the sleeping bag on the floor and has been very "blah". I noticed today he seemed to be breathing heavier, noting alarming but different then usual. I figured this was all because he was mad but I got to thinking maybe he fell off the bed or S/O rolled on him while sleeping? That seems more likely since he's not really a jumper/miscevious like his sister.

I also thought a hair ball possibily...but its been days..he looks like hes going to puke something up but it could be him breathing. Any advice?
post #2 of 20
GET to the VET
post #3 of 20
Go to the vet now.
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
GET to the VET
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
Go to the vet now.
doesn't sound good...
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
The vets are closed. I really donn't know what they would do. Hes about 4 months what could have possibily happend?
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover618 View Post
The vets are closed. I really donn't know what they would do. Hes about 4 months what could have possibily happend?
where are you? most places have e-vets.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
where are you? most places have e-vets.
yes there are, I used to work in one. they really dont do much but b.s you. I'm very leary about taking him there esp after how they dimissed another kitten I had found and she wound up being very sick
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover618 View Post
yes there are, I used to work in one. they really dont do much but b.s you. I'm very leary about taking him there esp after how they dimissed another kitten I had found and she wound up being very sick
no other choices?
it's just that, while the peeing could be behavioral, the rapid breathing most likely isn't.
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
I took him to the vet. The took an xray of his chest turns out he has pnemounia...Since there is no real test for it the Dr. said he could possibly have FIP. He could have also caught it from being neutered way too young as most shelters do to get as many kittens out as possible. I know they were fostered with several other kittens. I called BOTH women who we were incontact with at the rescuse center we got them form with no answer or call back from either. I know they will be at petsmart tomorrow and I plan on going there. I have only had them for 13 days. The vet didnt seem to promising. He gave me anti biotics and said I can bring him to a Specialized center and incubate him which could cost thousands to run tests etc. I just had a kitten pass on that I had found in the street. I'm so upset. My other kitten is doind fine however.
post #10 of 20
i'm glad you went to the vet & got him some treatment.
never heard of early neutering causing pneumonia tho sending & that your baby make it thru this & live a long & happy life w/you!
post #11 of 20
I hope your kitty gets better!
Cuddles also made sounds like he was trying to puke when he first aspirated. I thought he ate too fast and was going to throw some of it up, but he never did.
He's resting somewhat comfortably now, but he still has very rapid and choppy breathing. The vet on medhelp.com said that it can take weeks or months for the body to get rid of the crud in the lungs. She suggested an expectorant. (I don't know if you read my post there.) When I take Cuddles back to the vet on Thursday, I'm going to ask about an expectorant. I'm also going to use a humidifier tonight.

Good luck with your baby!
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
Update:
It was suspected he could have FIP due to no other factors and sudden pneoumonia. He's been on clavamox now for a few days. He's eating some chicken baby food and I chopped up some turkey for him which he gobbles up and meow's at me for. He's been walking aorund up and down the stairs, he even jumps on the bed. His breathing is still heavy though and is not the crazy kitten I had a few weeks ago.

I've been reading there is no real way to tell if he has FIP other then if he pass on. I'm not sure what to do if I have to make a desicion. The woman @ the adoption agency had said to me living the way he is permenantly is no life. I dunno im very sad
post #13 of 20
I was told my Yoshi and fip and Kidney Stones. They said he would live 6 months to 2 years. He lasted 8 months before I had to have him pts. I hope your Cat feels better.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover618 View Post
Update:
It was suspected he could have FIP due to no other factors and sudden pneoumonia. He's been on clavamox now for a few days. He's eating some chicken baby food and I chopped up some turkey for him which he gobbles up and meow's at me for. He's been walking aorund up and down the stairs, he even jumps on the bed. His breathing is still heavy though and is not the crazy kitten I had a few weeks ago.

I've been reading there is no real way to tell if he has FIP other then if he pass on. I'm not sure what to do if I have to make a desicion. The woman @ the adoption agency had said to me living the way he is permenantly is no life. I dunno im very sad

FIP is a horrible thing. I lost a cat to it some years ago. It came on very suddenly and we spent a week, a lot of vet trips, and a lot of money and we couldn't save him.

However, before you put him down, be aware, FIP is frequently misdiagnosed. In fact, from what I've read, it's one of the most frequently misdiagnosed feline diseases because it can mimic other things and vice versa. If he's actually improving on medicine, he may have a chance. My niece has a "teenager" kitten who she almost lost to something -- the vet initially suspected FIP, but on steriods and antibiotics and some pretty intensive treatment, he threw it off and is now a healthy young cat. However it was touch and go for almost a week - he didn't throw it off very quickly. So just some things to consider.

Sending good your way....

Karen
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover618 View Post
Update:
It was suspected he could have FIP due to no other factors and sudden pneoumonia. He's been on clavamox now for a few days. He's eating some chicken baby food and I chopped up some turkey for him which he gobbles up and meow's at me for. He's been walking aorund up and down the stairs, he even jumps on the bed. His breathing is still heavy though and is not the crazy kitten I had a few weeks ago.

I've been reading there is no real way to tell if he has FIP other then if he pass on. I'm not sure what to do if I have to make a desicion. The woman @ the adoption agency had said to me living the way he is permenantly is no life. I dunno im very sad
Give the kitten some time to recuperate from his cold and then see. I think it's a very good sign that he is eating and fairly active.

Make sure he has easy access to the litter box. If you have a small one that would be great since it would make it a lot easier for the kitten to clamber in and out of. Sometimes kittens have difficulty getting in and out of the regular adult sized ones.

I don't want to discourage you, but I had a kitten who died of FIPS 3 years ago. Some signs to look for are:

What was his coat like when you got him? Rough and dry or plush?
Was he very scrawny? i.e. could you see his ribs?

When you play with him does he tire easily? (but again see how he is after the cold)

If he suddenly loses his appetite and stops eating that is not good.

If he sleeps excessively and when he wakes up if he's all wobbly and his eyes are groggy looking like he's been drugged that's not good.

Be careful of too many unnecessary tests. You want to put him through as little stress as possible because if he does have FIPS, stress will only make it worse. I agree with Karen that steroids and antibiotics might help him greatly if it is discovered he has the FIPS.

The best thing to do right now is to continue treating him for the cold and just pamper him and shower him with love and don't give up hope!
post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanynne View Post
Give the kitten some time to recuperate from his cold and then see. I think it's a very good sign that he is eating and fairly active.

Make sure he has easy access to the litter box. If you have a small one that would be great since it would make it a lot easier for the kitten to clamber in and out of. Sometimes kittens have difficulty getting in and out of the regular adult sized ones.

I don't want to discourage you, but I had a kitten who died of FIPS 3 years ago. Some signs to look for are:

What was his coat like when you got him? Rough and dry or plush?
Was he very scrawny? i.e. could you see his ribs?

When you play with him does he tire easily? (but again see how he is after the cold)

If he suddenly loses his appetite and stops eating that is not good.

If he sleeps excessively and when he wakes up if he's all wobbly and his eyes are groggy looking like he's been drugged that's not good.

Be careful of too many unnecessary tests. You want to put him through as little stress as possible because if he does have FIPS, stress will only make it worse. I agree with Karen that steroids and antibiotics might help him greatly if it is discovered he has the FIPS.

The best thing to do right now is to continue treating him for the cold and just pamper him and shower him with love and don't give up hope!

He was CRAZY when we got him...a real fiesty trouble maker...and in about 3 days this happend.

Sadly....I woke up this morning and he ws staring at me for a long time. Not breahting heavy but looking at me...I walked upstairs with me to the bathroom, walked in front of me and started making the most g-d awful meows, choking, he fell over and had a seziure and past away this morning....it was absolutely horrid. We brought him to the vet, they took the fluid out of his lungs to determine what it was and by looking at it he said a definite FIP (without acutually sending out his organs).

post #17 of 20
How terrible for him to die like that. So sorry he died.
post #18 of 20
i'm glad you got a few more days w/him... and that he's no longer suffering. to you during this painful time...
post #19 of 20
I am *so* sorry Kittylover

FIPS is truly a horrid disease, it can happen so quickly! At least your baby spent his last days with you knowing he was loved and wanted. I lived through the same heartache with my little Shadow. Once he was diagnosed, within a few days he was gone My heart goes out to you Kittylover


*hugs*
post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thank you all

RIP Sawyer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Kitty having trouble breathing, peeing on blanket..angry?