People you don't like

weathercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anybody have a friend who you really like but you just can't stand thier significant other? I do. And yesterday I found out that my friends wife is now pregnant. I don't know why but it just made me sick! I was really happy for my friend because he seemed so happy but I just really don't like his wife. She is so selfish and so whiney and seemes to care more about her job than him. I think the only reason she got pregnant was because he was getting tired of waiting, they had been together for 10 years. Anyway, anybody have any similar stories and/or advice on how I can get past this? Thanks.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
adore my bf's dad his mum..not so much
she's mean to me a lot of the time for no reason so yeah

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH has a friend who dated this girl I couldn't stand. She was so annoying and DH always wanted to go do stuff with them. Then I found out the girl had always had a crush on DH and then I really didn't like her.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by weathercat

Does anybody have a friend who you really like but you just can't stand thier significant other? I do.
I sure do! My friend Wendy is married to a real controlling jerk who puts her down constantly. My brother met the guy once and told me later that he wanted to punch him in the face for the way he was talking to and treating my friend.

But my friend won't leave him because according to her she has too many years of her life invested "in him", plus she is deeply religious and believes that marriage is "forever".

So while I can't stand him, I do love her, so I bite my tongue when I'm around him. She knows how I feel about him because everyone she knows, including her family, feels the same way. Even my friend admits that she made a mistake marrying him, but yet she won't leave him.

There have been times where I've spent the whole day with my friend, her husband and 2 kids. I can tell you that I've honed my acting ability when around him to Oscar winning material. Outwardly you would think I really like the guy, but basically I just accepted the fact that my friend loves him, won't leave him, and that ultimately it's really none of my business and at the end of the day it's her that is going home with him.

All I can do is be a good friend to her. So I've been there for her when he hit her, or has given her the silent treatment for weeks at a time. I even helped her cover up an affair that she was having with a mutual friend, by allowing the 2 of them to use my apartment to meet, or me as a cover story if they went out somewhere. All in the hopes that she would ditch her husband.

So the only thing you can do is to just be a good friend, and bite your tongue when you are around his SO and try and get along with her even if you don't mean it in your heart.

Also, be warned that the worse thing you can do is talk badly about her to him. You have to remember that he loves this girl and for whatever reason has chosen to be with her. If there is a choice to make if you and she do not get along, you can bet that he will choose her.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a friend who has a BIL that sounds just Natalie's friend's husband. Seriously, everyone who meets this guy hates him!! He is so awful, it astounds me that he managed to ever get married in the first place. Just amazing.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 of our oldest and dearest friends have married women that we begged them not to. 1 of them married 2 crazy women, the other is on wife number 5, fortunately he finally found one worth keeping, a great gal. He told her he had to check with us before marrying her, and if said no, he really was not going to. My husband was best man at their recent wedding. I think our friend has finally gotten his happily ever after.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband's best friend and his wife are, well, very pretentious and are often condescending to me (not so much to my husband). We have different beliefs (and by that I mean we're all Christians, but different areas of Christianity) and they automatically assume that DH and I agree with some of their...ideals.

But, to keep DH happy and to let him keep his friend, I keep my mouth shut. I have, however, told DH that if it ever gets to the point where they are insulting (as they have done in the past), that he's going to have a loud-mouthed wife on his hands, lol. I don't always avoid confrontation, and he knows it. DH is passive-aggressive to a fault. :/

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I absolutely cannot stand the store manager where I work! He is a total jerk and on a huge power trip! I don't like one of the managers under him either. It is hard to respect them because they do not show anyone else any respect.

My store manager has told me that I cannot park my vehicle (a dodge ram truck) on HIS lot because he is a chevy man and it is HIS lot (I DO park on the lot).

I work in fast food, and I am a sandwich maker. When I told the grill person that I needed meat, the store manager said that sounds like a personal problem.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The gal who is going to take PJ & Punky to sharky with me is dating a guy that's, IMO, a dirtbag. He bought a purebred yellow lab. She's a hunting dog, therefore kept in a 6x6 kennel 24/7. No treats, cuz that would "ruin" her training. Doesn't have time to walk her or play with her. No shots, wouldn't dream of spaying her in a million years.

Basically, bought a dog to hunt with in the fall, otherwise he just feeds/waters her & that's it. Hope she dumps him soon.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

The gal who is going to take PJ & Punky to sharky with me is dating a guy that's, IMO, a dirtbag. He bought a purebred yellow lab. She's a hunting dog, therefore kept in a 6x6 kennel 24/7. No treats, cuz that would "ruin" her training. Doesn't have time to walk her or play with her. No shots, wouldn't dream of spaying her in a million years.

Basically, bought a dog to hunt with in the fall, otherwise he just feeds/waters her & that's it. Hope she dumps him soon.
and takes the dog!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is only one person who I really can't stand, and of course, has to be family doesn't it
I once handled it by really trying to get to know the person, by being nice, but the person is really mean and used my kindness for weakness and said mean things to hurt my feelings. I did decide not to communicate anymore unless forced. Now I handle it by avoidance, which really isn't healthy. But to assert my true feelings and stand up for myself, might be more unhealthy for everyone involved. To keep the peace I just turn my cheek and play ignore when I can, be mock polite when forced, that type of thing. Don't know how long this can go on.
My significant other knows my feelings, actually, many people in my family do on one side only though.
Oh well, I am not alone I see