Lion cut?

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to take Griffin in for a lion cut. I recruited DH to help me over the last week to get Griffin's belly cleaned up, and it was just mat after mat. We got most of them clipped out, but there are still a few left. At first I was thinking of just having his belly shaved, but I think the lion cut would really help me deal with his stud tail problem too. I figure if I have him shaved, I can use a rubber brush every day to get him used to being groomed in all those areas he doesn't care for, before there is actually hair there that needs attention. Then I will hopefully be able to let him keep his full coat after it grows back in, with the exception of sanitary trims so he is able to keep his bum clean.

In clipping out all these mats, I've also realized that he needs to be bathed regularly to keep his skin clean. He just has so much hair that he is not able to keep himself well-groomed, and I found that his hair and skin are pretty dirty once you really dig into his fur and look closely. I think having him clipped would make it a lot easier initially to get him used to regualr baths, too.

Giving him a lion cut makes me sad, though, because he has such pretty hair!!! :cry: I know it will grow back, but I feel so guilty that I have to do this basically because I was unprepared for the amount of grooming he requires and I didn't get him used to it from the time he was a baby.

Do you all think a lion cut is the way to go?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of the lion cut but that is personal choice. I'd think twice about letting them shave the tail though. Sometimes it never grows back the same. I've gone with the belly and butt shave before (when I didn't know as much about grooming). That was ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I'd think twice about letting them shave the tail though. Sometimes it never grows back the same.
Really? The tail shaving was the main reason I decided to go with the full lion cut, because Griffin has such nasty stud tail issues. Do you really think it might not grow back??

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it will grow back, but most likely not the SAME. Zorro had to have surgery on the base of his tail, and the vet shaved about half of his tail. Now, a year later, it is all grown back, but you can still see the line where it was shaved up to, as the new hair never became as thick or full, it also seems to lay a bit different.....But for me, I'm just glad he was okay, and the hair grew back so people don't make fun of him anymore
poor guy was awfully ashamed of his tail

On a different note--sanitary trim? Would this be trimming down the hair around the butt? My girl Sasha has thicker and longer hair, and has difficulty keeping herself clean. Could anyone tell me more about this? I might want to consider it for her.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ferris appears to be LOVING his new lion cut - he literally ROMPS when he used to lumber, LOL!

I had no idea that his gorgeous plume tail might not grow back in the same as it was before!

They did leave a great big poofie on the end, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

In the meantime, Ferris is having fun, prancing around as freely and as energetically as his short-haired bengal buddies.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our Pixie Bobs got a lion cut a few months ago. For some reason, her fur got matted and I could not get it out. She loved her lion cut. She seemed shy at first, but after a week, she would show off her adorable new look. Her fur is growing back nicely, including the tail

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kernil

On a different note--sanitary trim? Would this be trimming down the hair around the butt? My girl Sasha has thicker and longer hair, and has difficulty keeping herself clean. Could anyone tell me more about this? I might want to consider it for her.
I trimmed the hair around Griffin's butt myself several months ago. Not shaved, just trimmed with scissors to about an inch long. His hair in that area was so long that poo would get stuck in it, and he could not get through all the hair to his bum to keep it clean. :ick: Keeping the hair trimmed has solved that problem.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, now I'm starting to reconsider a bit. Griffin has an appt for a lion cut on Thursday, but I'm thinking about changing that to a bath, belly shave, and sanitary trim. I'm hoping that maybe the groomer could do a better job of getting that stud tail area cleaned up than I've been able to. I think I will try this first, and if it doesn't work out than I'll consider doing a lion cut the next time around. What do you all think?

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a diff POV. My bella had to have surgery on her back sides twice, and they shaved her all they way up to her front arm pits, then they had to shave her later on for a really infected wound, they shaved her sides & back, only the lower half.... after all of that shaving her fur looks like a hair dye gone wrong. My siamese mix now looks sorta like a cailco... her fur grew back 10 shades darker and her coat is never going to be a beautiful as it was. I guess it woun't have been nearly as drastic if they hadn't shaved her so many times in such little time frame.

But I cannot say even with this knowedge, that I wouldn't have a cat shaved.... if I were in your shoes right now... I would be leaning towards a cut. Mats are painful, and comfort wins over vanity every time. I hope the groom works, and he doesn't get matted anymore, good luck!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI Any kind of shave or trim will not resolve a stud tail. Only regular bathing will help and then of course, a neuter!

Not a fan of lion cuts myself, I only believe lion cuts should be medically merited ... Ferris excluded!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

Okay, now I'm starting to reconsider a bit. Griffin has an appt for a lion cut on Thursday, but I'm thinking about changing that to a bath, belly shave, and sanitary trim. I'm hoping that maybe the groomer could do a better job of getting that stud tail area cleaned up than I've been able to. I think I will try this first, and if it doesn't work out than I'll consider doing a lion cut the next time around. What do you all think?
I think it's a good idea. Ask the groomer to use a degreaser or Goop on him. You'll have better results that will last a bit longer.

Maxx got completely shaved before I adopted him and his tail has never gotten as fluffy/fanned out as it should be. It may be different for those who have shorter haired cats but for the longer haired ones it is a huge risk.

Pixie Bob... Tail? I thought they didn't have much of a tail?
They are lovely cats.

Sorry it takes me awhile to respond... I'm in the middle of moving!

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

FYI Any kind of shave or trim will not resolve a stud tail. Only regular bathing will help and then of course, a neuter!
I didn't expect shaving to resolve the stud tail; I just figured it would be a lot easier to keep clean without 5 inches of fur! Griffin is already neutered. Weirdly enough, both of my boys developed stud tail after their neuters.

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll let you know how it goes at the groomer tomorrow.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just thought I'd give you an update. Griffin went to the groomer yesterday, and he got his belly and bum clipped, and his armpits and groin shaved. He also got a bath, and he is looking beautiful! The groomer said he was a very well-behaved kitty, too.
I think he'll be much more comfortable now, and I'll have a much easier time maintaining his coat. Thanks for all your advice!