Nikita wants a BIG water dish to drink from

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was getting slightly worried because Nikita was turning her nose at her water a fair bit and wasn't drinking quite enough.

I mean she wasn't dehydrated but she was drinking less than she had been.

So I tried a few options and ended up dragging out a smallish empty fishtank I had lying around.

Yeah..

She's spoiled.

So now her main water container is that fishtank on the floor with around 1cm of water or so in it.

She always now digs in the water before drinking (why? I have no idea) and has happily started drinking more again so the whole thing is a success.

The tank is big enough so that she can stand in it and dig around and pick exactly where she'll drink from.

The only drawback really is wet paws.

I just wanted to share this and I figured here it would bring a smile rather than me being told I'm completely nuts for letting my cat have a fishtank for a water dish.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

The tank is big enough so that she can stand in it and dig around and pick exactly where she'll drink from.

Who knew a cat would need to dig before it needs to drink? Hopefully she won't 'outgrow' that container and expect a pool next.

My Nakita was the total opposite for size preference. Her favourite place to drink was from a shot glass!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

I was getting slightly worried because Nikita was turning her nose at her water a fair bit and wasn't drinking quite enough.

I mean she wasn't dehydrated but she was drinking less than she had been.

So I tried a few options and ended up dragging out a smallish empty fishtank I had lying around.

Yeah..

She's spoiled.

So now her main water container is that fishtank on the floor with around 1cm of water or so in it.

She always now digs in the water before drinking (why? I have no idea) and has happily started drinking more again so the whole thing is a success.

The only drawback really is wet paws.

I just wanted to share this and I figured here it would bring a smile rather than me being told I'm completely nuts for letting my cat have a fishtank for a water dish.
Butzie uses the toilet as her big water bowl. She digs in it too. I don't know why. She licks her paws dry after that.

Well, if you are queen of the house, don't you want the biggest bowl?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

Who knew a cat would need to dig before it needs to drink? Hopefully she won't 'outgrow' that container and expect a pool next.

My Nakita was the total opposite for size preference. Her favourite place to drink was from a shot glass!
That's my kind of cat.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a Bengal! They are always doing something new and out of the ordinary!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sweet of you
Spoiled Nikita, but she is happy so that is what matters.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, this thread is only a tease without pictures or a movie

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Rebbys favorite water dish was a giant dog bowl. It was good because he could splash to his hearts content without spilling the bowl. I found he did drink more water when I gave him this dish.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, there's a thought: Perhaps I should put a Drinkwell fountain inside a tub of some sort, like a dishpan, as my Max has recently started to paw at the water before drinking as well, which means constant puddles around the bowl.

I think the fishtank thing is a great idea!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Actually, there's a thought: Perhaps I should put a Drinkwell fountain inside a tub of some sort, like a dishpan, as my Max has recently started to paw at the water before drinking as well, which means constant puddles around the bowl.

I think the fishtank thing is a great idea!
a fish tank, or maybe a big shallow plastic tub? It would be lighter and easier to clean...

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have an unused fish tank, am seriously tempted to try it out for shinobi as he loves getting his paws wet and playing with water in the bathroom sink.

my lot have their own water bowl in the kitchen but have always chosen to use the dogs bowl in the hall.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cat I had growing up, who now lives with my parents, started trying to lick water out of the bathtub after it drained when she was a kitten. So, since we thought it wasn't safe for her to drink dirty, soapy water, my mom started putting a small bowl of water in the tub for her. Now, thirteen years later, she still has to have her own little bowl of fresh water in my parents' shower and practically refuses to drink out of the regular water dish by her food! She will even lead my mom into the bathroom to let her know when the water is not full enough. Silly cats!

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All I have to say is LOL to that story and video!!!

That's why we love cats, eh?

saundby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Phillip would splash in his bowl before drinking, too. Our other cats do it occasionally, but but Phillip would practically get in and swim. We finally took a large plate (I think it was a small serving platter) and cemented it to the bottom of a water dish to catch the worst of the splashes to protect the woodwork nearby.

My best theory is that they'll splash the water to get a better look at where it is (Menelaus helped with this idea. He'd often stick his nose in the water, come up sneezing, then give it a splash, watch, and drink without ducking his nose.

Then, some cats get fascinated by the feel of the water when they splash, so they splash some more. Phillip always liked playing in water. He liked to play in running tap water, too. When he was young he would try to turn the taps himself so that he could play. A couple of times he sprayed me down really well while I was shaving.

-Mark
http://catyarns.blogspot.com/