multiple litter boxes

casienjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will be moving back home with my parents soon, and I'm trying to figure out how to handle the litter box situation. I will be moving from a small apartment to a 4 bedroom, 2 story home. I have heard 2 different things: 1, the cat should have a litter box on each floor, and 2, the cat should never have more than one place to go or she may get confused and think anywhere is okay. Does anyone have experience with this? What do you recommend?

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Multiple litter boxes are best. Especially if there's a chance the cat may accidently get locked in a room (Hennessy gets shut upstairs if the wind blows the doors shut).

He also likes using the one in the hall to poo and the one in the bedroom to pee.

I'd think having them here and there would be especially important if the cat is young and may have problems 'holding' it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One on every floor. Total # should be 1 more box than there are cats in the house. Never put the boxes all right next to each other, some cats won't use them then.

Better have too many boxes to start than not enough & have a LB issue develop.

danits_24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, well, if your parents home is very big, more then one litter box will be recommended, but because the house has 2 stories, I think that even one litter box will be fine, just make sure to place it in an accessible place and show your cat where you put it. I haven't heard that having more then one litter box may cause a cat to think he can do his wastes any where he wants.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by casienjoy

I will be moving back home with my parents soon, and I'm trying to figure out how to handle the litter box situation. I will be moving from a small apartment to a 4 bedroom, 2 story home. I have heard 2 different things: 1, the cat should have a litter box on each floor, and 2, the cat should never have more than one place to go or she may get confused and think anywhere is okay. Does anyone have experience with this? What do you recommend?
I have three floors and two litter boxes for two cats.
They aren't confused.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
When I first took in Oliver I was in a studio apartment in college and only had 1 litter box... I moved back in with my parents after graduation (darn student loans!) and set up one box in my room on the second floor and one in the basement and Oliver's not confused at all and never was... I showed him where both were and there's never been a problem

He prefers to poo in the basement (when he has access - he's only in my room at night so he will poo there) and pee in my room