My Vegetarian Quest

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few months ago I decided to start eating a vegetarian diet at home largely because meat is just too expensive and I can't afford to buy it anymore. Buying meat just eats up too much of my already stretched food budget.

I've actually been enjoying eating vegetarian.

I'm not strict. I eat eggs, drink millk and because Chynna needs tuna juice to take her daily pill, I also eat canned tuna. But that is the extent of my "meat" eating at home.

When I go out I will order meat. The other day I had chinese food and had lemon chicken and sweet and sour pork. I the last few weeks I've also had a hamburger at A&W and a Sweet Onion Chicken Teriaky sub at Subway.

My brother and his girl friend are coming to dinner on Monday. Neither are vegetarians, and she is diabetic so she needs to have a proper protein in her diet.

I was going to make BBQ ribs but they are really costly and beyond my budget. I happen to have 2 pounds of ground beef still in my freezer from a few months ago, so I decided I am going to make my scruptious meat loaf that everyone loves so much.

Now normally I would be drooling over the thought of making and eating this meat loaf, but I can tell you that it's doing absolutely nothing for me right now.

In fact I think I'm going to go back to Safeway on Monday morning and pick myself up some veggie nuggets or something, to have for dinner while they have meat loaf, lol

And I am going to send the left over meat loaf home with them.

I'm not strict vegetarian, and I still eat meat, so I can't figure out why I'm shunning at cooking it and eating it at home, when I do have meat here.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many people seem to find it hard to quit eating meat, since you don't really have much of a choice I think it's great you're finding it so easy.

I've been vegetarian for such a long time, I don't even remember what meat tastes like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Many people seem to find it hard to quit eating meat, since you don't really have much of a choice I think it's great you're finding it so easy.

I've been vegetarian for such a long time, I don't even remember what meat tastes like.
The thing is that I still enjoy meat. I have no problem eating it when I'm out. I just find it strange that when my brother and his girl friend are coming for dinner on Monday and I'm making ione of my favourite meat dishes, that I have no desire to eat it and instead I'm planning on what I can make for myself that is vegetarian

Yet if I were at his house and he cooked it, I'd eat it, LOL

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the same way... I love meat, really... but I rarely eat it at home... I just bought some chicken today... only because someone at work had some leftovers for lunch that smelled distinctly of curry... so my mind went in the direction of curry chicken and rice... hence the chicken.

I tried going 'consciously' vegetarian, but found myself craving the things I was keeping myself from... so I just chose to 'expand my horizons' and try non-meat dishes without restricting myself... I find I'm going that way, with the same exceptions you have, eating out, occasional splurges, guests coming over... there's an Asian BBQ place here that kills me every time i pass it... and they don't have a veggie option... chicken, pork or beef, that's it. I eat meat maybe once or twice a week... not much more...

As for the cravings/no cravings thing... I find i can skip the burgers... I'll do a cheeseburger about once a month from a local organic fast food place... but that's the extent of it... but I don't have the extreme cravings... I enjoy what I'm doing now... I also love scrambling up some eggs, with milk, thank you... coffee MUST have milk... non dairy creamer tastes different to me.

Good for you... and have fun with it. Try new stuff.

I love experimenting with veggies and stuff in the kitchen... it really expands my ideas of cooking. In fact, I now love squash (beyond zucchini) and am finding ways to tolerate (even like) brussels sprouts... balsamic vinegar helps... its fun though... really.

A.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boca, I think...has a few items I REALLY like. I have purchased the sausage links, and also some veggie patties that were ginger and teriyaki flavored. What I love about both of those is that there is so much protein in them. I'm on weight watchers and those things really help satisfy me!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Boca, I think...has a few items I REALLY like. I have purchased the sausage links, and also some veggie patties that were ginger and teriyaki flavored. What I love about both of those is that there is so much protein in them. I'm on weight watchers and those things really help satisfy me!
I made some veggie burgers a while ago that had red pepper, onion, lentils, cashews, sunflower seeds, bread crumbs, I added some egg white to bind it, spices, sesame seed oil, worchestershire sauce.

I baked them in the oven until done. I couldn't believe how filling one was. They're too dry to have on a bun like a hamburger, so I served it next to a salad and with some rice. I couldn't finish the whole thing. Next time I make them I'm going to make them smaller and maybe make 10 burgers instead of the 6 the recipe said it made.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I made some veggie burgers a while ago that had red pepper, onion, lentils, cashews, sunflower seeds, bread crumbs, I added some egg white to bind it, spices, sesame seed oil, worchestershire sauce.

I baked them in the oven until done. I couldn't believe how filling one was. They're too dry to have on a bun like a hamburger, so I served it next to a salad and with some rice. I couldn't finish the whole thing. Next time I make them I'm going to make them smaller and maybe make 10 burgers instead of the 6 the recipe said it made.
Wow that sounds really good. And probably a lot less expensive than the ones at Safeway.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Wow that sounds really good. And probably a lot less expensive than the ones at Safeway.
The ones at Safeway are tastey, but they look and feel like rubber, and I had to have 2 of them in order to feel like I ate something, LOL

I don't know how they get them so moist though. Mine would be perfect if they had more moisture.

Here is the recipe. I found it online but I doctored it up with stuff I used from other veggie burger recipes. I figured once I had the basics of what is the "meat" I can add what I want like I do when I make them with ground beef.

The Best of All Veggie Burgers

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 15 oz. can garbanzo or black beans (I like garbanzo best)
1/4 cup each grated onion and red or yellow pepper, drained on paper towels
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon each of dried red pepper, cumin, coriander, chili powder
1 teaspoon each of oregano and basil
1 tablespoon parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup each coarsely chopped cashews, sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon sesame oil (best flavor) or other oil
wax paper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until texture is course but blended well. You may need to add a little water so the texture is just moist enough to be able to blend in the food processor. You can let this sit to blend for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator, or use immediately.

Place a large piece of wax paper on a cutting board. Scoop out about 1/2 cup servings into the wax paper for a total of 5 patties. Shape into patties. Dust with corn flour lightly.

Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray. Put the cookie sheet on top of the patties, and, holding both together, invert the cutting board and remove. Lift off the wax paper and your burgers should all hold their shape nicely and not stick. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes. Garnish as desired and enjoy!! These burgers have a great flavor, a nutty texture, are loaded with protein, and this recipe really works!! You can freeze them in Ziploc bags for quick meals on the go too.

Serves: 5

Preparation time: 40 minutes

And here is another.

For the cooked grain I used Basmati Rice. I found these ones very tastey but very dry.

Lentil Burgers

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 cup lentils
3 cup water
1 cup cooked grain or ww flour
2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 teaspoon gr coriander
1 teaspoon tamari soy sauce
1 small onion chopped (optional)
3 tablespoon butter or oil (Optional) (The recipe calls for this... but I don't use it, and don't miss it)

I also added minced red pepper too.

Directions:

Cook Lentils in water for 45 minutes, until soft. Add remaining ingred. (except butter) to the cooked lentils. The burger dough should be stiff. Add more ww flour or grain if it is too sticky to form into patties. Wet hands, and form into 1/4 thick patties. Fry patties on both sides in melted butter until crisp, or bake on a well-oiled cookie sheet @ 350 degrees for approx 30 min or until a crust forms. Makes 8-10 burgers. ( I use non-stick spray, and fry them in a skillet).

And like I said, I mixed and matched ingredients from one recipe to another in order to give variety. But since they are "veggie", I have been using onion and red pepper in each one. And also adding egg white as a binder.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

3 tablespoon butter or oil (Optional) (The recipe calls for this... but I don't use it, and don't miss it)
but if i were trying to make them moister, i would use it. that may be why they were a bit too dry. 3 tablespoons for 6 servings is 1/2 tablespoon per serving...only 60 calories.
if you stretched it to 10, then it'd be 36 calories per serving.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

but if i were trying to make them moister, i would use it. that may be why they were a bit too dry. 3 tablespoons for 6 servings is 1/2 tablespoon per serving...only 60 calories.
if you stretched it to 10, then it'd be 36 calories per serving.
The oil is to fry the patties, not to mix into the mixture. I baked the patties so I didn't use the oil/butter.

Besides 1/2 tablespoon is 1 1/2 teaspoons and when it comes to fat that is an entire day's serving and then some. I try to follow a cardiac diet which means lower salt and lower fat.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find eggwhites useless for binding, couldnt you use the whole egg?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I find eggwhites useless for binding, couldnt you use the whole egg?
I try to stay away from egg yolks due to the cholesterol.

The whites bind it fine. The burgers are just dry and I don't know how to add more moisture to them. I tried water and of course it evaporates in the oven. I'll check with the dietician at the gym to see what she suggests to use for adding moisture. I don't want to use fat because that is defeating the purpose of low fat cooking.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How about tomato paste? I usually add it to any lentil recipe. Tomato puree works, too, but is better for "meat loaf" than patties. You can cut the cooking time if you use red lentils, too, as they're done in 10 minutes.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

How about tomato paste? I usually add it to any lentil recipe. Tomato puree works, too, but is better for "meat loaf" than patties. You can cut the cooking time if you use red lentils, too, as they're done in 10 minutes.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll try that. Plus it will add some extra flavour to the burgers and it's low sodium too.

Another thing I was thinking is to steam them instead of baking them openly in the oven. Steaming would cook them and keep the moisture.

I also just thought about adding a bit of cheddar. I can't have a lot of cheese because I'm lactose intolerant, but maybe even a 1/4 cup to the recipe would help with the moisture problem, and also help to bind it too.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A few months ago I decided to start eating a vegetarian diet at home largely because meat is just too expensive and I can't afford to buy it anymore.
When I go out I will order meat. The other day I had chinese food and had lemon chicken and sweet and sour pork. I the last few weeks I've also had a hamburger at A&W and a Sweet Onion Chicken Teriaky sub at Subway.
I'm not strict vegetarian, and I still eat meat, so I can't figure out why I'm shunning at cooking it and eating it at home, when I do have meat here.
I can't figure it out either. You have been eating quite a lot of products that are not vegetarian weekly. The title is misleading, lol, you don't sound like you have been on any vegetarian quest either, just doing something to save money rather but you will still eat meat frequently when outside of the home.

Wait, I do have one thought, many vegetarian foods are better for you than normal food, esp the fast foods you listed above. Many vegetarian foods are packed full of more vitamins, minerals, trace minerals, and other "living" things. Maybe your body is adjusting to this and responding. I crave fruits and veggies. Daily I must have them and would rather eat them than other things that are much easier to obtain and cheaper. Sometimes I will go the grocery store for lunch when I forget to bring mine to work and just pick up a salad and a fruit. I have fresh fruit and dried fruit and nuts at work and for snacks. I do love fried foods but I rarely eat these things. Why? I feel better when I eat better. These things do have a direct effect on your body, it is common sense and also has been proven.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I can't figure it out either. You have been eating quite a lot of products that are not vegetarian weekly. The title is misleading, lol, you don't sound like you have been on any vegetarian quest either, just doing something to save money rather but you will still eat meat frequently when outside of the home.
I never claimed to be "vegetarian". I only stated that I have been eating a mostly vegetarian diet (save for milk, yogurt and tuna) at home. So I have mislead no one

When I get back to work and can afford to buy meat products again, I may or may not go back to buying and eating meat at home. Depends on how I feel at that time.

I still like meat, I have just stopped buying it and cooking it at home because of finances. Now when I do have the chance to cook some meat at home and eat it, I find myself not wanting to do so, which I find strange because I still do like meat.

Anyway, I don't expect you to understand. It's an odd situation

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I never claimed to be "vegetarian". I only stated that I have been eating a mostly vegetarian diet (save for milk, yogurt and tuna) at home. So I have mislead no one

When I get back to work and can afford to buy meat products again, I may or may not go back to buying and eating meat at home. Depends on how I feel at that time.

I still like meat, I have just stopped buying it and cooking it at home because of finances. Now when I do have the chance to cook some meat at home and eat it, I find myself not wanting to do so, which I find strange because I still do like meat.
Hey there, I think I figured it out maybe, at least some of it, if you read the rest. What do ya think? That maybe your body is adjusting and responding and craving real fresh veg foods instead? Somewhat like the person that stops drinking soda, even though they feel it is a gift from above, then a few weeks later they will have a sip and it bites and tastes awful

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you are doing (well, were??
) this just based on price, if you are concerned about $ only, eating out and not eating meat at those places you listed would have also saved you some dollars. Chinese places have some great veg and rice or veg and noodle dishes for good prices. Subway has a veg sandwich too that can be very yummy.