Peeing on floor or not... how to tell???

shw104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have two indoor house cats... both female, fixed, healthy, 5 and 6 years old respectfully. No major issues or behavior problems.

Have a two story house with a finished basement/family room. The cat's litterboxes and food are in the basement... they spend a lot of time down there.. we rarely do.. it is their domain..... it smells clean... and does not smell like cat/cat pee..

this evening... found a plastic bag on the floor in the basement that had a pool of pee in it.... this was the first time i've seen this so on a hunch.... i turned off the lights and checked the entire floor w/a black lights..looking for other pee spots... found a lot of other spots that appeared to be pee w/a blacklight... however... they did not smell like cat pee or anything really at all... my experience has been if a cat pees on the carpet.. you will smell it... could these spots be something else?? my cats do get furballs from time to time and one has a touchy stomach and throws up from time to time.... could it be this??

the carpet is 3 years old.. and they are the only animals in the house....

thanks..
Scott

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i would think you would smell it. i can smell pee on damp, rainy days, because the feral toms mark the outside of my back door.
pretty sure that's what i smell, because of the fact it's ONLY on damp or rainy days when i smell it.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I find plastic with pee on it, I put my fingers in it and try to feel for crystals. sorry, just me.

Might very well be pee. I like having my litter boxes in a tiny alcove right next to the kitchen. I count my pees and poos every day.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will know if it is urine, it has a very pungent, ammonia like smell and will discolor wood floors and carpets. Vomit will leave a caked residue..........