I cut my cat! what should I do?

emilyasweetie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was cutting a mat off of my cat today and I cut his skin. It isn't bleeding, but some skin was cut off, it looks pretty bad. When i touch it, I can tell he feels the pain...I am afraid it will get infected. what should I do with it? can I use some Virkon on that area?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I would call the Vet.
just ask them what's safe to put on it.
i'm not familiar w/Virkon - is it an antibiotic ointment?

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Virkon is a surface disinfectant. I copy/pasted below from site. I don't think a cleaning chemical would be the thing to use. Your vet needs to instruct you as to what is safe for your animal.

http://www.americanisolationroom.com/virkon.htm

"Virkon Is widely used as a high level disinfectant for all surfaces in laboratories, dental care and surgeries, for decontaminating laundry, for centrifugal gas analyzers, or air disinfection, in food processing, food transport and storage markets, in supermarkets, and in the entire institutional field."
"Virkon can safely and efficiently be used as a cleaner and disinfectant in the office or home. You can wash infected clothes in your washing machine with Virkon. It cleans all types of surfaces: woods, metals, plastics, fabrics, etc. Apply dry Virkon directly on contaminated liquid spills."

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
then definitely not!
do you have access to an antibiotic ointment, something like neosporin? i've had the vet give me that for my kits before.
i'd be a bit worried about ingestion, tho - that's why i'd double check that it was ok, first.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always put some Betadine (antiseptic) on strays when they hurt themselves for superficial wounds... just to clean the space

surface disinfectants are out of the question as they can be toxic to the cats

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ronit

surface disinfectants are out of the question as they can be toxic to the cats
Right- I hope this Virkon stuff is not your "go-to" antiseptic for first aid on anyone!