i don't think it'll be too long now...

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
till tigger goes to the bridge...yes, i know the doctor didn't promise us long...but i was hoping he'd surprise us...maybe he still will, maybe i'm wrong...but i don't have a good feeling.
the swelling is starting again despite the medication...i hear raspy, struggling breaths more and more throughout the day. he doesn't seem to be in pain, maybe a little annoyed as i would imagine a tumor in the sinus area would make it feel like trying to breathe through a congested nose.
i just have to vent...i'm not too sure how well i can handle another death so soon, and his will be much more of an impact because he has been around since childhood for me..seventeen years is a long time.
here is the latest pic of him in the new room..i have promised myself to take many, many more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Can you not take him to the vet?. I'd hate to think he was suffering because cats are very good at hiding pain
we have. they say there's not too much we can do besides the meds as it is inoperable. just have to let it take its course and bring him in when it's "that time".

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tink80

we have. they say there's not too much we can do besides the meds as it is inoperable. just have to let it take its course and bring him in when it's "that time".
I think she meant about taking him to the vet and assisting him to the Rainbow Bridge because based on your description he is have difficulty now and cats are masters at hiding the true extent of their pain and illness until it's very advanced. It's quite possible that he's in a great deal of pain, but not showing it outwardly.

Making the decision is so hard, but we do what we need to in order to keep our babies comfortable.

Lots of vibes for you and sweet Tigger

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
awww the poor sweetie maybe it's time to think about being PTS he might be in more pain than he lets on like the others said?

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mer636

awww the poor sweetie maybe it's time to think about being PTS he might be in more pain than he lets on like the others said?
well, they estimated he had about six months left about three months ago (when i took him in b/c my mom was not treating him well..long story). he sounds better today, more on and off. i am all for making babies comfortable and putting them down when it is time. i just don't want to jump the gun or make any rash decisions as he still seem so full of life despite the raspiness. i just know they said it would burst and it would be a quick, painless death and he wouldn't know what hit him. so i'm just thinking it might be getting to that point. three months ago the meds worked miracles. it's just been the last three days or so, not this whole time where i can hear his breathing. my mom was going to put him down before i got him but the vet said there was no reason to as he was not suffering and that his face would just be a little deformed..she thought he should be put down because he'd be "embarassed" about his appearance and that's when i stepped in. i put his comfort first and believe me i've thought about it but i'm just not satisfied yet that it is "for sure" and i won't be pressured into it.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i just know they said it would burst and it would be a quick, painless death and he wouldn't know what hit him.
Oh my goodness, i just couldn't wait for that to happen

i won't be pressured into it.
No ones putting pressure on you. At the end of the day it's your decision, but i know if it was me i would be asking for the vets opinion again seeing as things have changed.

My eldest brother was given 2 years when he had cancer, he died after 5 months, so it doesn't mean that they'll survive the full time they've been given before it's time to end their suffering

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Oh my goodness, i just couldn't wait for that to happen

No ones putting pressure on you. At the end of the day it's your decision, but i know if it was me i would be asking for the vets opinion again seeing as things have changed.
Absolutely.

My emotions are a bit raw on this subject now as I buried my father yesterday, but my one comfort is that he died a quick, painless, unexpected death instead of the slow, miserable decline it would have been.

Please consult with the vet.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Absolutely.

My emotions are a bit raw on this subject now as I buried my father yesterday, but my one comfort is that he died a quick, painless, unexpected death instead of the slow, miserable decline it would have been.

Please consult with the vet.
well, nobody tells me what to do. i have to follow my heart. i've worked in the veterinary field and i know animals pretty well as i've had many come an go my whole life. he is declining medically but he is not miserable. i just said the swelling is up and the breathing is raspy from time to time. it actually improved the last two days except for the swelling with me raising the dosage. he is purring, head butting, cuddling, eating, sleeping, and going to the bathroom fine. he's not in pain. the meds are taking care of that. i'm just saying that medically i don't think it'll be long before either he passes or his quality of life goes down to when i have to put him down at the vet. what it comes down to is i am his mommy, i spend all day with him, and i know what's best. i've had twenty years of experience and do rescues all the time. but i don't have to explain that to you. i was looking for some compassion and venting...not assumptions. yes you are wanting what's best for the cat and that's why all the assumptions i'm not handling correctly and you are worrying. i just take offense because i have so much experience and i don't feel i should have to justify..guess i was hoping for posts like "i know what you mean", "sending you prayers/vibes", "you'll know or he'll tell you when it's time", "we'll be here for you to talk when the time comes", etc. think i'll just stick to posting cute pictures on this forum.. *rolls eyes*

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Old cats are so hard to know for sure what to do with. I sympathize with you. Snoopy went from apparently fairly healthy to having to be PTS in just over a week. Kidney failure. We tried everything just to make it a few more days, and finally decided all we were succeeding in doing was making him miserable. Truman wasn't old, but he'd been ill (saddle thrombosis) for over a month. We had him at the vet, and he just kind of gave up. And Wickett's throat tumor was just making him absolutely miserable. He'd given us so much love over the years, we hated to let him go, but the vet said the best she could offer was a few more weeks. Every one of them hurts, and I think we did all we could for every one of them. It's just almost impossible to know when you've crossed the line from helping them all you can, to actually hurting them. No one can tell you; the best you can hope for is an understanding vet who can give you honest advice.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

well, nobody tells me what to do. i have to follow my heart. i've worked in the veterinary field and i know animals pretty well as i've had many come an go my whole life. he is declining medically but he is not miserable. i just said the swelling is up and the breathing is raspy from time to time. it actually improved the last two days except for the swelling with me raising the dosage. he is purring, head butting, cuddling, eating, sleeping, and going to the bathroom fine. he's not in pain. the meds are taking care of that. i'm just saying that medically i don't think it'll be long before either he passes or his quality of life goes down to when i have to put him down at the vet. what it comes down to is i am his mommy, i spend all day with him, and i know what's best. i've had twenty years of experience and do rescues all the time. but i don't have to explain that to you. i was looking for some compassion and venting...not assumptions. yes you are wanting what's best for the cat and that's why all the assumptions i'm not handling correctly and you are worrying. i just take offense because i have so much experience and i don't feel i should have to justify..guess i was hoping for posts like "i know what you mean", "sending you prayers/vibes", "you'll know or he'll tell you when it's time", "we'll be here for you to talk when the time comes", etc. think i'll just stick to posting cute pictures on this forum.. *rolls eyes*
I think folks are really just trying to help you instead of just "saying" what you want to hear. I was also under the impression for some reason that you were about the same age as my daughter which would hardly be old enough to have 20 years of experience so perhaps the others thought you were younger also. Your posts also indicated a "younger person" to me so I guess it goes to show how wrong our perceptions can be.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been where you are, far too many times. I believe that when you have a connection with your fur babies they will let you know when it is time. Being the mom it is hard to make a choice one way or the other. We have lost them on thier own and having to put them down, it sucks one way or the other. We got so much criticism when our Cocker Spaniel was dying of stomach cancer cause we didn't put her down. We even took her in one night thinking we would have to let her go but it was so evident, even to our vet that she just plain was not ready to go. We came up with a plan that kept her comfortable for several more weeks until the time was right.You know your baby best. Good luck, prayers and best wishes.

twokatz

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am sorry that things aren't looking good for your little man, you will know when it is time. I am also sorry you felt you were being judged, I lost a cat on Mon and was judged both before and after by someone off another forum, and it makes things so much harder. Just remember that we dont know him, you do, and you will do what is right by him. You will be in my thoughts, i know how difficult these times are, trying to judge when is the right time.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twokatz

I have been where you are, far too many times. I believe that when you have a connection with your fur babies they will let you know when it is time. Being the mom it is hard to make a choice one way or the other. We have lost them on thier own and having to put them down, it sucks one way or the other. We got so much criticism when our Cocker Spaniel was dying of stomach cancer cause we didn't put her down. We even took her in one night thinking we would have to let her go but it was so evident, even to our vet that she just plain was not ready to go. We came up with a plan that kept her comfortable for several more weeks until the time was right.You know your baby best. Good luck, prayers and best wishes.

twokatz
thank you, your post meant a lot to me. you described pretty much everything i am going through right now. it's nice to know someone can relate.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

i am sorry that things aren't looking good for your little man, you will know when it is time. I am also sorry you felt you were being judged, I lost a cat on Mon and was judged both before and after by someone off another forum, and it makes things so much harder. Just remember that we dont know him, you do, and you will do what is right by him. You will be in my thoughts, i know how difficult these times are, trying to judge when is the right time.
thank you for commenting even though you must being going through your own grief yourself. i'm sorry for your loss. *hugs*

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
there wasn't any intent on my part to offend and if I did i'm sorry I was just trying to say that i'm sorry you're going through this and the poor baby hopefully feels at ease until he's more comfortable to let go and I wasn't trying to pressure you into anything? I was just making a suggestion
it's your cat and ofcourse you have the best judgement with him since he is yours and you live with him

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are going through this with a cat you have loved for so long.
I have always been told by my vet that if they are eating then you are okay. If he is playing then he is ok for now. I am sure the others meant no harm. I also understand you are hurting a lot right now.
I can only think of my babies and in 15 years how it feel. It would feel horrible.

Good luck.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am horribly sorry your cat is going through this, but I must admit that I find this response to be a bit puzzling ... frankly, you have many people here who have all been suggesting a loving, compassionate alternative for a cat they don't even know and while it may not be what you ~want~ to do, it shows that there are people who CARE. I would think that you would be thrilled that so many took the time from their busy days to even post a response to your plight at all! No one here was trying to tell you what to do or how to take care of the cat you know best - I think that was your own personal feelings getting in the way of what you are reading. Personally, I think you need to take a step back and re-examine your feelings towards these people ... and pass along the sincere apology they deserve from you.

That all now being said, I sincerely hope your cat will spend his last days in comfort and that he will pass peacefully as seems to be your wish for him. When the time comes for you to make the decision, I know you will do so with a loving mind and compassionate heart. It is hard to know exactly when that time comes, but for me, it was when I realized that I no longer possessed the capability to appropriately care for my cat ... I would have needed to turn my home into a kitty-care intensive care unit and I knew that couldn't happen in the ways it needed to. So, I made the decision to euthanise. It hurt, I won't lie. But it also was comforting to me to know that no matter what, my girl was no longer suffering and in pain, even though she didn't ~look~ or ~act~ like she was in pain while still alive. I knew she was.

Continued best of luck with this matter. it can't be easy for either you or your cat.